About Alice by Calvin Trillin

About Alice

by Calvin Trillin

All good----Alice knew what she was about and Calvin did too, and loved her all the more. ( )
  nyiper | May 8, 2016 |
"We are so lucky."
This is a heartwarming paean of love and gratitude to his wife, who had died five years earlier.
It's not sad or depressing, it is an uplifting and inspirational celebration of her as wife, mother, and very much as her own wonderful self.
Count your blessings and enjoy everything, I think that's the message. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
This book can be described as a chronicle about the author's beloved wife, Alice, but is so much more. Even though Calvin has to deal with her death, this book it's not gloomy, on the contrary, this is an ode to his love for his wife... One can not help but also love Alice too. I for one wish that I can live to be a woman, a wife and a mother like her... But most of all I hope one day I'll find someone to love just like Calvin did love her. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
This was a small book but very cute. I liked it but didn't love it so good thing it was short. ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
A short, sweet memoir about the author's wife and their life together. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
For our grandchildren - Izzy and Toby and Rebecca and Nate
There was one condolence letter that made me laugh.

Calvin Trillin's story of his courtship and marriage after his wife, Alice's, death

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0739342169, Audio CD)

In Calvin Trillin’s antic tales of family life, she was portrayed as the wife who had “a weird predilection for limiting our family to three meals a day” and the mother who thought that if you didn’t go to every performance of your child’s school play, “the county would come and take the child.” Now, five years after her death, her husband offers this loving portrait of Alice Trillin off the page–an educator who was equally at home teaching at a university or a drug treatment center, a gifted writer, a stunningly beautiful and thoroughly engaged woman who, in the words of a friend, “managed to navigate the tricky waters between living a life you could be proud of and still delighting in the many things there are to take pleasure in.”

Though it deals with devastating loss, About Alice is also a love story, chronicling a romance that began at a Manhattan party when Calvin Trillin desperately tried to impress a young woman who “seemed to glow.”
“You have never again been as funny as you were that night,” Alice would say, twenty or thirty years later.
“You mean I peaked in December of 1963?”
“I’m afraid so.”

But he never quit trying to impress her. In his writing, she was sometimes his subject and always his muse. The dedication of the first book he published after her death read, “I wrote this for Alice. Actually, I wrote everything for Alice.”

In that spirit, Calvin Trillin has, with About Alice, created a gift to the wife he adored and to his readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:32 -0400)

In a tribute to his late wife, Alice, and their relationship, the author celebrates the life of a remarkable woman who played a vital role in his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,925,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible