Chickenhare by Chris Grine

Chickenhare (original 2006; edition 2013)

by Chris Grine

Member:4sarad
Title:Chickenhare
Authors:Chris Grine
Info:GRAPHIX (2013), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:adventure, comics, graphic novels, beasts, taxidermy

Chickenhare by Chris Grine (2006)

1 pts (1) 2.2 (1) 2013 (6) @Kids (1) animal abuse (1) animals (2) AR 2.2 (1) ARC (1) boys (2) cartoonart (1) children (2) comic (2) comics (6) Comix (2) Dark Horse (2) ebook (2) editing (1) fantasy (4) fiction (4) ghosts (2) girls (2) graphic novel (24) humor (3) humor comics (1) quirky (2) Scholastic (2) strips (1) taxidermy (2) teen (2) unsolicited (1)

As I was entering this book into my database I discovered that it had been published previously by Dark Horse. No mention of this is made on the copyright page. Fortunately sample pages of the original, still in print, are available online for viewing and after comparing them I can see that the new edition by Scholastic has first and foremost been colourized (the original is b/w) and secondly been edited to make it more suitable for children. I get the feeling the original was written for an older audience. Example of edits from the sample: "idiots" becomes "fools"; "You suck" becomes "You smell like cheese". I liked this book; it is a dark, creepy story that deals with abuse though the subject matter may fly over the heads of the publisher's recommended age group 8-12. A more mature mind readily sees the sometimes implied dark world and violence hiding very close to the surface. There is a dead animal who comes back to life complete with broken legs and rib bones visible. The animal ran away because he was abused but blames himself for his tormentor's now murderous evil ways ... if only he had stayed!? All the bad guys meet their fate at the end in quite gruesome ways. So, overall the story is quite deceiving from the cute cover and artwork found within. Now, personally, I like dark, creepy stories and read this very quickly in one sitting finding it's black humour witty, seeing the message below the surface, and a fun read. However, I'm not sure I would recommend it to Scholastic's audience. I let my 13yo read it and he didn't get it. His verdict was "weird" as he handed the book back to me. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 27, 2013 |
Meh. Not much story to the story. Or humor... ( )
  DeweyEver | Apr 30, 2013 |
“Chickenhare” is an all aged, vibrantly flavored graphic novel with a a uniquely playful cast of characters who can't seem to stay out of trouble. Chickehare is exactly what it sounds like , a part chicken, part hare, making him the rarest animal ever to be found. Barley has taken Chickenhare and Abe, the turtle, and is going to sell them to a a crazy man who likes to stuff animals, dress them up and place them in cabinets. While sitting in his cage, he meets Banjo and Meg and together they come up with a pan to escape. Of course once they escape it becomes a race to not be caught. Can Chickehare and his friends make it to safety before getting hurt or snatched up again?

This is a must have book to add to your home library, to give as a gift, or an easy way to encourage children to love reading. I know you will enjoy this book as much as I did. ( )
  crayolakym | Apr 11, 2013 |
ChickenHare is a graphic novel series picked up by Scholastic's Graphix imprint. They've been touting it as a successor to Bone, but my gn friends said it really wasn't that good. Well, being the book skeptic that I am, I just had to see for myself. Warning: Ahead there be spoilers.

So, it's not so much that it's not good (although it's pretty humdrum art and overall text - looks like every other full color, clean-lined graphic novel Graphix puts out really) it's more that it's COMPLETELY FREAKING WEIRD INSANITY.

The story opens with a guy walking through the snow with what appears to be a rabbit and a turtle in his backpack and he informs them he's going to sell them to this crazy taxidermist. His name is Mr. Klaus. He looks like Santa Claus, except for the...uh...badly taxidermied animals he keeps fondling. They make a bid for freedom by insulting the picture of the taxidermist's long-lost...friend (I really, really hope they were just friends) goat Mr. Buttons. Mr. Buttons appears to have gotten tired of being beaten and run away forty years previously. The rabbit is really the rare ChickenHare and the turtle is a whiskered chelonai. They are imprisoned in bird cages with two other weird animals, a monkey-like creature named Banjo and a somewhat psychotic elf-like girl named Meg who has spunky female heroine written all over her. We discover the turtle's name is Abe, but ChickenHare is just...ChickenHare. They manage to escape, breaking the legs of the jailer in the process and damaging the butler. Mr. Klaus forces them to get into his sleigh and go after his fleeing taxidermy subjects anyways. ChickenHare gets separated from the other animals, who meet some strange little creatures who keep saying that Banjo is a "krampus" which is apparently something bad. ChickenHare meanwhile follows the ghost of a goat and discovers the body of Mr. Buttons - he fell into a crevice, broke his legs, and starved to death. His ghost has just been waiting for someone to come along and thaw his frozen body a little so he can get back in. They all meet up again (including the broken-legged corpse of Mr. Buttons) and have a battle. Mr. Buttons lures Mr. Klaus over the ice and they plunge into a freezing lake and die (well, sort of, the goat was already dead...). The weird little creatures have a feast, Mr. Buttons' ghost shows up and says all is well, and after discovering that the feast was Mr. Klaus' butler and his other servants (YES THEY WERE EATING PEOPLE OMG) they set out on their journey home.

Verdict: I...have no words to describe this. I mean, I don't mind serious subjects in a kids' comic but this makes no sense. "Oh, yeah, in this world Santa is a psychotic, brutal taxidermist" and "sure, let's just eat the bad guys" coupled with the typical kidsy art of Graphix kind of blows my mind. Especially the subtext of Mr. Buttons - stay with an abusive person so they don't hurt anyone else. I can see kids reading this, but I can't see myself spending any of the library's budget on it. I think I'll buy new copies of Bone instead.

ISBN: 9780545485081; This edition published 2013 by Scholastic/Graphix; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Apr 7, 2013 |
Wow, surprisingly dark for a GN with a talking half chicken, half rabbit. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |

What do you get when you cross a chicken with a hare? The funniest, most exciting all-ages graphic novel of ALL TIME!

Night is falling on the frozen landscape as Chickenhare and his turtle friend Abe find themselves on their way to be sold to Klaus--an insane taxidermist with a penchant for unique animals and enough emotional baggage to go on a very long vacation!

With the help of two mysterious new companions (not to mention a very friendly, very dead goat!), Chickenhare and Abe might be able to escape, but... where? Right into the lair of the deadly cave-dwelling critters known as the Shromph! ... er, Shromps? Shromphses? Nevermind! Just get ready for some fun!

"Night is falling on the frozen landscape as Chickenhare and his turtle friend Abe find themselves on their way to be sold to Klaus, an insane taxidermist with a penchant for unique animals and enough emotional baggage to go on a very long vacation. With the help of two mysterious new companions, our fuzzy, feathered, and amphibious heroes endeavor to escape their dire fate. But they soon discover that might not be so easy when they get caught up in an adventure that could bring Klaus's villainy to an end for good... or they all might die" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible