The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:NatRenschen
Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Tags:Fairy Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I remember reading it when I was in third grade and got a kick out of it. By the time students get to upper elementary school, they start to feel “too cool” for fairy tales, so this book is a great way to continue teaching about fairy tales but keeping students engaged.
My absolute favorite part of this book is the author’s tone throughout it. There is so much sass and sarcasm from the characters that it’s really funny to read and listen to. For example, the back cover of the book has the little red hen saying, “Who will buy this book anyway? Over fifty pages of nonsense and I’m only on three of them. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…” Students aren’t used to seeing that type of language and attitude in their books, so automatically it’s engaging and really funny to them.
I also really enjoyed the illustrations of the story. They aren’t your typical pretty fairy tale pictures, they’re actually slightly scary looking in my opinion, but it add to the unconventional piece of the story. I think the illustrations are painted, but I can’t really tell.
I would recommend this story for students in third through fifth grade. I would say it’s definitely geared to older kids because younger kids might not understand the language. Also, the story jumps around a little bit and that may confuse younger learners. ( )
  kbork1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This classic, strange gem takes fairy tales and fables and plays with the whole concept of stories and books. The illustrations are eerie and intriguing and the stories are stupid in the most delightful way. ( )
  EliseMT | Mar 23, 2015 |
Summary: Jack the Narrator, is trying to put together a book of fairy tales but he doesn’t quite have everything in its proper place or the ‘exact stories’ as we all remember. The Table of Contents cuts off the story of Chicken Licken and brings the characters to an untimely ‘end’ as well. The Ugly Duckling turned out to be just a really ugly duck. Jack accidentally tells the story of Little Red Running Shorts, which causes Wolf and Little Red to hightail it out of their story. Jack can’t even manage to tell his own story about the Beanstalk, because the giant is tired of being tricked every time Jack tells it. Giant comes up with his own story of what he wants to happen to Jack, which indicates he is very hungry for some bread. Jack never manages to gain control of the Red Hen as she barges in all over the book, and her story never completely get’s told either.

Personal Response: This is a parody-type picture book of some of the most popular fairy tales we all heard growing up. I say parody-type because to me it seems that they are hardly fairy tales anymore but silly summaries of them and are summative of all versions of the stories. The narrator being self-aware of his existence in the story utilizes his role to introduce peritext features to young readers. He also brings to the attention of young readers that there are many parts of the book that may not be all that interesting but exist in all books, and putting those parts together to make a book may be harder than it looks.

Classroom Expansion:
1. Students will recognize some, if not all of the tales. Have them think about their favorite fairytale. Just as giant did, have students paste together their own stories using pictures they can color or some original art pieces. These can either be their favorite version not told in the book, or a creative version of their favorite. Allow them to share with the class.
a. To expand this activity into a larger project, the students could try their hand at their own short story book and include some of the peritext features Jack the Narrator brought to everyone’s attention.
2. In small groups, have students plan the rest of the stories, as they should have happened. Since it is a group activity, a more original version may be easier for them all to rehearse. Allow time for prop and costume creation, and have an afternoon of “Theatrical Fairy Tale” in which the students will give a short performance for their classmates and finish the tales.
  KaitlynBlevins | Feb 12, 2015 |
Summary
This caldacott book is a collection of unconventional fairy tails that plays with the fourth wall every now and then. There are spins on traditional fairy tails such as The Ugly Duckling and Little Red Riding Hood but the twists tell the fairy tale in a realistic sense in a way, for example The Ugly Duckling in traditional stories turns into a beautiful swan, but in this rendition he just stays ugly.

Personal Reaction
I’ve read this book many times when I was younger due to the spins on the fairy tales humor is what I based mine off of. The structure of the book is what appealed to me most, and how at times in the book, the fourth wall was broken. I’ve gotten laughs out of it then and plenty of chuckles out of it now.

Classroom Application
Students can pick their favorite fairy tale or short story and change it around like they had done in this book.
Or students could create their own from complete imagination.
  MWsmith7 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Thought you heard fairy tales? Knew how they would turn out? NO...you haven't before reading the Stinky Cheese. A must book for just the shear pleasure of just reading out loud for class.
It can be subtle and sarcasm at times but it is a form of interpreting stories and changing them tor listener to interpret. It could be used for analyzing how we tell stories and also create our own.
Storytelling, short stories. ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Feb 11, 2015 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:40 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,178,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible