The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion (Vintage…

The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion (Vintage Classics) (edition 2001)

by Yukio Mishima

1,366225,589 (3.87)1 / 69
Member:dylanwolf
Title:The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Yukio Mishima
Info:Vintage Classics (2001), Edition: 32nd Printing, Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:Mishima Yukio

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima

1950s (6) 20th century (30) arson (8) art (5) Asia (9) beauty (10) Buddhism (20) coming of age (5) ebook (5) Everyman's Library (4) fiction (195) Japan (130) Japanese (58) Japanese fiction (17) Japanese literature (92) Kyoto (19) literature (55) Mishima (12) novel (47) paperback (5) philosophy (6) read (12) religion (7) Roman (18) suicide (6) Temple (6) to-read (18) translation (14) unread (14) zen (7)
    After the Banquet by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Another Mishima novel that he based on a real event.
    Silk and Insight by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Another Mishima novel based on a real event.
    The Age of Blue by Yukio Mishima (GYKM)
    GYKM: Written in the same decade, but was based around a different real-life crime.
    In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (GYKM)
    GYKM: Like Truman Capote ten years later, Mishima not only conducted research into the crime that he would base his psychological novel on, but he also interviewed the arsonist.

English (17)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (22)
I did not like this book. First of all it was hard to get into becauseof the style of writing. When reading the book I found out that the subject / main story line was not very interesting or understandable to me.

I usually like Asian writers and their style, but this book did nothing for me. A student-priest, coming of age, fascination for a temple, I simply don't understand. Too bad, because I had been looking forward to read this book: the text on the back suggested it could be very intersting. Just not to me. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 5, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book for the descriptive writing and the evocation of place that the author created. I particularly liked the night scene where the narrator, Mizoguchi, follows Uiko. The passage where he walks to the Sea of Japan from Maizuru was also very well done.

However... I did not really understand Mizoguchi's motivation in just about anything that he did and found him a completely unsympathetic character. The resolution of the final crisis has left me unmoved and glad that I've finished so that I can move on to something else. Which isn't to say that this is a bad book, just one that I didn't entirely connect with.

As an aside, the blurb on this edition is not correct as Mizoguchi's stammer was congenital and had already affected him before he witnessed his mother with another man. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 29, 2013 |
This book, which takes a real incident as its starting point, gave me the claustrophobic feeling of entering into the extremely disturbed mind of an extremely unstable young man, Mizoguchi, a student both in a Zen temple and in a Buddhist university who is obsessed by the beauty of the Golden Temple where he studies. On one level, the novel is the story of how he progressively becomes more disturbed, both more detached from reality and more willing to do things that are clearly wrong (and that on some level he knows are wrong -- in fact, sometimes he wants to do them just because they are wrong), until he commits a terrible deed because he believes it will release him from his obsession. (And, in fact, at the end, it seems to.)

And yet, I had a feeling there was a lot more going on in this book than I could grasp. There are beautiful descriptions of the natural world, and of Japanese and especially Zen traditions, but they are intercut with stark and still shocking scenes of violent behavior. The relationship of Mizoguchi to his mother (whom he detests) also seems important, but it wasn't completely clear to me how, as do his confused feelings about women and sexual relationships. He has a "good" friend and a "bad" friend, and yet things are not always what they seem to be. The bulk of the novel takes place just before and just after the end of the second world war, and the Japanese surrender, and this too seems to figure into the novel. In a sense, the Japanese surrender was an abrupt end to centuries of tradition, as is the destruction that results from Mizoguchi's final act, but that seems a little too obvious. I do think Mishima was aiming at more than the tale of a crazy young man but perhaps I am not sensitive enough to Japanese themes and ideas to understand all he was trying to do. I found the book cold and disturbing, and couldn't really get a handle on it.
2 vote rebeccanyc | Oct 20, 2012 |
Interesting and perceptive book. The idiosyncratic interpretations of Zen koans were refreshing.
  GYKM | Feb 5, 2011 |
This is a 1959 novel based on a Japanese student (not a very good one) burning down a temple which he felt was very beautiful. His thought processes were so foreign that I really could not get caught upin the work. Only at the end did it seem worth reading, so I have to say the book did not speak to me--the central character does such bizarre things that he seemed to have nothing to say to me.. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 23, 2010 |
"An amazing literary feat in its minute delineation of a neurotic personality."
added by GYKM | editChicago Tribune

"Beautifully translated... Mishima re-erects Kyoto, plain and mountain, monastery, temple, town, as Victor Hugo made Paris out of Notre Dame."
added by GYKM | editThe Nation

"One of the few genuinely surprising, subtle, complex and profound novels of ideas to have appeared since Man’s Fate" […] "Mishima has fashioned a wildly original, paradoxical series of clashing meditations and actions"
added by GYKM | editHudson Review, Sidney Monas

In July, 1950, art lovers were shocked to hear that the Kinkakuji--the Temple of the Golden Pavilion--in Kyoto had been deliberately burned by a crazed young monk. At his trial, this ugly, stammering priest said that his hatred of all beauty had driven him to destroy the six-century-old building. He expressed no regrets.

From this incident and other details of his life an engrossing novel has been written by Yukio Mishima.

Yukio Mishimaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morris, IvanTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Komatsu, FumiIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouwehand, C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ouwehand, C.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, Nancy WilsonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ever since my childhood, Father had often spoken to me about the Golden Temple.
When you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
I wanted to live.
What transforms this world is—knowledge.

Because of the boyhood trauma of seeing his mother make love to another man in the presence of his dying father, Mizoguchi becomes a hopeless stutterer. Taunted by his schoolmates, he feels utterly alone until he becomes an acolyte at a famous temple in Kyoto. He quickly becomes obsessed with the beauty of the temple. Even when tempted by a friend into exploring the geisha district, he cannot escape its image. In the novel's soaring climax, he tries desperately to free himself from his fixation.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:02 -0400)

A young man, having suffered a childhood trauma, becomes an acolyte at a famous temple in Kyoto.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible