The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:mkcampbell11
Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Reading, Fairy Tales, Point of View

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

Summary:
This book contains silly variations on traditional stories. The narrator in the book is the Stinky Cheese Man. He tells the stories in his own sarcastic view. The book contains the stories of Chicken Licken, The Princess and the Bowling Ball, The Really Ugly Duckling, The Other Frog Prince, Little Red Running Shorts, Jack's Bean Problem, Cinderumpelstitskin, The Tortoise and the Hair, The Stinky Cheese Man, and The Boy Who Cried "Cow Patty".

Personal Reaction:
This book is super fun to read out loud to children. I thought it was a fun way to tell the same classic stories. My children love reading this book. In fact, when I took it off the bookshelf to reread for this review, they asked to me to read it to them.

Classroom Extension ideas:

1. Ask the students to think of their favorite story, and retell it in their own words and attitude.
2. make a collage about one of the stories from the book.
3. have children turn the book into a play. ( )
  Amahoney1114 | Sep 12, 2016 |
The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales is a hilarious book filled with crazy versions of popular fairy tales. Students particularly in the upper elementary grades would enjoy this book because it has creative and crazy spins on the fairy tales they have grown up hearing. I highly recommend this book to anyone teaching the upper elementary grades. ( )
  KatieDinsmore | Sep 11, 2016 |
GR: P
GL: 3.9
DRA: 38
Lexile: 520L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 4, 2016 |
This book has a ton of fun twists on fairy tales that we all already know! I loved the books. It was very funny. I think that this book could be used in a drama class to do some fun role play activities!
  BrittanySchupman | Jul 29, 2016 |
This is a fun book! However, I do not see a great deal of academic purpose for it. The stories could be used for read alouds, or even skits in the classroom to practice fluency, but there is not a great deal of content that can be connected to this book. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,172,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible