In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear

In This Grave Hour

by Jacqueline Winspear

Series: Maisie Dobbs (13)

The mystery was not as entertaining as it usually is in a Maisie Dobbs book and it's time that Maisie had a happy ending. ( )
  olegalCA | Sep 15, 2018 |
I should have listened to Maisie on audio book a long time ago. ( )
  MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Winspear has done a good job of keeping Maisie's adventures fresh. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
This is my first Maisie Dobbs mystery and if I spot one at a garage sale, I will pick it up. She creates the English society of the the 1930's and this story takes place in August 1939. In fact the opening page recalls August 4, 1939 when Great Britain declared war on Germany.

Maisie is approached by Dr. Francesca Thomas who works as a spy for both Belgium and Britain and is someone Maisie has worked for in the past. Thomas asks Maisie to investigate the murder of a Belgian refugee from WW I that the police seem disinterested in doing much work to solve. Shortly the bodies start to pile up and they all seem to have a connection with fight from Belgium during the German advance in 1916.

Maisie has a staff of three- Billy who does much of the leg work and strikes me that he gets amazing results when starting out with very limited information and Sandra, a young woman who maintains the office and does her research mainly by phone or the public library. Maisie's parents have a role in the story especially in the secondary case on which Maisie is working. It involves finding the identity of a five year old girl who turns up among the children being evacuated from London to escape the anticipated bombing by the Germans but there are no records as to who she is.

The author does a good job of creating the atmosphere of fear but also determination that Brits felt as war was coming. ( )
  lamour | Jan 12, 2018 |
Having read the Maisie Dobbs series since the beginning, I am sorry to say that this is the first one that I found wanting. The historical arena is true to form and gives foundation to the story. However, there are just too many hops, skips and jumps from one situation to another, with nothing in between to bind them together. And the sudden trip to Belgium is completely hovering in the air (no pun intended). For me, there was absolutely no build-up for this trip. As always though, I am satisfied with the character descriptions. But I am definitely not satisfied with the motive for the murders- perhaps the character of the murderer escaped me. ( )
  HugoReads | Dec 21, 2017 |

Winspear, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ferguson, ArchieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In this grave hour, perhaps the most fateful in our history. . .for the second time in the lives of most of us, we are at war.

--King George VI, September 3rd, 1939
Dedicated to
Irene, Joyce, Sylvia, Joseph, Ruby, Charles, and Rose
Our family's World War II evacuees
Maisie Dobbs left her garden flat in Holland Park, taking care to lock the door to her private entrance as she departed.

As Britain becomes engulfed in a second World War, the indomitable Maisie Dobbs is plunged into a treacherous battle of her own when she stumbles on the deaths of refugees who may have been more than ordinary people seeking sanctuary on English soil, in this enthralling chapter in Jacqueline Winspear’s enormously popular New York Times bestselling series.

Critics have long sung the praises of Jacqueline Winspear and her bestselling Maisie Dobbs series. In the thirteenth installment, Maisie—"one of the great fictional heroines, equal parts haunted and haunting." (Parade)—is back with more mystery, adventure, and psychological insight.

When readers last saw Maisie Dobbs, it was 1938 and the world was on the brink of war. Maisie herself was on a dangerous mission inside Nazi Germany, where she encountered an old enemy and the Führer himself. In This Grave Hour, a year has passed and Maisie is back home in England—yet neither she nor her nation is safe. Britain has just declared war on Germany and is mobilizing for the devastating battle ahead. But when she stumbles on the deaths of a group of refugees, Maisie suspects the enemy may be closer than anyone knows.

Old fans will be delighted at Maisie’s return and new readers will be hooked by this thrilling installment in Jacqueline Winspear’s "thoughtful, probing series"

When listeners last heard Maisie Dobbs, it was 1938, and the world was on the brink of war. Maisie herself was on a dangerous mission inside Nazi Germany, where she encountered an old enemy and the Fuhrer himself. In In This Grave Hour, a year has passed, and Maisie is back home in England - yet neither she nor her nation is safe. Britain has just declared war on Germany and is mobilizing for the devastating battle ahead. But when she stumbles on the deaths of a group of refugees, Maisie suspects the enemy may be closer than anyone knows.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible