Universal Harvester: A Novel by John…

Universal Harvester: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2018)

by John Darnielle (Author)

"The second novel from the author of Wolf in White Van, inspired by his years living in a small town in Iowa"--
Member:jxn
Title:Universal Harvester: A Novel
Authors:John Darnielle (Author)
Info:Picador (2018), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages

Universal Harvester: A Novel by John Darnielle (2017)

The Last Days of Video: A Novel by Jeremy Hawkins (sturlington)
    sturlington: These books are not at all alike except that they both feature small-town video stores, they are both by North Carolina writers, and they are both good reads.

Well-written and original, just not the story I was looking for. ( )
  otaginenbutsuji | Nov 12, 2019 |
this one is hard to rate. i liked the writing, the non-linear storytelling, the atmosphere, and the tension— but it left me feeling unsatisfied overall.
  bunnyhero | Oct 11, 2019 |
The first section really creeped me out, but the story got jumbled and went downhill from there. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Apr 12, 2019 |
Universal Harvester is a fascinating psychological drama with a baffling mystery attached. Jeremy Heldt is a clerk at a dying video store when customers begin returning tapes and telling him that there is something strange recorded on them. In another time, a mother is seduced away from her family by a religious cult. Above it all, a narrator who seems at times to be more than omniscient. It is a novel that may seem disjointed, but which does all come together in the end, though it does ask for some effort on the readers' part to interpret what they have been given. This is one of the best things I've read in a while; I stayed up late to read it and will likely be thinking about it for some time. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
Darnielle's writing is so magnetic and his narratives so mysterious and even just plain weird that I just love it. Universal Harvester is more less focused than his previous novel but more complex. I didn't quite feel like everything was spelled out for me by the end but sometimes that's okay. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
But secret agents, like God, only give signs to their confidants. They are also very cruel and even unhappy at times. At any rate, they keep quiet. BENJAMIN TAMMUZ, Minotaur, translated from the Hebrew by Kim Parfitt and Mildred Budny
to Nancy Chavanothai: in loving memory
People usually didn't say anything when they returned their tapes to the Video Hut: in a single and somewhat graceful movement, they'd approach the counter, slide the tape toward whoever was stationed behind the register, and wheel back toward the door.
That’s what pictures are for, after all: to stand in place of the things that weren’t left behind, to bear witness to people and places and things that might otherwise go unnoticed.

The second novel from the author of Wolf in White Van, inspired by his years living in a small town in Iowa.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,568,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible