Where the Sidewalk Ends 30th Anniversary…

Where the Sidewalk Ends 30th Anniversary Edition: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 2004)

by Shel Silverstein

Member:klpm
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends 30th Anniversary Edition: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Edition: 30 Anv, Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Your library, Children and Youth
Tags:children's fiction, poetry, collection

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (1974)

Summary: Do you like to dream whether it be at night or even a daydreamer? Enter this dream and walk til the sidewalk ends, and the dream begins. There is a boy who turns into a TV set a girl who eats a whale. The Unicorn and the Bloath live there. It is a place where you wash your shadow and plant diamond gardens, a place where shoes do fly, sisters are auctioned off, and crocodiles go to the dentist.

Personal Reaction: Why cant i have the imagination of this author? I left my room while reading this book. I was so caught in the bizarre scenarios that would not happen today.

Classroom Extension: Students make a poem of their day.
  estep13 | Apr 15, 2015 |
When I was a new mom and had more time and energy to be 'crafty' I made my own letter-writing stationery. I took nice colored sheets of paper, and copied the shortest poems and simplest (but most interesting) drawings from this book and it's sequel into two of the corners. And then I didn't send it to anyone but instead wrote letters on plain paper because I didn't want to part with my handiwork. I think I still have one or two sheets, over two decades later. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Summary:
“Come in...For where the sidewalk ends, Shel Silverstein’s world begins”. This is a quote from the editor’s review and it couldn’t be more true. When reading a Shel Silverstein book you enter in to a whole new world. N this book, children can take over 190 pages worth of adventures. They will see a boy being turned into a T.V., a sister auction, a diamond garden, a crocodile dentist appointment, and even a unicorn. This book, like all of Silverstein’s books, is full of fun and laughs and perfect for children of all ages.
Personal Experience:
Where the Sidewalk Ends ,was my very first Silverstein book. I read one poem to my early childhood group and they loved it so much that they were begging for more I was able to use the poems as rewards for good behavior. I have several of these poems memorized, and I like to keep them in my back pocket in case I ever need a quick bit of entertainment for my students when I sub for elementary.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Since it worked so well with the little ones in my reading group, I will use some of these poems in the same way. If the class is well behaved, I will start and end each day with a Silverstein poem.
2.) If I really look into it, I can probably find at least one poem to go with every lesson. It would be fun to start a new lesson (not all of them) with a fun, semi-related poem. For example, the poem “Smartest Son” is about a boy who trades his dollar bill for 2 quarters, then four dimes, then 5 nickels and so forth because he thinks he is getting more money. I would read this poem to the kids at the beginning of the lesson about money and ask if they understand why it is silly. Then I’ll read it again after, and hopefully get a big laugh.
3.) In one of Silverstein’s poems, he suggests playing Hug-A-War not Tug-A-War. This is a funny concept but it also has a deeper meaning. If the entire world were less competitive and more caring, we’d have world peace. After talking to the children a little about this, I would ask them to think of a name of a game and try and come up with a similar name that is more peaceful and funny. For example: I tried this with my son and this is what he came up with:
“ Instead of Football, we could play Foot-Crawl. And instead of Golf, we could play GOOF” ( )
  CamilleSchmidt | Apr 9, 2015 |
"Where the Sidewalk Ends" is one of many Silverstein poetry books. This book contains pages full of made up poems and illustrations that children will love.

Personal Reflection: Shel Silverstein has always been my favorite poem writer. I love how he creates each poem to be so unique. His illustrations are also unique and they do a great job adding to the poems. I personally like how most of his poems rhyme, as this is what I like to do with poems I write. My favorite poem from this book is 'The Generals.'

Extensions: 1. Have students write and illustrate their own poem.

2. Have students choose their favorite poem from the book and explain why they like it. ( )
  mnewby17 | Apr 3, 2015 |
I enjoyed this poem. I liked that is was relatable because at one point or another most people who have a sibling have wanted to sell them. I also liked the ending because it was funny. After he could not sell his sister he settles for keeping her until next Wednesday. One thing I did not love were the illustrations. They were in black and white and not very detailed. Overall the poem was enjoyable. ( )
  sfinke5 | Apr 3, 2015 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
in Hebrew

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,563,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible