Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (1974)

This is a book made up of all sorts of different poems. They range from silly, to serious, long, short, relatable, nonsense, etc. I like this book because Shel Silverstein is such a great poetry writer. I can really see myself reading a poem a day out of this book to my students. The class can really be any age to listen if not read these poems.
  jordyngingeryan | Oct 19, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Shel Silverstein is always brilliant! His rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
(3.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
There are three main reasons why I really liked this book. First, even though this was a very big book with over 100 pages, I really liked how each poem was different. By doing this, Shel Silverstein was able to keep the readers interested because you never knew what the next poem would be about. Second, I loved how short and simple the poems were, they weren’t over a page which is also a great way to keep the readers interested in whats to come next. Finally, I loved the black and white pictures. They were simple yet they went along with the poem perfectly and they helped to describe the poem as well. For example, in the poem Where the Sidewalk Ends, the picture is of two little kids and a dog hanging onto the end of the sidewalk and looking over the edge to see if they can find something at the end of the sidewalk.
The big idea of the book is imagination. In some of the poem, Shel Silverstein doesn’t give a specific ending like in Where the Sidewalk Ends, this leaves the reader to imagine what comes next. ( )
  Jillian_Magee | Oct 13, 2014 |
I absolutely love Shel Silverstein books. This was the first poetry book that I ever read and after I was finished I read it again and again. I loved the poems and the illustrations that went with the poems. Both together made it a great first experience with poetry. It is definitely one of my favorite children's books. I still remember some of my favorite poems and can still recite them today.

Silverstein definitely has a way with words and he does an excellent job of writing poems that children can understand. He incorporates rhyming patterns into each of his poems so the child will remember the poems long after they have finished reading them. Before reading this book I was not interested in poetry at all. In fact I was a bit hesitant to read this book because of my aversion to poetry, but after I read this book, I have gone on to read many more poetry books. Although poetry is still not my favorite I have a better appreciation for it because of Shel Silverstein. ( )
  sreinh2 | Oct 13, 2014 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:22 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible