Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

Summary:
This book includes a variety of poems written by Shel Silverstein. Although the illustrations are all in ink, the poems are very different from each other.

The central message of this book to entertain readers through poetry.I like how the author does not stick to grammar rules. For example, “…A hope-er, Apray-er…” those words stand out from the rest of the poem because of how he added the –er at the end. I like how Shel Silverstein's poems can be silly and yet serious. The poems and illustrations were eye-catching and spectacular, and great for all ages! ( )
  mkaray1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Reading comprehension strategies can be used here just like the "Dirt on My Shirt" poems. The students can recognize sensory details in literacy text by using a visualizing strategy. This can make poetry more accessible to them instead of foreign and confusing.
  ecm014 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Where the sidewalk ends is a collection of all kinds of different poems and stories. Many of them contain little lessons and some are just entertaining.
This book could be used all kinds of ways in teaching children, it was used when i was growing up using the patterns in word spellings and sounds.
This book could be used for all ages from just learning rhyming sounds or learning to read.
  alyssasookdeo | Oct 21, 2014 |
I read this book when I younger and reading it now reminded me how much I loved this book. The poems with the illustrations are spectacular. The poems are all so different from each other even though the illustrations are all in ink. Shel Silverstein is a very talented poet and almost everyone I know has read his books. I believe he is an icon for poetry due to being so well known. I enjoyed how he does not stick to grammar rules. For example, “…A hope-er, Apray-er…” those words stand out from the rest of the poem because of how he added the –er at the end. I always admire people who can write poems because I find it difficult. Shel Silverstein’s books are always enjoyable to read because the poems are silly, serious and everything in between. The overall message of this book would be to entertain readers through poems. His poems are relatable to people of any age. Although when I was young I did not understand the deliberate grammar mistakes because I was enjoying how entertaining the poems were. ( )
  Madison94 | Oct 21, 2014 |
This is a book made up of all sorts of different poems. They range from silly, to serious, long, short, relatable, nonsense, etc. I like this book because Shel Silverstein is such a great poetry writer. I can really see myself reading a poem a day out of this book to my students. The class can really be any age to listen if not read these poems.
  jordyngingeryan | Oct 19, 2014 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible