Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

A book full of children's poetry and exciting stories.
  sehuff | Oct 26, 2016 |
Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends is full of unique and funny poems. The poems in this story, as well as the illustrations are great for children and adults of all ages. Within this poetry collection you will find poems that speak to all kinds of people and emotions. Some of the poems will make you giggle till your stomach hurts, while others can make you feel sad and serious. What I like most abut this book is that it contains something inside for every reader. ( )
  calleenemiller | Oct 23, 2016 |
Always great poems that make you think and dream ( )
  tmream | Oct 21, 2016 |
I liked the collection of poems in this book. The main message was just to enjoy the little random things in life. There were so many things that I enjoyed about the collection. I loved the innocence that is present in every poem, while not all of the poems were about innocent topics there was always a sense of innocence surrounding them due to the wording and short stanzas. Another aspect of the book that I adore are the pictures that go along with every poem. They are simple and fit the poem really well. They have a magically quality to them that I cannot properly describe. ( )
  mlanni1 | Oct 18, 2016 |
I love this book because it is so easy and fun to read. It makes learning poetry so fun for students and they really enjoy getting to hear the poems. ( )
  Madima6781 | Oct 17, 2016 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.
For Ursula..
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

1969 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,843,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible