The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Member:mkcampbell11
Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Reading, Fairy Tales, Point of View

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

This book is funny, creative, and unique. I would recommend this book to all families and teachers. For teachers, this is a great book, because the book references many traditional stories that the students are familiar with. Jon Scieszka, the writer of this book, is known for making satires from traditional tales. In this book, Scieszka uses The Ugly Duckling, Little Red Riding Hood, and others to make funny satires. Some reasons this book is unique is that there are details on the pages that engages the reader. For example the page where the book says who it is dedicated too, the reader notices the page is upside down, and at the corner of the page is a little man and he is saying, "I know. I know. The page is upside down. I meant to do that. Who ever looks at that dedication stuff anyhow?" This part of the book was very creative and most children in a read aloud would laugh when this part of the book is read. Not only is this funny, but Scieszcka makes the reader curious to now see the dedication page. My favorite story was, The Really Ugly Duckling. The reason this was my favorite, because I knew the original story. In this version of the story the book ended, "And he grew up to be just a really ugly duck. The End." In the other story, the ugly duckling, the book ended that the ugly duckling turned into a beautiful swan. I recommend this book to people of all ages, because I know everyone will laugh, and appreciate the creativity. ( )
  aedwar14 | Mar 16, 2017 |
Genre: Folklore
Age: Intermediate
Review/Critique: This book tells classic fairy tales with a little bit of a twist. Its folklore because these are stories that have been told for centuries with no known author. ( )
  jessminson | Feb 27, 2017 |
Genre: Folklore
Age: Older Primary
Review:
This book has many different tales of fairy tales. But none of them are exactly like we heard from our past. This is a spoof off of the tales we heard as we grew up.
This is considered folklore because none of it is true and we do not know who the author of the originals tales are. Even though this version has authors, we need to know the original folktale inorder to understand it, so it is considered folklore.
Use:
1) It is a heavy read book but funny and interactive!
2) This book would be aimed especially for males who do not like reading because it is boring. This book is funny and can get a lot of people laughing!
Ill. Media: Oil and Vinegar ( )
  Josh17 | Feb 16, 2017 |
The Stinky Cheese Man is a humorously narrated twist on traditional folktales and stories narrated by Jack (and the beanstalk). Jack takes us from tale to tale, often interrupting the story. Each tale is a parady or variation on the original. The illustrations are wacky and dark and the font changes with regularity to add to the fun.
  annereid1 | Feb 7, 2017 |
The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales is an unconventional book with different well-known fairy tales with a twist. Tales such as The Ugly Duckling, Red Riding Hood, and other tales were made into funny twists with different plots.
  sehuff | Nov 29, 2016 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,245,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible