Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

Love it. ( )
  iNanner | Oct 4, 2015 |
I really like this book because it is full of fun, quirky, and cleverly written poems that are suitable for children. They are all very interesting and sometimes unusual, which really captivates the reader. I also enjoy poetry books like this because you can skip around and read only some of the book without taking away content or meaning from your overall comprehension. There isn't really a main idea, but the book definitely promotes creative and inventive thinking in children. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I read the poem, Point of View, by Shel Silverstein. I really love this poem and would recommend it for others to read. A reason why is because of the language used. The first line reads, “Thanksgiving dinner’s sad and thankless” and another line states, “Sunday dinner isn’t sunny.” I admire that the adjectives correspond with the day, such as thanksgiving and thankless, because it adds some alliteration. The message of the poem is that everyone has a different interpretation or perspective of the world. The message is another reason why I like the poem because I believe it relates to animal rights and thinking about animals. An example is that holidays, like the ones mentioned such as Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and even Sunday dinner, revolve so much around food. I like how Shel Silverstein mentions the different animals we usually eat, such as turkey, pork, duck, and chicken to show that society does take in to consideration all the animals being mistreated. I believe this is a strong message, which is why I would recommend children and adults to read and interpret this poem. ( )
  Mroeme1 | Sep 28, 2015 |
I have never quite understood the love Silverstein inspires. His poetic efforts strike me as cute flippantries. There are better poems for children. There are worse. I do find his poems to be helpful in luring in unsuspecting reluctant readers. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.
For Ursula..
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,765,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible