Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:elbourne
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

English (543)  German (1)  All (544)
I'd wanted to reread this book since it was mentioned in [b:Inkdeath|2325825|Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)|Cornelia Funke|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327341991s/2325825.jpg|3897683], though not by name. I grew up reading [a:Shel Silverstein|435477|Shel Silverstein|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1201029128p2/435477.jpg] as I'm sure many others have by now, and the illustrations stick in my memory as clearly as some of the poems. I still wonder about Ickle Me, Pickle Me, and Tickle Me too. The poems are so bizarre.

The rating is a bit biased, as for me I was transported to my childhood with the poetry and pictures. I can recall the basement library where I first heard some of the verses and the time we were meant to memorize a poem to recite it to the class. I can remember the cover of the book and how many hours I spent imagining just what the end of the world would look like, with the sidewalk jutting briefly over it.

As far as poetry goes? This is an amusing bit of verses that's pretty good, but not great. The illustrations can be likewise rated. As far as nostalgia goes? It's tops, for me. It's one of those books you'll love if you grow up with it and kind of struggle to understand fully if you didn't... ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
“And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet.”

Shel Silverstein is such a quirky, funny, and thought-provoking poet. I'd seen this recommended somewhere on the internet, so I decided to check it out of the library. I don't think I loved it quite as much as others who have a nostalgic connection to the story. But I loved how I never knew where the next poem was going, often surprised by them.

I think this would be great to read with children, but still a bit of fun for 'grown ups'. The poems are cheeky, silly, and serious. There are so many weird poems about anything from having two heads to making a hippopotamus sandwich. There are beautiful poems about loving each other in spite of and because of our differences. And poems about the choices we make.

“He wasted his wishes on wishing.” ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
This is a fun book that introduces younger children to poetry. The descriptions of poems are a great way to get kids using their visualizing skills. I would use the book for 2nd grade.
  JenelleFyfe | Jun 9, 2018 |
This book is filled with poems but I really enjoyed reading them all. My favorite was "Making A List"and its about being polite and making good choices in a funny way. ( )
  RikkiPerkins | Apr 27, 2018 |
This would be a great book for a poetry section. I used to check this book out of the library over and over again until my parents finally bought it for me. There are many different poetry styles in this book and you can choose several to read to the class and have them write their own poem. ( )
  Sydneyls | Apr 23, 2018 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

5 1910

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,517,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible