Brandon Sanderson's White Sand Volume 1 by…

Brandon Sanderson's White Sand Volume 1 (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Brandon Sanderson (Author), Julius M Gopez (Artist)

Member:SetsunaMin
Title:Brandon Sanderson's White Sand Volume 1
Authors:Brandon Sanderson (Author)
Other authors:Julius M Gopez (Artist)
Info:Dynamite Entertainment (2016), 160 pages
Collections:Your library, My print books

Brandon Sanderson's White Sand Volume 1 by Brandon Sanderson (2016)

Sadly, this is the typical comic book adaptation of what should have been a full length novel. In such adaptation, it's always the same pattern; The first issue seems to takes it's time and it almost read like a novel and you get hooked, thinking "YES, finally a true graphic NOVEL" But by the second issue, shortcuts are taken, huge scenes left out(mostly notable because the story now has huge gaps in it and is leaving you wondering if you aren't missing any pages.)

A let down. Sad, becasue the writing is great and so is the art, but I can't get past the huge holes and jumps in the story everywhere. ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 22, 2018 |
So, like many graphic novels, it was not long enough ;-) I look forward to the second book that is supposed to come out soon. It has a very interesting premise, but this volume is really just the set up. ( )
  dbhart42 | Dec 21, 2017 |
This is a graphic novel based on an unpublished Cosmere novel. The first chapter of this was included in the anthology Arcanum Unbounded, along with an extract from the not-going-to-be-published prose novel. Graphic novels are not my preferred format, but after reading what was in the anthology, I felt that the format was the right way to tell this story.

The graphic novel does an excellent job of establishing Kenton’s world - his personality and abilities, his relationship with his father, the community he belongs to and the magic system.

However, I found the other POV characters, who come from different communities, almost frustratingly enigmatic. I’m sure they’d still be enigmatic in a prose novel, that they are intentionally less open than Kenton, but I suspect prose would make it possible to convey more information about them than the images do here. I wanted more information.

Still, this is only the first act of a story. I'll see what volume two brings. ( )
  Herenya | Oct 2, 2017 |
Whenever I get graphic novels, I'm looking for three features: (1) an awesome cover, (2) images that captivate me, and (3) a story that will hold from beginning to end. Graphic novels are superior than the average novel we read. They're the closest things to movies of a story as we can get, so they have to reign darn near supreme! White Sand is almost there. Brandon Sanderson and Rik Hoskin made this a graphic novel worth the read.

Kenton is the son of a Sand Master, but unlike his father, he struggles to manipulate the sand. Neither he nor his siblings are able to advance the way others can; it's been blamed on his mother, who's supposedly tainted the bloodline. So Kenton has to fight to prove himself worthy.

With limited powers, but a cleverness that allows him to be just as strong, he has to work harder to be the best. But when Kenton finds his people slaughtered, he fears he may be the only one. He ends up going out, working against a conspiracy that will affect everyone!

This is my first Sanderson read, and I have to admit it was pretty cool. The cover photo looks like something out of a Japanime flick. It shows a lot of action, almost too busy. I liked it, but I was looking for a bit more clarity on the inside. The inner photos were a match to the outside. I'm used to inner photos being more bright, deep and vivid. And since the words were small and scattered about the pages, It was really hard on my degenerating eyes. The pics weren't grainy, but just not as rich as I'd hoped.

*For the full review: www.areneehunt.com
White Sand, Vol. 1
Brandon Sanderson & Rik Hoskin
Dynamite Publishing
June 29, 2016 ( )
  AReneeHunt | Mar 5, 2017 |
Of course I would have loved this to be in novel format; I love graphic novels but there's so much more to get from prose than from imagery in my opinion for stories like this. Especially since I read the actually chapter that the beginning of this graphic novel was based on in Arcanum Unbounded. As it stands it's a very interesting story, although the other plot lines interwoven with Kenton's are still a bit unclear. The artwork is pretty good but I've seen better. Most definitely a story I will continue to read due to it's fantasy nature. ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 15, 2017 |
You're inept enough to make the hundred idiots look brilliant--
Graphic novel adaptation of an unpublished prose version. The unpublished prose was distributed to fans by Brandon Sanderson on request, but is no longer available. See: https://www.librarything.com/work/2019...

On the planet of Taldain, the legendary Sand Masters harness arcane powers to manipulate sand in spectacular ways. But when they are slaughtered in a sinister conspiracy, the weakest of their number, Kenton, believes himself to be the only survivor. With enemies closing in on all sides, Kenton forges an unlikely partnership with Khriss--a mysterious Darksider who hides secrets of her own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,066,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible