Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

9,812None290 (4.34)64
American (38) art (36) childhood (41) children (291) children's (447) children's book (35) children's books (64) children's literature (165) children's poetry (113) classic (44) drawings (40) fiction (246) funny (71) hardcover (66) humor (411) illustrated (90) juvenile (53) kids (69) literature (36) non-fiction (33) own (56) poems (189) poetry (2,232) read (141) rhyme (34) Shel Silverstein (86) silly (45) Silverstein (40) to-read (33) young adult (35)

I really found this book enjoyable to read. I loved the illustrations and how they are all in black and white. I also like how the poems rhyme because that style of writing pulls the readers in and makes the reading a lot more fun and enjoyable. The language throughout the book is patterned. For example, “If you are a dreamer, come in, If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...” Many of the poems have pictures of young children, so many of the children who are the readers can relate to the multiple poems throughout the story. Some of the poems can spark the children’s imaginations because they are realistic fiction. Such as the boy who turns into a T.V. , a way that you can wash your own shadow and children who can plant diamond gardens. Overall, the main idea of this story is to begin to spark the imagination of children and introduce the into short poems that are fun and interesting. ( )
  kbrehm1 | Apr 4, 2014 |
I think this was an amazing and entreating collection of poems to read. The poems were not only written with a creative style, but they also had a hint of humor within them. The language use was genius in my opinion because it was attention grabbing and something that children would want to pay attention to. For example, the poem about being sick really had a humorous twist on the end when the young girl found out it was Saturday and she no longer felt sick. There was not really a overall message to the story as this was a poetry collection of different unrelated poems.
  dcully1 | Apr 3, 2014 |
Read it as a kid and did not like it. ( )
  JK135 | Feb 24, 2014 |
There are so many classic poems in this book! I enjoyed reading his books as a child and I always share them with my students! ( )
  rcarter6 | Feb 18, 2014 |
This was a favorite growing up. Great resource to have in the library, and would most likely need multiple copies!
  ktownse4 | Feb 18, 2014 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible