Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

This book is very fun to read and I like the diversity of material as a whole. This collection of poems is very comprehensive when it comes to Shel Silverstein's work. It includes outlandish and often silly limericks, haikus, acrostic and many rhyme schemes to make entertaining works. Older readers will find more ironies and hilarities in his work, as some words have multiple and sometimes different meanings. I think this is an enjoyable read for individual readers or as a group to enjoy. The drawings throughout are also entrancing and will give the reader an idea to predict how the poem will turn out. This was an exciting and fun read. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |
Includes:
-Hug O' War
-Lazy Jane
-Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout
  JennyArch | May 2, 2016 |
I really liked this book for many reasons. There are multiple different poems in the book that the readers can read. One reason I liked this book was for the illustrations. The author included a lot of funny illustrations for the readers to look at that relate to a few of the poems. Another reason I liked this book was because the poems are appropriate for the experiences and perspectives of children. For instance, there is one poem t hat is about hugging instead of fighting. It says, “I will not play at tug o’ war. I’d rather play at hug o’ war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs.” It is a fun way to show children that fighting is not right. The overall message of this book is about leaving the bad in your life to find a new beautiful place. It is also for children to leave their childhood behind and finding adulthood. ( )
  madelinependergast | Apr 26, 2016 |
Book summary: This book is full of interesting pomes that rhyming and encourage imagination. The author can take the kids to wonderful places in their mind with his words.

I think this book is great for kids. Like I said before it is full of rhyming which younger children are drawn too. It grabs their attention.

Classroom Activities:
1. I would have the students pick their favorite poem from the book and drawn a picture representing the poem.
2. I would have the students write their own poetry in their journals.
  AshleyTaylor1 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Read.
Gift from Mom on shopping day.
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

2005 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible