Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

Recently added byprivate library, katiejo2324, Foodang, MollyHartley, LopiCake, tbarne9, HeatherMOConnor, Lokweesha

I really enjoy this book. This is one of those books you revisit. The poems are interesting and as a child, I loved reading them. I did not get all of the big concepts of the stories but I liked the language and how it rhymed. I would recite each poem as if it was a song when I read them to my parents. I also liked the pictures in the book. I liked how simple they were. I would draw pictures like them to go with poems I would make up. I think seeing pictures that the kids think they can duplicate will encourage creativity. There are so many over all messages in this book. It is a compilation of many poems and some might have a deeper meaning then others. These can also be left for interpretation by the reader. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 26, 2015 |
A joy to read at any age. Even though this collection was written an published in the 70's, there is a timeless element to many of the poems found in this collection. This is a great text to have children read during their free time, and one that will help get their creativity going. Poems can be about everyday life and there is something in this collection for everyone. Some poems are only silly, but there are many that actually speak to deeper issues in a lighthearted way. This would be an excellent text to help students learn to read out loud to others in the classroom. ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is a favorite among children. With its lighthearted and funny poems, this book can help a child escape or relate to it. It is an excellent way to introduce poetry and can be used as a writing prompt for student's own poetry.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
This book is a classic filled with all kinds of whimsical, fun and sometimes sad poems. It's fun to have students read aloud these poems and then discuss them. A great way to spark interest in poetry in the classroom.
  kamijake | Mar 11, 2015 |
A collection of silly and imaginative poetry for children. There are over 100 poems in this book giving many topics to choose from for a read-aloud. I love that I can break this reading up over several weeks or months, a great book to use a treat for reading aloud to a group as well as introducing poetry. ( )
  RachelBowers | Mar 3, 2015 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
in Hebrew

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,164,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible