My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood

My Sister's Bones

by Nuala Ellwood

191537,190 (4)1

After a short prologue we are thrown straight into the action in My Sister's Bones. Journalist, Kate Rafter, has returned from Syria and is struggling to cope after what she saw whilst reporting on the events there. She has been detained at the police station due to some disturbing behaviour, her sister, Sally, is a long-term alcoholic and their mother has died, so Kate has returned to Herne Bay, the place where she suffered at the hands of her violent father.

Kate is definitely what I would call an unreliable narrator. I never knew, for a large part of this book, whether I could trust what she was telling me or not. The blurb is quite sparse and I was never entirely sure where the story was going. All of a sudden, around the half way point, there was an unexpected turn of events and the story went in a different direction. As the end approached I had an idea about what was going to happen but even that went much further that I could have imagined.

This is a really great psychological thriller, and one which I thought was a bit different to some of the others out there. The pace never slowed and there are plenty of twists and turns which kept me interested all the way through. I was so engrossed at one point that I nearly missed my stop on the tram.

This is an extremely accomplished debut novel. I'm looking forward to seeing what Nuala Ellwood does next as I think she's a skilled writer and obviously very good at plotting a compelling novel. ( )
  nicx27 | Nov 16, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0241977274, Hardcover)

'COMPELLING AND INTRIGUING, RIGHT FROM THE VERY FIRST PAGE' Sharon Bolton, Sunday Times bestselling author of Like This, For Ever Kate Rafter is a high-flying war reporter. She's the strong one. The one who escaped their father. Her younger sister Sally didn't. Instead, she drinks. But when their mother dies, Kate is forced to return to the old family home. And on her very first night she is woken by a scream. At first Kate tells herself it's just a nightmare. But then terrifying things start to happen, things she can't explain... What secret is lurking in her mother's garden? And what if the real danger is where you least expect it? 'A stunning book. I was drawn in by Nuala Ellwood's hypnotic, haunting and elegant prose. Compelling, unsettling and powerful this is a book that will stay with me for a long time' C. L. Taylor 'Loved I Let You Go and Behind Closed Doors? My Sister's Bones is guaranteed to be this year's most twisty and twisted read - you'll never see what's coming!' Ava Marsh, author of UNTOUCHABLE 'Gripping and beautifully written, My Sister's Bones is a tense, atmospheric, deliciously dark story' Amanda Jennings, author of IN HER WAKE 'An accomplished and page-turning thriller. It twists and turns in so many directions it's impossible to guess where it's going next' - Nicholas Searle, author of THE GOOD LIAR 'Ellwood's protagonist Kate is a female hero in the best sense, flawed but brave. Very quickly you are sucked into her fragile, damaged world, and no longer know what is real or imaginary' Helen Callaghan, author of DEAR AMY

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 25 Aug 2016 06:34:32 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible