dismiss

Black Skin, White Masks (1952)

by Frantz Fanon

The explosion will not happen today. It is too soon ... or too late.First published in English in 1968, Frantz Fanon's seminal text was immediately acclaimed as a classic of black liberationalist writing. Fanon's descriptions of the feelings of inadequacy and dependence experienced by people of colour in a white world are as salient and as compelling as ever. Fanon identifies a devastating pathology at the heart of Western culture, a denial of difference, that persists to this day. His writings speak to all who continue the struggle for political and cultural liberation in our troubled times.… (more)
    Banjo: A Story without a Plot by Claude McKay (eromsted)
    eromsted: Harlem Renaissance era novel. Somehow I kept thinking of Fanon when I read it.

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
Fanon flayed me. His rich and concise prose, arguments, have considerable breadth for such a slim volume. His points about the culpability of all in a society for the atrocities those in power inflict, is moving, damning, and necessary.

---

Returning to Black Skin, White Masks during 2020 only underscored my earlier points. I appreciated Fanon's rhetorical experimentation more this go around, his attempt (as writing is always an attempt) at rendering the phenomenological experience as a Black man in text was confounding and provocative.
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
Black Skin, White Masks is a 1952 book by Frantz Fanon, a psychiatrist and intellectual from Martinique. A major influence on civil rights, anti-colonial, and black consciousness movements around the world, Black Skin, White Masks is the unsurpassed study of the black psyche in a white world. Hailed for its scientific analysis and poetic grace when it was first published in 1952, the book remains a vital force today from one of the most important theorists of revolutionary struggle, colonialism, and racial difference in history.
  soualibra | Jan 9, 2020 |
在非洲,可以輕易地在膚色上,去判斷出統治階層與被統治階層,是兩種不同的族群(或種族)。但若是統治階層​與被統治階層,無論是膚色、外貌,甚至生活習慣,都相當類似的時候呢?我們會說這不是殖民主義?或者會說,​
  maoozilla | Apr 2, 2019 |
this book is a wound. it is a seminal text in (to borrow from berger) ways of seeing--and, along with audre lorde's sister outsider, it taught me about the uses of anger. ( )
  subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |
Not sure why I originally gave this four stars. Was reading parts of it the other day and it deserves all of the stars, obviously. ( )
  subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |

Frantz Fanonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Markmann, Charles LamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Points (26)
Don't expect to see any explosion today. It's too early...or too late.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,067,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible