The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Tags:Fairy Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

Recently added bydbenw001, KassRuiz, private library, Rosa.Mill, AR_bookbird
    The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

This book was a combination of many traditional literature stories each summed up into a short glimpse of the plot with an added humorous twist.
  laurenmaune | Oct 27, 2015 |
36 months - My daughter thought this book was funny even though both of her parents could see the humor in it but did not enjoy reading it. Thankfully after two reads her love of the book faded and she asked for fewer and fewer of the stories to be read to her. The title is correct the stinky cheese man is quite cleaver and the other are very much stupid stories. Sorry not really my kind of read and if didn't have much staying power with my daughter. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
Can be used to teach satire.
  BdF | Jul 30, 2015 |
I love this book. From the fun artwork, to interesting font choices, this engages the reader from the start. All of us can remember childhood tales, but this certainly puts a fresh spin on them. I want to use this with my high school students and get them to write their own crazy fairy tales, really using their imagination. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 16, 2015 |
  a.coote | Jun 5, 2015 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible