My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood

My Sister's Bones

by Nuala Ellwood

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
- "a psychological thriller about a war reporter who returns to her childhood home after her mother's death and becomes convinced that all is not well in the house next door - but is what she's seeing real or a symptom of the trauma she suffered in Syria?"

A very well written debut novel filled with twists and turns - some predictable, some not. An interesting read all the way through, but when you get towards the end it becomes a crazy, twisted, spine-tingling, can't put down, need to find out how it ends kind of book!

Thank you, LibraryThing for the opportunity to read this advanced copy. ( )
  TracyLeigh | Jun 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
MY SISTER'S BONES is a gloomy, dark psychological thriller set in both Herne Bay in the UK and Aleppo, Syria. The author does a brilliant job writing a politically relevant story; it's incredibly well-researched. The story itself, however, is not political. At heart, it's a run of the mill psychological thriller that solidly incorporates Syria, the ramifications of domestic violence, and mental illnesses.

Kate has been covering the Syrian conflict as a field journalist in Aleppo, and comes back to her hometown of Herne Bay suffering from PTSD. Her mother has just passed away and her sister is an alcoholic. While staying at her mother's old house and battling her own psychological demons, she notices that something is off about the house next door -- but could it just be her PTSD-induced hallucinations and paranoia? ( )
  wildrequiem | Jun 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was an excellent thriller with lots of unexpected twists and turns. There are two sisters coming from the same background. Sally becomes an alcoholic and Kate has a career as a journalist. When their mother passes, Kate returns to put some of her family affairs in order.

Kate has seen many horrible things in her career as a journalist in Syria. As she begins suspecting/seeing things she and others begin to question her sanity. Her sister seems to be past hope as her daughter has disappeared and Sally continues to drink herself into oblivion. There are many unexpected events that bring their paths together and make this a wonderful read.

Reader received a complimentary copy from Library Thing Early reviewers. ( )
  dgmlrhodes | Jun 10, 2017 |
Wow did this one pack a wallop! It's been a very long time since a book made me gasp out loud and this one did. This is really a very compelling page turner. I was so surprised to learn this was a debut book for the author. Hopefully she has many more to come. Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy for an honest review. ( )
  Kathl33n | Jun 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood was a wonderful book. The subject matter is difficult, several times I cried. But it was tightly written, had very compelling characters, and an ending I was not prepared for. Her descriptions of PTSD were spot on, and she deftly navigated the unreliable narrator plot device. I wonderful novel and I strongly recommend it. ( )
  erikschreppel | May 31, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0241977274, Hardcover)

'COMPELLING AND INTRIGUING, RIGHT FROM THE VERY FIRST PAGE' Sharon Bolton, Sunday Times bestselling author of Like This, For Ever Kate Rafter is a high-flying war reporter. She's the strong one. The one who escaped their father. Her younger sister Sally didn't. Instead, she drinks. But when their mother dies, Kate is forced to return to the old family home. And on her very first night she is woken by a scream. At first Kate tells herself it's just a nightmare. But then terrifying things start to happen, things she can't explain... What secret is lurking in her mother's garden? And what if the real danger is where you least expect it? 'A stunning book. I was drawn in by Nuala Ellwood's hypnotic, haunting and elegant prose. Compelling, unsettling and powerful this is a book that will stay with me for a long time' C. L. Taylor 'Loved I Let You Go and Behind Closed Doors? My Sister's Bones is guaranteed to be this year's most twisty and twisted read - you'll never see what's coming!' Ava Marsh, author of UNTOUCHABLE 'Gripping and beautifully written, My Sister's Bones is a tense, atmospheric, deliciously dark story' Amanda Jennings, author of IN HER WAKE 'An accomplished and page-turning thriller. It twists and turns in so many directions it's impossible to guess where it's going next' - Nicholas Searle, author of THE GOOD LIAR 'Ellwood's protagonist Kate is a female hero in the best sense, flawed but brave. Very quickly you are sucked into her fragile, damaged world, and no longer know what is real or imaginary' Helen Callaghan, author of DEAR AMY

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 25 Aug 2016 06:34:32 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nuala Ellwood's book My Sister's Bones is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible