No Easy Target: A Novel by Iris Johansen

No Easy Target: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Iris Johansen (Author)

Member:ElyPublicLibrary
Title:No Easy Target: A Novel
Authors:Iris Johansen (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 352 pages
Collections:New Books

No Easy Prey by Iris Johansen

As an animal lover, I was intrigued with the description of this book. However, as a reader with at least average intelligence, I was totally disappointed in the story. Never mind that people can't read animals thoughts, much less get them to do outrageous things through mind control, nor does the average 12-year-old possess the skills necessary to live for months in the woods armed only with a backpack with some clothes, the story is simply not credible in any way! The action is forced and unbelievable, the characters one-dimensional and the hours I wasted reading this sad tale are ones I shall never have back! ( )
  Susan.Macura | Jun 13, 2017 |
The premise was unique---loved the animal communication element---and the characters were believable and well-developed.
While the suspense was great through most of the book, I did feel it tended to lag in spots, or became overly detailed. Still, it kept me reading and turning the proverbial Kindle pages! A good read, and I would definitely check out more of Ms. Johansen's efforts. ( )
  barb_heck | Jun 12, 2017 |
Margaret Douglas manages to keep her painful past at bay by maintaining a low profile, keeping to herself, and never staying in one place for too long. But her ability to communicate with animals is a skill that others covet.
Despite her caution, Margaret soon finds herself at the mercy of CIA operative John Lassiter, who knows nothing of the woman except for her usefulness as a pawn as he seeks to rescue one of his men from a horrific enemy.

Will Lassiter trade Margaret for his friend? And why does the evil, psychopathic Nicos want to control this woman?

Interesting characters, a strong plot, and several animals all combine to keep the tension building as the story unfolds. Readers are likely to find the unexpected ending a bit of a surprise.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | May 6, 2017 |
Loved it! Margaret has a gift of communicating with animals - it's amazing and mesmerizing. The book also has a lot of action and romance. I'm not usually a fan of "strong" women but imagine running away from home because your father beats you and you know that next time the beating will kill you so you run into the forest at a young age and survive quite well thanks to the "gift" she has been given. There's quite a lot of wisdom as well regarding her rape at a young age and how she overcame it because it's what's inside you that counts not what happens to your body. I do hope there will be another book with Margaret. ( )
  juju2cat | Apr 23, 2017 |
This author has been recommended to me by many people over the years. When I read the blurb for this book I was excited to finally get to her work. A pet whisper who helps take down a killer/drug dealer. I'm a sucker for paranormal stories, add animals and I'm a happy reader. I was not a happy reader while reading this. I'm warning you I was feeling a bit rant-ish after finishing it.
What went wrong for me: Never ending telling and retelling, over explained everything down to the smallest little detail, repetitive explanations, cold mechanical sex, weird methodical dialog, silly goading, too many dialogs, one dimensional characters, conversations that I could not figure out who was speaking, the conversations with the animals were odd and didn't feel emotional like they were told to be. Yes, told, the book spent a lot of time telling me how it was to be felt. They talked/inner dialog/explained so much I just wanted them to shut up so I could read the story. The romance, sigh, what romance ? It was ridiculous, heated glares, glances, and "let's have sex" after you kidnapped me and plan on using me in a way that could get me tortured and killed. It was step A, step B, step C, done. Really, is that supposed to work ? The suspense, was so cheesy, the big bad guys so hollywood derived, I never felt it. The ending was, nothing, it went to nothing.
What did I like about the story ? When she rescued Juno, that was a good moment. Till the dog started talking, ugg ruined moment that lasts and lasts. I hope that I never get to talk with animals if they keep repeating themselves like Juno. My dog is looking at me now and I'm so grateful I can't hear a word, sorry pup.
Stubborn to the end I finished this book even when I knew at 10% in it wasn't working for me. I will not be reading more from this author her style does not work for me. ( )
1 vote TheYodamom | Apr 11, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125007584X, Hardcover)

When an enemy from her past threatens to return, Margaret Douglas must go on the run. But danger is in hot pursuit, and Margaret finds herself matching wits with a man who refuses to be stopped. Turning from the hunted to the hunter, Margaret must use everything she has to not only survive, but defeat evil and prove she’s No Easy Prey in this high-octane thriller.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 03 Sep 2016 18:04:25 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,218,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible