Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends By Shel Silverstein is a descriptive book of poems. These poems are written in such a way as to encourage a the readers imagination and fantasy. These are fantasy poems that include: a girl who eats a whale, diamond gardens, flying shoes, and unicorns. The drawing are in detail and depict the poems subject.

I love these poems. Me and my granddaughter enjoy the silly and nonsensical nature of them. They make us giggle.

As story extenders : a writing center could be added to the room. Children could illustrate the silliest thing they can think of. Children can be encouraged to write a poem. During group each child could come up with a line to the poem. The teacher would use a starter line such as: There once was a boy who turned into a .. [a child would answer.. then the teacher could say, He turned into a [ ] because {another child would answer ] and so on. ( )
  imamarie | Nov 11, 2014 |
Summary: great poem book with small illustrations to correlate with the story. Great way on introducing poetry to students. they are fun and quirky, and easy to read the book have simple rhyming sounds.

personal: i would recommended to anyone if they haven't read it that they should.

Classroom extensions:
1)have the students draw a picture to their favorite poem from the story.
2) have students recite on of the poems from the book.
3) have them make up a funny poem of their own.
  pambam_11 | Nov 11, 2014 |
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein is a collection of silly poetry that consists of multiple silly, imaginative poems that mostly are told from a child’s point of view and address childhood things, for example one is about why not to pick your nose. This book also has an incredible overall purpose of imagination and silliness. I love this book because of two main reasons. The first reason I love it is because of the large collection of poems. The book includes over a 100 poems. I loved that there was so many poems to chose from with a range of topics, they range from talking about a boa constrictor to discussing how to make a hippopotamus sandwich. I loved this because it offers a ton of variety for children, along with providing a ton of silliness and fun. It also makes the poetry book available to everyone from children to adults. The second reason I loved it was the drawings. These drawings were actually done by Shel Silverstein himself. Throughout the whole book on each page for each poem there is a hand drawn drawing that helps to explain the poem. For example, for the poem hug-o-war it has two friends hugging. I loved this aspect because it made the poems even more fun and helped to explain poems as well. Overall this is a great collection of poetry for all ages that conveys a message of imagination and silliness. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Oct 27, 2014 |
Summary:
This book includes a variety of poems written by Shel Silverstein. Although the illustrations are all in ink, the poems are very different from each other.

The central message of this book to entertain readers through poetry.I like how the author does not stick to grammar rules. For example, “…A hope-er, Apray-er…” those words stand out from the rest of the poem because of how he added the –er at the end. I like how Shel Silverstein's poems can be silly and yet serious. The poems and illustrations were eye-catching and spectacular, and great for all ages! ( )
  mkaray1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Reading comprehension strategies can be used here just like the "Dirt on My Shirt" poems. The students can recognize sensory details in literacy text by using a visualizing strategy. This can make poetry more accessible to them instead of foreign and confusing.
  ecm014 | Oct 23, 2014 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,036,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible