Obelisk by NA

Obelisk (edition 2012)

by NA (Author)

A remarkable collection of short stories and novellas from one of our greatest SF authors. This collection contains stories set in the worlds of the bestselling duology ULTIMA and PROXIMA, which expand on the characters and worlds of that series, including two brand new short stories. There are also a selection of alternate histories and possible futures, building on Baxter's work with Terry Pratchett on the LONG EARTH series. Confirms Stephen Baxter's place as one of the greatest practitioners of the SF short story.… (more)
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Obelisk
Authors:NA (Author)
Info:GOLLANCZ (2012)
Collections:Read but unowned

Obelisk by Stephen Baxter

A collection of short stories from Stephen Baxter. A strange mix, including a few alternative history stories that all looked like unmemorable Steampunk tales (spot the turning point).
The second half of the book is much more what I was hoping for. Not quite up to the standard of the Vacuum Diagrams collection, with a bit more humanity and a bit less wonder. But maybe that's a good thing.
  d.r.halliwell | Jul 10, 2019 |
I continue to buy Stephen Baxter books and I’m not really sure why. Oh I know what I’m getting when I start to read one, which is, I suppose, a good enough reason for many to continue to read an author… But I like to be surprised– no, impressed… And that’s only going to happen if an author writes something so much better than they have done in the past, or a writer new to me writes something so much more, well, impressive than I had expected. Cf William Faulkner. Baxter sometime does impress, but all too often his fiction reads a bit juvenile. At short lengths, he’s less likely to fall into that trap, so a collection like Obelisk should prove a more satisfactory read… But at novel length, especially when opening a series, such as the novel Coalescent, the first book of the Destiny’s Children quartet, he seems to shine, only for it all to descend into YA-like science fiction that just happens to throw around big ideas. And that, in microcosm, is sort of what happens in Obelisk. There are lots of fascinating ideas in the stories in the book, but there are some that read like YA, the opening story, ‘On Chryse Plain’, being a good example. It’s one of four stories, including the title story, set in the universe of Proxima–Ultima, although to be honest I couldn’t really tell. Other stories are grouped as “Other Yesterdays”, “Other Todays” and “Other Tomorrows”. All but two were previously published. Two weeks after I finished the book, I’m having trouble remembering the individual stories – although Baxter has certainly written short fiction that stands out… There just aren’t any here. One for fans, I suspect. ( )
  iansales | Oct 3, 2018 |
This is the collection, do not combine it with the short story of the same name

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,532,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible