Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (1974)

This book was really good. It was goofy at times, but it seemed to lead to really good lessens that people of any age need to learn. I was really much more impressed by this book than I thought I would be. ( )
  blog_gal | Jul 26, 2014 |
Where the Sidewalk Ends is a collection of poetry for children written by Shel Silverstein. The poems are all very silly, and really great for kids to read. It is a pretty long book that will keep kids busy and interested for a long time.
I have always loved Shel Silverstein, and own all of the books he wrote. I think these books will be good to keep in a classroom because sometimes kids just need to read silly books that they can laugh about.
  KayleighAdamsRossi | Jul 18, 2014 |
Summary of book: This beautiful book is a mixture of poems and drawings by the great Author Shel Silverstein. This is a collection of his writings for children that are funny and heartwarming. The pictures make the book extra fun. Silverstein has many other poem books to include A light in the Attic and The Missing Piece.

Personal Reaction: I love all of Shel Silverstein's books. My mother use to read me his poems. Our favorite is Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out. This was our favorite because my mother would always tell me to take out the trash and I never would. I think poems are nice little stories. They are short enough for children to sit through without complaining and long enough to tell a funny story.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would give each one of the students a picture and have them create a poem based on their picture.
2. I would have the children read a poem and then draw a picture of what they think the poem means ( )
  Gizellecardiel | Jul 17, 2014 |
I had managed to get through a childhood in the 70s without ever reading Shel Silverstein, don't quite know how that happened. A very enjoyable batch of poems, though some tended to darker than I expected. I also really loved the illustrations, pen and ink drawings are my one weakness.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
Summary: This book is a collection of poems. Poems that are silly, funny, and even quirky.

Personal Reaction: I used to own this book when I was a child. I loved it! Especially the one about Little Peggy Ann McClay (I think that was her last name) I believe the title of that poem is “I Cannot Go to School Today”.

Extension Ideas: 1. Read a few poems a day. 2. Have children write a poem of their own.
  dianehan | Jul 15, 2014 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible