Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings…

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings (original 1974; edition 1974)

by Shel Silverstein, Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)

Member:DonnaKLewis
Title:Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings
Authors:Shel Silverstein
Other authors:Shel Silverstein (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1974), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Poetry, humor, classic

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Poems and Drawings by Shel Silverstein (1974)

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein (gilberts)
    Alligator Pie by Dennis Lee (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Pre-eminent children's poets in their respective countries.

The beauty of this collection of poems is how diverse they are. There are poems about a crabby crocodile with a sore tooth that bits the dentist and a skinny boy who is sucked down the bathtub drain. Although some of the poems are a bit dark Shel Silverstein's uplifting honor radiates throughout the entire book never allowing things to get too dark or for that matter too serious.
  gregorysmith | Jul 31, 2016 |
This is one of my childhood favorites. Silverstein's silly world of mixed up poems is a place you'll enjoy visiting. His collection of drawings and poems are sure to make you smile.
  CindyNeils | Jul 29, 2016 |
this is a poems book. it consists of many poems and drawing with each poem.

I read this book a lot when I was in elementary school. I really loved it. The poems were fascinating to me when I was younger, and some still are today.

this book contains many rhyming poems that can help children learn how to rhyme in their poems. It can help captivate young children's imagination and help them explore the many different subjects poems can be about.
  Franki3 | Jul 25, 2016 |
I loved this book growing up and it was given to me as a gift for my daughter recently. The poems are short and easy for young readers to understand while the illustrations are humorous and unique. Shel Silverstein really has a knack for captivating the minds of children. I used to flip through the book to find my favorite poems as a kid and would always find a new poem. Can be read and re-read for many years to children of many ages. ( )
  ChelseaFinnerty | Jul 22, 2016 |
Shel Silverstein es el George R.R Martin de la poesía. Conté 12 muertos en este libro de poemas; incluyendo un niño que fue arrojado por un águila a un pozo de agua hirviendo, otro que fue devorado por una boa constrictor, un dentista devorado por un cocodrilo (luego de que dicho dentista torturara al cocodrilo arrancandole los dientes), y un extraño poema acerca de alguien que se comió un bebé.

Y esto es lo que algunos llaman "el mejor libro de poemas para niños jamás escrito", mientras que los canales de televisión infantiles ya no pasan El Coyote y el Correcaminos porque "incita a la violencia".

Pues déjenme decirles yo vi El Coyote y el Correcaminos un montón y mi salud mental no se vio afectada por eso, pero hubiese leído esto cuando niña (sobretodo el poema del dentista psicópata torturador) y mis padres aún me estuviesen pagando la terapia psicológica. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
There's some nice, lively stuff in here, good for reading aloud on a sleety weekend afternoon. Just don't make it the only book of verse on the children's shelves.

For Ursula..
"Invitation"
If you are a dreamer, come in,

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,

A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire

For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in!

Come in!
“HUG O’ WAR”

I will not play at tug o’ war.

I’d rather play at hug o’ war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs,

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses,

And everyone grins,

And everyone cuddles,

And everyone wins.
Information from the Hebrew Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

I think these are great poems that stand the length of time. What really stands out about Shel Silverstein is that his work is not just for children. His work has a place in probably 3rd grade on up. They are silly and funny which make children really want to listen. This is good poetry to start introducing this type of literature to children. The deeper meaning of these poems can also be discussed analyzed by older children.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060256672, Hardcover)

Shel Silverstein shook the staid world of children's poetry in 1974 with the publication of this collection, and things haven't been the same since. More than four and a half million copies of Where the Sidewalk Ends have been sold, making it the bestselling children's poetry book ever. With this and his other poetry collections (A Light in the Attic and Falling Up), Silverstein reveals his genius for reaching kids with silly words and simple pen-and-ink drawings. What child can resist a poem called "Dancing Pants" or "The Dirtiest Man in the World"? Each of the 130 poems is funny in a different way, or touching ... or both. Some approach naughtiness or are a bit disgusting to squeamish grown-ups, but that's exactly what kids like best about Silverstein's work. Jim Trelease, author of The New Read-Aloud Handbook, calls this book "without question, the best-loved collection of poetry for children." (Ages 4 to 10)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:02 -0400)

A boy who turns into a TV set and a girl who eats a whale are only two of the characters in a collection of humorous poetry illustrated with the author's own drawings.

1969 wanted2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,484,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible