A Life in Parts by Bryan Cranston

A Life in Parts (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Bryan Cranston (Author)

Member:pickupsticks
Title:A Life in Parts
Authors:Bryan Cranston (Author)
Info:Scribner (2017), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:memoir

A Life in Parts by Bryan Cranston (2016)

Please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com to see this review and others.

A Life in Parts, by Bryan Cranston is a memoir about the author.

I really like Bryan Cranston and chose to read this so I could learn more about him, other than the parts he's played in movies and TV. I absolutely loved it. I love the way it's written because it kept my attention, stayed interesting, and went through parts of his childhood and early career.

There are many interesting things about him and experiences he had that you simply won't know if you pass up this great book. There's way more substance besides Breaking Bad here.

I would recommend this to any Cranston fan or to anyone who wants to know more about him.

4**** and glad to have read it. ( )
  Mischenko | Nov 30, 2017 |
I saw Bryan Cranston interviewed on the Graham Norton Show where he spoke about his book. I don't read many biographies, but it sounded interesting and amusing so I bought a copy. I did not know much about Bryan Cranston and had not seen Malcolm in the Middle or Breaking Bad, the two major credits Bryan talks about throughout the book. I enjoyed the book and Bryan comes across as a pretty down to earth sort of person, having survived a fairly fractured childhood and difficult parental relationships.. Bryan gives plenty of insights into the craft of acting and the rigours of casting and gaining worthwhile roles. Having read the book, I will be on the lookout for reruns of Malcolm in the Middle. Breaking Bad, however, while obviously a role which brought Bryan much deserved fame and accolade does not sound like my cup of tea. This was an easy to read, interesting and enjoyable book. ( )
  PriscillaM | Nov 16, 2017 |
I listened to this memoir which was read by the author. Most people will know Bryan Cranston as the star of Breaking Bad and, I confess, that is where I first became aware of him. I have also seen him in the movie Trumbo and on both the large and the small screen I was impressed by his acting abilities. So when I saw this audiobook was available as a download from my local library I was eager to listen to it.

Cranston has broken the book into small chapters focused on one aspect of his life. For instance, in the part entitled "Brother" he tells how he and his brother took their Honda motorcycles on an extensive road trip in the US. It was during that trip that Bryan decided he was going to be an actor. He had been set to go to a police academy on their return but he realized that he wanted to do something he loved even if he had to work at being good at it (as opposed to something he was good at but didn't love). This aim focused his life and he achieved success. Throughout his career he seems to have managed to maintain his equilibrium. He tells the story of coming home from the Emmies the first time he was nominated and being handed a bag of stinky garbage to take out. Just another day in the life of an actor.

It was interesting to find out more about this man. I think anyone who followed Breaking Bad to its dramatic conclusion would enjoy this book. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 12, 2017 |
So many Walter White references (yessss!). ( )
  liv_books | Apr 18, 2017 |
3.5 ( )
  staceyfronczak | Mar 12, 2017 |

A poignant, intimate, funny, inspiring memoir - both a coming-of-age story and a meditation on creativity, devotion, and craft - from Bryan Cranston, beloved and acclaimed star of one of history's most successful TV shows, Breaking Bad. Bryan Cranston landed his first role at seven, when his father cast him in a United Way commercial. Acting was clearly the boy's destiny, until one day his father disappeared. Destiny suddenly took a backseat to survival. Now, in his riveting memoir, Cranston maps his zigzag journey from abandoned son to beloved star by recalling the many odd parts he's played in real life - paperboy, farmhand, security guard, dating consultant, murder suspect, dock loader, lover, husband, father. Cranston also chronicles his evolution on camera, from soap opera player trying to master the rules of show business to legendary character actor turning in classic performances as Seinfeld dentist Tim Whatley, "a sadist with newer magazines," and Malcolm in the Middle dad Hal Wilkerson, a lovable bumbler in tighty-whities. He also gives an inspiring account of how he prepared, physically and mentally, for the challenging role of President Lyndon Johnson, a tour de force that won him a Tony to go along with his four Emmys. Of course, Cranston dives deep into the grittiest details of his greatest role, explaining how he searched inward for the personal darkness that would help him create one of the most memorable performances ever captured on screen: Walter White, chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin. Discussing his life as few men do, describing his art as few actors can, Cranston has much to say about creativity, devotion, and craft, as well as innate talent and its challenges and benefits and proper maintenance. But ultimately A Life in Parts is a story about the joy, the necessity, and the transformative power of simple hard work.

"Bryan Cranston landed his first role at seven, when his father cast him in a United Way commercial. Acting was clearly the boy's destiny, until one day his father disappeared. Destiny suddenly took a backseat to survival. Now, in his riveting memoir, Cranston maps his zigzag journey from abandoned son to beloved star by recalling the many odd parts he's played in real life-paperboy, farmhand, security guard, dating consultant, murder suspect, dock loader, lover, husband, father. Cranston also chronicles his evolution on camera, from soap opera player trying to master the rules of show business to legendary character actor turning in classic performances as Seinfeld dentist Tim Whatley, 'a sadist with newer magazines, ' and Malcolm in the Middle dad Hal Wilkerson, a lovable bumbler in tighty-whities. He also gives an inspiring account of how he prepared, physically and mentally, for the challenging role of President Lyndon Johnson, a tour de force that won him a Tony to go along with his four Emmys. Of course, Cranston dives deep into the grittiest details of his greatest role, explaining how he searched inward for the personal darkness that would help him create one of the most memorable performances ever captured on screen: Walter White, chemistry teacher turned drug kingpin. Discussing his life as few men do, describing his art as few actors can, Cranston has much to say about creativity, devotion, and craft, as well as innate talent and its challenges and benefits and proper maintenance. But ultimately A Life in Parts is a story about the joy, the necessity, and the transformative power of simple hard work."--Jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,630,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible