Drifting in the Push by Daniel Garrison

Drifting in the Push

by Daniel Garrison

721,583,561 (3.33)None

I would describe Drifting in the Push by Daniel Garrison as a combination of life/travel/coming-of-age memoir. The book contains a collection of stories and experiences from the author’s childhood through to a young adult. Each short story could be read as a stand-alone, but they work nicely as a group and had a natural flow to them.

After reading the book, I find it amazing that the author lived to write about his adventures. Anyone else would have succumbed. I am still shaking my head in wonder about how he managed to walk away from his first car adventure. I can honestly say I do not know anyone that has had so many near death experiences. Call it what you like, but Lady Luck and/or his guardian Angel (I am sure it took both) did a first rate job of looking after him.

Now that I have finished the book and have had time to reflect on what I read, I have a real appreciation for this young man’s tenacity. Any ordinary person would have given up and gone back home to family. Not Dan, he refused to let things like no running water, no working shower or toilet stop him. He was not only stubborn but creative and resourceful.

I accepted the request to read and review this book because it would fulfill a task on this year’s Book Riot Reading Challenge and I had also enjoyed reading Braving It by James Cameron. I truly was expecting something different; yet I enjoyed it. The author’s candid and vivid descriptions of his escapades made it a quick read. Anybody who likes adventure stories, whether they are fiction or non-fiction, will enjoy Drifting in the Push. As for myself, I am looking forward to the next installment.

I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review.

For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my blog at www.thespineview.com. ( )
  purpledog | Oct 9, 2017 |
A memoir that reads more as fiction than reality, this adventurous trek of one young man will inspire readers to go out there and take a chance on their futures. Adventure is just around the corner if you'll only follow it! Going all the way back to his early childhood years, Dan is the kind of person you just want to be friends with. Always eager to lend a hand, hard working, fun, and a little naive, he's the kind of guy who you'd love to shoot the shit with. Whether it's summer jobs that should have been thought through, horrible living conditions (imagine the worst place you've ever seen, and then double it), partying a little too hard in college, or trying vainly to get the girl, Dan has a story to top yours. When he graduated college with no prospects he decided that something would come to him and he eventually ended up living in Alaska doing odd jobs until he fell into carpentry and finally got steady employ. Always at his side is his lovable sidekick Hank, part husky, part mutt, all around adorable and central to nearly every story. Together they battle bears, drug dealers, hypothermia, and ant-freeze, nothing is insurmountable when they are together. An enjoyable funny read that will definitely leave you wanting to know how the story continues. I'm eagerly awaiting the follow up! ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 31, 2016 |

Drifting in the Push is a fast-paced, comical romp that takes the reader on a journey through the unintentional adventures of one man’s reality. From the Rocky Mountains to the Pacific Ocean, from Mexico to Alaska, missteps, stubborn obstacles, and fate are his constant companions, along with an offbeat assortment of entertaining characters. From time to time, his escapades include his two childhood friends—Bryan, who follows him to the unforgiving Arctic, and Shane, who steers him down an unpleasant alley or two. Amid this craziness, he picks up another friend—Hank, his devoted dog. This chronological series of interdependent short stories will take you from fear to love, amusement to surprise, and it just might occasionally leave a tear in your eye.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 31 Aug 2016 17:28:41 -0400)

Daniel Garrison is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,126,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible