The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly…

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales (original 1992; edition 1992)

by Jon Scieszka, Lane Smith (Illustrator)

Title:The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales
Authors:Jon Scieszka
Other authors:Lane Smith (Illustrator)
Info:Viking Juvenile (1992), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 56 pages
Tags:Reading, Fairy Tales, Point of View

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka (1992)

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner (keristars)
    keristars: The Stinky Cheese Man and The Templeton Twins are very similar in tone and style - but one is a picture book and the other is a chapter book.

Can be used to teach satire.
  BdF | Jul 30, 2015 |
I love this book. From the fun artwork, to interesting font choices, this engages the reader from the start. All of us can remember childhood tales, but this certainly puts a fresh spin on them. I want to use this with my high school students and get them to write their own crazy fairy tales, really using their imagination. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 16, 2015 |
Awards: Caldecott Honor Book
Age Group: 5+
My impressions:
Lesson Plan: ( )
  a.coote | Jun 5, 2015 |
I liked this book for three reasons. First, the writing and stylistic choice of the font, made this story stand out from others I have read in the past. The author chose to highlight certain words in red, or capitalize when it seemed unnecessary, or have scribbles written all over the words. This makes it engaging for children to read, instead of a consistent font and format throughout the entire story, children are surprised on each page at the presentation of words. Second, the characters in this book are very imaginative and differ from what we are used to reading in typical fairy tales. Instead of the ugly duckling turning into a beautiful swan when it grows up, the ugly duckling grows into an ugly duck. The author also puts a twist on the classic story "The gingerbread man" and creates his own character called the "stinky cheese man". The author uses familiar lines such as "Run, run as fast as you can" that children can remember from classic fairy tales, but puts his own twist on it which makes the story more engaging and unpredictable. Lastly, the illustrations of this story were excellent. They may not be realistic pictures, however the author uses dark tones and exaggerated features on his characters to go along with the theme that something is not quite right about these stories. The big idea of this book is to present classic fairy tales in a different way to children with sarcastic tones and funny nonsensical ideas. It pushes readers to think outside of the box, and presents a different form of fairy tales. ( )
  agassa1 | Apr 20, 2015 |
I randomly picked this book up at the thrift store, fell in love with the artwork, and tossed it into my cart. I’m so glad I did. My boyfriend and I just spent the last 20 minutes taking turns reading the stories and couldn’t stop laughing. The Little Red Hen was one of my favorite stories to read as a little kid and I love it even more now. This book is amazing. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Apr 16, 2015 |

Jon Scieszkaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, LaneIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to our close, personal, special friend: (your name here)
--J.S. & L.S.
"I have found a kernel of wheat," said the Little Red Hen.
A long time ago, people used to tell magical stories of wonder and enchantment. Those stories were called Fairy Tales. Those stories are not in this book. The stories in this book are almost Fairy Tales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067084487X, Hardcover)

If geese had graves, Mother Goose would be rolling in hers. The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales retells--and wreaks havoc on--the allegories we all thought we knew by heart. In these irreverent variations on well-known themes, the ugly duckling grows up to be an ugly duck, and the princess who kisses the frog wins only a mouthful of amphibian slime. The Stinky Cheese Man deconstructs not only the tradition of the fairy tale but also the entire notion of a book. Our naughty narrator, Jack, makes a mockery of the title page, the table of contents, and even the endpaper by shuffling, scoffing, and generally paying no mind to structure. Characters slide in and out of tales; Cinderella rebuffs Rumpelstiltskin, and the Giant at the top of the beanstalk snacks on the Little Red Hen. There are no lessons to be learned or morals to take to heart--just good, sarcastic fun that smart-alecks of all ages will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:18 -0400)

Madcap revisions of familiar fairy tales.

Jon Scieszka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,726,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible