The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries…

The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes

by Lyndsay Faye

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked these stories a lot! While they're not precisely Conan Doyle's Sherlock and Watson, they are in the same vein -- real mysteries, solved with deduction. No time travel, ghosts, romances (for Holmes, at least), vampires or improbable travels or partnerships. I also liked the idea of writing up stories for the case titles that were teased in the original stories. Worth reading if you're a Holmes fan. ( )
  jjlangel | Apr 9, 2018 |
This book was pretty good, probably the best modern take on Doyle's style; I will say it tries very hard to mitigate Holmes' less desirable qualities. That's fine, but that's also the part where I saw the seams showing, so to speak. ( )
  Dez.dono | Mar 27, 2018 |
Still not getting into the big anthologies.

The stories though by themselves are good, good atmosphere, the presentation is good, the usage of time appropriate speech and all such the like. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Faye's Dust and Shadow.

I just found again I like the original canon to any other "big set of Holmes stories" ( )
  LGandT | Jan 31, 2018 |
Someone else's review: One of my favorites is "The Diadem Club Affair," a fun story told in Holmes' own voice, not least because of the character of flibbertigibbet Lord Chesley Templeton and because it has a nice twist at the end that introduces the Baroness Orzy. The other story told from Holmes' point of view - "The Gaskell Blackmailing Dilemma" - is also a favorite, though a bit darker and not as much pure fun. Stories that are prequels and pick up on details just mentioned in the regular Holmes stories. Why Holmes stayed in London and sent Doyle to Baskerville for example. ( )
  flashflood42 | Jan 25, 2018 |
I have read quite a lot of Sherlock Holmes stories written by authors than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Some good, some less than good. However, this collection is one of the finest I have ever read and the stories really feel like they were written by Conan Doyle himself.

The book's stories are both before he met Watson and both before and after his "death". All stories are high in quality and some are easier to solve than others. I especially like the dynamic relationship between Watson and Holmes. Sometimes, Watson is made out to be a stumbling buffoon, but in this collection is Watson more a fitting partner to Holmes. They work well together, and they are very good friends.

In this book, we meet damsels in distress, murders, thieves, etc. One story that comes to mind is one that takes place during The Hound of Baskerville because it's told through Holmes point of view, and also because it explains why Holmes stayed back in London while Watsons traveled to Dartmoor with Sir. Baskerville. And, that is just one story among many good.

It's a splendid collection, and now I want to read Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

Internationally bestselling author Lyndsay Faye was introduced to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries when she was ten years old and her dad suggested she read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s short story “The Adventure of the Speckled Band.” She immediately became enamored with tales of Holmes and his esteemed biographer Dr. John Watson, and later, began spinning these quintessential characters into her own works of fiction—from her acclaimed debut novel, Dust and Shadow, which pitted the famous detective against Jack the Ripper, to a series of short stories for the Strand Magazine, whose predecessor published the very first Sherlock Holmes short story in 1891.

Faye’s best Holmes tales, including two new works, are brought together in The Whole Art of Detection, a stunning collection that spans Holmes’s career, from self-taught young upstart to publicly lauded detective, both before and after his faked death over a Swiss waterfall in 1894. In “The Lowther Park Mystery,” the unsociable Holmes is forced to attend a garden party at the request of his politician brother and improvises a bit of theater to foil a conspiracy against the government. “The Adventure of the Thames Tunnel” brings Holmes’s attention to the baffling murder of a jewel thief in the middle of an underground railway passage. With Holmes and Watson encountering all manner of ungrateful relatives, phony psychologists, wronged wives, plaid-garbed villains, and even a peculiar species of deadly red leech, The Whole Art of Detection is a must-read for Sherlockians and any fan of historical crime fiction with a modern sensibility.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 27 Aug 2016 17:34:12 -0400)

Internationally bestselling author Lyndsay Faye was introduced to the Sherlock Holmes mysteries when she was ten years old and her dad suggested she read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short story "The Adventure of the Speckled Band." She immediately became enamored with tales of Holmes and his esteemed biographer Dr. John Watson, and later, began spinning these quintessential characters into her own works of fiction--from her acclaimed debut novel, Dust and Shadow, which pitted the famous detective against Jack the Ripper, to a series of short stories for the Strand Magazine, whose predecessor published the very first Sherlock Holmes short story in 1891. Faye's best Holmes tales, including two new works, are brought together in The Whole Art of Detection, a stunning collection that spans Holmes's career, from self-taught young upstart to publicly lauded detective, both before and after his faked death over a Swiss waterfall in 1894. In "The Lowther Park Mystery," the unsociable Holmes is forced to attend a garden party at the request of his politician brother and improvises a bit of theater to foil a conspiracy against the government. "The Adventure of the Thames Tunnel" brings Holmes's attention to the baffling murder of a jewel thief in the middle of an underground railway passage. With Holmes and Watson encountering all manner of ungrateful relatives, phony psychologists, wronged wives, plaid-garbed villains, and even a peculiar species of deadly red leech, The Whole Art of Detection is a must-read for Sherlockians and any fan of historical crime fiction with a modern sensibility.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lyndsay Faye's book The Whole Art of Detection: Lost Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,841,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible