Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

English (465)  German (1)  All (466)
Summary: This book is a collection of poems that do not necessarily relate to one another. It has humor in some poems and good drawings to go with it.
Critique of Genre: Poetry
Age: Primary, intermediate, middle school, and high school ( )
  Morrowm | Mar 9, 2017 |
Summary- This book is compiled of different poems both short and long. A few examples of poems are Hug O' War which is a rhyming poem about having a hug o war instead of a tug o war, Something's Missing which is a poem about a man who is trying to think of what article of clothing he is missing and it has a picture to go with it of him missing his pants. This book has black and white illustrations to go with the poems as well.
Genre- This book is poetry because it is compiled of many different poems. Most if not all of them are rhyming poems so it would work for young ages as well as older ages because everyone will find them silly and entertaining.
Ages- K-8
  crystal.krahmer | Mar 7, 2017 |
I love Shel Silverstein and his collected poems and drawings in Where the Sidewalk Ends is one of my favorites. The book's tone is set from the very beginning with the poem, Invitation "If you are a dreamer, come in, If your are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . . If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. . . .". Silverstein so captures all the fun of childhood and reminds us as adults to capture that long-ago time when we were pretenders and magic bean buyers. His illustrations make me long to go back to my childhood when my sisters and I planted corn in my grandparents drive-way to see if it would grow or all the times we used an abandoned shed as a fort, a castle, a jail, a home. All of us need to take time and find and then go to that crazy, ridiculous world that Silverstein has created in his poems and drawings. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
This book is a collection of short poems. Each one is typically accompanied by an illustration of some sort and the subjects range in topic.
This is a good example of poetry because each poem has a lot packed into a short amount of words. There are detailed descriptors.
Media: Pen
Age Range: All ages ( )
  MadisonShawA | Mar 2, 2017 |
This book is a compilation of about 140 Shel Silverstein poems. Some are short and some are long. They are usually funny and most are thought provoking. ( )
  bjacobsen15 | Feb 28, 2017 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

Critique of Genre: Poetry
Age: Primary, intermediate, middle school, and high school

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

1969 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,281,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible