Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

The back cover of the dust jacket to Where the Sidewalk Ends describes Shel Silverstein as the author of The Giving Tree and other books of prose and poetry. The brief bio then goes on to state that Silverstein "writes songs, draws cartoons, plays the guitar, and has a good time".

Ultimately, that's what Where The Sidewalk Ends is about--having a good time. The opening invitation to the book--a poem--encapsulates the feel and the tone of the book:

If you are a dreamer, come in.
Come in!

The sense of playfulness and silliness that is evident in most of Silverstein's works for children is ever present in Where the Sidewalk Ends. It's a fun read; it's especially fun read aloud. You just can't help but smile at characters like "Ickle Me", "Pickle Me", and "Tickle Me" or "Sara Cynthia Sylvia Stout Who Would Not Take The Garbage Out". And Silverstein's cartoon drawings to accompany the poem within the text simply bring those poems into a life of their own.

But more than simply reveling in silliness, which is quite an awesome thing to do, "Where the Sidewalk Ends" subtly teaches life lessons, as can be seen in samples such as "LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS":

Listen to the MUSTN'TS child,
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |

If you are a dreamer, come in.

Listen to the MUSTN'TS child,
Then listen close to me--
Anything can happen, child,
ANYTHING can be.
  slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
I first read Shel Silverstein's poems when I was a kid and remember absolutely loving them. They were simple, funny, contained life lessons, and some could be quite sweet. Reading them as an adult however, I find that they have lost some of their charm. No longer do I find myself laughing at his silly and often absurd little rhymes. However, I read some of them with my boys and they all giggled and laughed, so I'm guessing that is more a product of age than anything. Shel Silverstein clearly rights for a less mature audience and that's a good thing. Too often now books, movies, and games are full of meaning that only adults will get. While they may created for children, many authors and filmmakers have gone too far in trying to cater to adult preferences. So, while Shel Silverstein may not be Poet Laureate material, he may be just what you children need. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
An awesome collection of Silverstein poems. This book is sure to get children into poetry. The form, illustrations, and humor are so clever and provide hours of entertainment! This book is a must to have in the reading corner of every classroom.
  carldgibson | Dec 16, 2015 |
Who doesn't love Shel Silverstein? He's hilarious, and his poems are legendary. ( )
  DylanMottaz | Dec 15, 2015 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

2005 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,248,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible