Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:elbourne
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

English (568)  German (1)  All languages (569)
The book is one of my favorite children's books and since I'm doing my author project on Shel silverstein, I got the chance to reread some of my favorite poems in it. One reason why I love this book so much is the realistic drawings of the poems. The author uses imagery and figurative language in the poems which the illustrator then depicts the play on words in his images. The photos help the child to imagine what the author is literally saying. For example, in his poem Where the Sidewalk Ends, he depicts a sidewalk literally ending, while the poem talks about the importance of staying youthful. Another reason why I love this poetry book is the figurative language enabling the reader to make vivid images in their mind as they read the poems. For example, in the same poem discussed earlier, "Where the Sidewalk Ends", the author describes the place where the sidewalk ends as "there the grass grows soft and white, and there the sun burns crimson bright, and there the moon-bird rests from his flight." As you read this, you can imagine the scene described, the redness of the sun, the green grass, and birds flying in the sky towards a tree. Shel Silverstein does a great job getting the theme of youth across through a combination of these illustrations and figurative language. ( )
  brookep8698 | Mar 6, 2019 |
Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is a great way to introduce children to poetry. The poems are funny yet provide a deeper meaning for those who are looking. It opens with an "Invitation" poem that invites dreamers, wishers, and pretenders to a whole new world that sparks children's imagination and love for poetry. The poem titled "Colors," inconspicuously touches on adult topics with an admirable perspective. Silverstein is intentional yet concealed in alluding to a greater meaning. His use of humor and imagination are effective in entertaining children and teaching strong moral messages. Silverstein encourages positive messages through his diverse use of poetry structure for young children.

Reading Level: 3-8 ( )
  emay3 | Feb 10, 2019 |
I loved reading this book growing up and have loved passing the love for poetry on to my students using this book. The fun illustrations along with silly subject matter hook the reader instantly. The length of these poems is perfect for young children and bring forth new content on every page. This is a great book to create a love of poetry with. ( )
  nicolehalbur | Jan 18, 2019 |
This classic book of poems can be useful as an addition to many different types of lessons, events, or just for fun.
  KKoos | Dec 7, 2018 |
Various poems that can be useful to show students different forms of poetry and sounds, descriptive language, and verbs that can be used in poetry. Many great poems that would be good to use for modelling.
  Kyle98 | Nov 29, 2018 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

5 1999

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,546,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible