The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:NatRenschen
Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Tags:Fairy Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

As a fairy tale enthusiast, there was no way I could resist picking up this book once I heard about it. It's a quirky montage of words and pictures, often breaking the fourth wall, each story a jumble of humorous realism, ridiculous characters and odd prose. I enjoyed it. I even laughed out loud at one point. The art is not for everyone, being a bit abstract for some tastes. But it fits the overall feel of the book. I would recommend to fairy tale enthusiast and those looking for an odd little read. ( )
  empress8411 | May 12, 2014 |
I have always loved this book. kids love this book as well and ask me to read it over and over again. I also enjoy the artwork in the book.
  EmilySansovich | Apr 25, 2014 |
Missed this one growing up. It nicely subverts the conventions of fairy tales and book organization. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is such an unpredictable book - in a good way! Every part of it is illustrated and written on. I would definitely use this as a morning read aloud and the students would probably listen in anticipation for the goofy off takes of stories they may already be familiar with. It would be a nice discussion starter as well. Comparing these to the traditional fables would be insightful as well. If my class were preparing to make a book, I'd use this as an example of word placement. The book also describes the parts of a book which is useful in instruction! Its unconventional style is very useful. ( )
  DayDreamBear | Feb 8, 2014 |
I absolutely love this book and the illustrations are incredible. All of the childhood stories and fables that you grew up with suddenly take a weird twist and you are in this fun, crazy world with Jack the narrator. There is a lot to read here, but it's an easy read. I grew up with this book and would recommend it to any age. ( )
  lnmeadows | Nov 20, 2013 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:40 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible