The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:mkcampbell11
Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Reading, Fairy Tales, Point of View

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales is an unconventional book with different well-known fairy tales with a twist. Tales such as The Ugly Duckling, Red Riding Hood, and other tales were made into funny twists with different plots.
  sehuff | Nov 29, 2016 |
I found and re-read this book and it is one of my all-time favorites for kids! Made me laugh out loud all over again. My daughter claims that her memory of stories such as The Gingerbread Man has been permanently skewed by this book, but that is OK. I mean, a story about a gingerbread man running away is fine, but a story about a stinky cheese man is just too funny. This is kind of like the Fractured Fairy Tales that used to be part of some cartoon show (Rocky and Bullwinkle, maybe?). ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
Scieszka, J., Smith, L. (1992). The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales. New York, New York: Scholastic Inc.

This book contains fairly stupid tales. They are silly, sarcastic, dark, and twisted versions of the fairy tales we know and love. It contains stories such as, The Tortoise and the Hair, Little Red Running Shorts, and Cindersumplestiltskin or the Girl Who Really Blew It. Every page of this book is part of the silly fairy tale theme from the title page to the table of contents. This book could be difficult to read for students because the pages and words are sometimes structured strangely. It is a great book to begin working on comparing and analyzing different versions of stories.

This book won the Caldecott Honor. This means this book was a runner up for the Caldecott Medal which is awarded to the most distinguished picture books. ( )
  jangelique | Nov 20, 2016 |
This is a book that is full of old time fairy tales you might have heard before but a little mixed up. It has Little Red Running Shorts, The other Frog Prince and all sorts of funny stories to read that are different than the ones you hear all the time.
  ryleemay | Nov 20, 2016 |
I was in middle school when this book came out and my younger brother got a copy. It might have been intended for a younger audience, but I (pardon the pun) ate it up. "Fractured fairy tales" are a phenomenon older than Rocky and Bullwinkle, yet Scieszka put a fresh spin on these stories that delights children of all ages with their ridiculous flouting of convention. Even as an adult, the memory of the joy that this book caused my brother and me to feel is still palpable. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Nov 13, 2016 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,686,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible