Chasing Embers by James Bennett

Chasing Embers

by James Bennett

I am just not connecting with the deeply depressed main character - made it in a little ways but he is still wallowing in self pity ( )
  jason9292 | Dec 23, 2018 |
Three stars because I liked the story even while some of the writing was overblown at times and heavy on the info dumps. I liked Rose very much; she deserves better than Ben. Ben is a jerk and even though he eventually admits it himself that still wasn't enough to make me like him. The world interested me, especially tying the treaty to the Magna Carta. I'll probably read the second book when it's available. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
The story was interesting. The author is very poetic, however, sometimes it took twice the time to tell the tale and I unfortunately was often aware of that and thus taken out of the story.n I still think it's worth the read. ( )
  kmmsb459 | Feb 7, 2018 |
I really wanted to like this book. And I don't actually think the story is bad in any way. However, the writing style really put me off. It was far too descriptive and I just couldn't focus on what was actually happening. The other reason I didn't like this book is because I didn't really care about any of the characters. I wasn't able to form a bond with any of them enough to want to read more about them. Like I mentioned before, this story isn't a bad one at all. It's got plenty of action and a fast-moving pace. However, it just didn't cut it for me, and so I'm going to have to add this to my DNF list. I hope that others who are interested in urban fantasy will still give this novel a shot because there is definitely potential in the overall story!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
I received this book via Goodreads first reads for an honest review, thank you!

The cover of the books has this beautiful red shining, I suppose tail of the "dragon-thing" and the main character's name is Red Ben, although no matter how far I was my image for him was everything but not red.

I really enjoyed the language and the way plot creates the scenes, atmosphere. The book very much reminded me of a TV series ages ago, called "Highlander", I blame it to the old tale and England's part, as well as living like forever and the dialogues, action scenes.

Overall, of course, the Chasing Embers involves loyal main character, Ben, who has given his word to once sealed peace deal over the "creatures" war by the Pact and actually follows it. On the other hand there are those also sworn, but found it too difficult and boring to actually follow the rule, thus rule-breakers are more than Ben could ever have suspected..which will lead to action and fantasy, mythological, religion and historical elements as well as witches, evil and relationship between Ben and Rose. Its about fighting what you believe for. Action, action, action. Nice! ( )
  ilonita50 | Nov 18, 2016 |
For my family,
who believed
Once upon a time, there was a happy-ever-after. Or at least a shot at one.

Behind every myth, there's a spark of truth...

There's nothing special about Ben Garston. He's just a guy with an attitude in a beat-up leather jacket, drowning his sorrows in a downtown bar. Or so he'd have you believe.

What Ben Garston can't let you know is that he was once known as Red Ben. That the world of myth and legend isn't just a fantasy, as we've been led to believe. And he certainly can't let you know the secret of what's hiding just beneath his skin...

But not even Ben knows what kind of hell is about to break loose. A centuries-old rivalry has just resurfaced, and the delicate balance between his world and ours is about to be shattered.

"A thrilling fusion of myth and modernity, Chasing Embers will have you rooting for dragons over humans and loving every minute of it." -- Kevin Hearne, New York Times bestselling author of Hounded

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:09:24 -0400)

Behind every myth there is a spark of truth ? There's nothing special about Ben Garston. Or so he'd have you believe. He won't tell you, for instance, that he's also known as Red Ben. Or that the world of myth and legend is more real than you think. Because it's his job to keep all that a secret. But now a centuries-old rivalry has resurfaced, and the delicate balance between his world and ours is about to be shattered. Something is hiding in the heart of the city - and it's about to be unleashed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,603,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible