Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (1974)

by Shel Silverstein

Funny and creative book filled with simple picture explain little stories of poetry. This is the first of the poetry series. Another good one the Attic.

1. Have the students chose their favorite poem.
2. Students come up with their own poem with illustration.
  Amandacj | Nov 19, 2015 |
There are a lot of poems in this book. The poetry is funny in this book. There are some that are short and some that are long, but at the end of them all you will have a smile. They are cute poems and fun to read with a family. I
I like this books because there is something for all kinds of people. My favorite was Ickle me, pickle me, and tickle me too. I like this one because it just a ring to it that makes you laugh and sometimes twists your tongue. The pictures are silly too. The words do not really have a lot of pictures to match them. Some of the drawings do match the poems in a simple way. I think that they plain black and white drawings of the poems are the start to the imagination pictures in one’s head. Meaning it give you a starting point to start imagining.
I do not think there could be an extension to this book because it is all poems that are different. If there I had to suggest just on poem it could have a page that had only one picture on it and say something like what’s your poem about you or something more rhyming to get the reading involved in making their own poem. ( )
  hollym0714 | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary: Where The Sidewalk Ends is a great way to introduce poetry to kids! Children will love reading the fun short poems in this book. The illustrations are just as entertaining!

Personal Reaction: I loved this book as a kid! I thought poetry was boring until I got ahold of this book. I would recommend it to anyone.

Classroom Extension: Students could write their own poetry similar to that in the book. Students could also practice reading poetry to their classmates.
  shelbeydismuke | Nov 18, 2015 |
While the title of this book is also a poem, this collection is filled with a variety of poems based on topics, such as food, animals, and children. The poems range from silly to outrageous but often deal with serious themes. This book contains poems for every type of reader, young and old.

Personal Reaction: I love this book for the humor displayed through many of the poems. I know first-hand how life’s issues and struggles can cause discouragement and unhappiness. The poems in this book never fail in brightening my day or bringing a smile to my face.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. I could have the children choose a serious topic that is important to them and have them write it in a silly way.
2. I could have the children choose their favorite poem from the book, and while using the same topic, have them re-write the poem to make it their own.
  Stacie_Larsen | Nov 18, 2015 |
Summary: This is a story of poems that deals with things that go on in a child's life or just everyday life. These were poems for all different things from birds to things that happen.

Personal Reflection: I personally am not a poem person and don't really understand them.

Classroom reflection: I would use this to teach about poems and to show the children how to write them.
  gm902470 | Nov 17, 2015 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.
For Ursula..
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

2005 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible