In the strictest Confidence (A Frankie…

In the strictest Confidence (A Frankie Wilson Mystery) (Volume 1)

by K Britt-Badman

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byWesleyH

No tags.

In the strictest Confidence by K. Brit-Badman is a mystery told from the point of view of a counselor. Sher encounters several clients and deals with some disconcerting events in her personal life.
The characters are believable. I found myself empathizing with them and sharing the feelings Frankie felt toward them. I was also so drawn into their stories that when the plot twists occur, I was definitely surprised.
I found the writing style to be easy to read. After finishing each chapter, I felt like I wanted to read the next one. Uncharacteristically for me, I finished the book rather quickly.
Many of the chapters in the book use a journal-style to present the sessions Frankie has with her clients. These chapters even close with her notes on the consulting session. The other chapters describe events outside of her work and take on a more “traditional” form. All of the chapters are well-written and the flow is excellent. I found the first dozen or so chapters to be slow as the client characters and their problems are revealed to Frankie. Those chapters did not (IMHO) feel like a mystery. When strange things begin to happen to Frankie starting with her car being broken into, the story transforms into a mystery. The last third of the book is more classic mystery with more questions about what her clients really are up to. The last eight chapters are quite thrilling with action (my preference).
The author has a background in counseling and she brings that experience to this book. The exchanges the main character has with her clients reads like actual counseling sessions. This makes the characters and their relationships believable. The techniques the main character, Francesca 'Frankie' Wilson uses seem to come right out a psychological clinician’s handbook. New authors are taught to “write what you know” and the author seems to do that. However, sometimes an author can tell too much about what they know to the reader and not focus on the core story. In the strictest Confidence is advertised as a mystery not a vehicle to educate the readers about counseling or the plight of deaf people or the several other topics that are only peripherally relevant to the main story. In my opinion, the author provides too much detail on some of these peripheral topics. The reader expects a mystery and the author needs to focus on the mystery story.
I think In the strictest Confidence is a very good first novel. I really like the cover. I do judge a book by its cover. It was the thing that initially drew me to the book after the author’s announcement on GoodReads. ( )
  WesleyH | Aug 29, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

K Britt-Badman's book In the strictest Confidence was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

K Britt-Badman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,187,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible