Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

This is such a great book for all different ages. Where the Sidewalk Ends is a great collection of humorous poems. Not only are the poems great but so are the illustrations. This book was first published in 1974 and remains a popular choice among children and adults alike. There are many different types of poems, some are a bit morbid like the poem about a skinny boy who disappears down the bathtub drain, or the poem where a crocodile has a toothache and decides to munch on a cruel dentist. But there are also poems that deal with kindness and integrity too.

Comprehensive Strategy: This book can be used in a variety of ways. For younger children teachers can do a Read-A-Loud. For older students it can used to show different types of poetry styles, it’s a great book for beginning readers. After reading some of the poems students then can try their hand at writing their own poem. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 3, 2016 |
This is a great collection of poems. It contains a wide variety of poems to use with children. I would use this book in the classroom to help get students into poetry. I would also use it to help teach students about themselves through reading lines like "all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet." It would be a great book to use when teaching figurative language as well.
  Jordan.Francies | Nov 29, 2016 |
Summary- The book begins with a poem about a world where the sidewalk ends. The poem describes the world as magical and mystical where nothing is normal, but everything is awesome. Then after we hear about this amazing world we hear about the world where the sidewalk never ends and it's actually quite dull.

Personal reaction: I thought this book was really cute and really explains how a child's imagination works. I remember that my brother had this book in his room and I would often sneak into his room and steal it out of there so I could read it. I really was a sneaky middle schooler.

Extension ideas:

Teaching Tone: This book would be an amazing book to teach children about a tone of a story. Have students read one poem at the beginning of the book and a poem at the end of the book and have them compare tone.

Writing: Have children choose a poem out of the book, and have the children reimagen the poem and write it down.

Writing: Have the children try their hand at writing poems about things that go on in their everyday life. ( )
  SamanthaPeel | Nov 29, 2016 |
I've enjoyed just about every poem I've read by Shel SIlverstein. I think we own all of his books. Love the illustrations, the puns and word turns. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Summery:

Shel Silverstein created a book of poems geared toward young readers. The poems relate to one another in the simplicity factor of the underlying concept of each poem. There are illustrations which go along with some of the poems. Like the writing the pictures are simple yet powerful when matched with the words.

Personal Reaction:

Even though the book is geared toward young readers, I as an adult thoroughly enjoy the poems. They are short enough in length to hold attention of young readers. The overall concept of life is also quite simple. Enjoy the little things in life. This book is a classic and will remain a classical.

Classroom Extension:

1. Pick a poem out of the book and have student break down the method of composition. Have students determine the sound pattern, rhythm, and type of language.
2. Allow the class as a whole to find a long sidewalk on campus. Then have them create a poem on a section of the sidewalk with chalk. Offer other grades to walk the sidewalk and view the poetry.
3.Have the students pick out their favorite poem from the book. Students can then write a letter to the author describing three things they enjoyed about the poem. ( )
  cwarren0123 | Nov 26, 2016 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

1969 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,718,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible