The Burial Hour (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by…

The Burial Hour (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) (edition 2017)

by Jeffery Deaver (Author)

Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:The Burial Hour (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), Edition: 1, 480 pages

The Burial Hour (A Lincoln Rhyme Novel) by Jeffery Deaver

The Burial Hour is the 13th entry in Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series.

For those who haven't read this series - Rhyme is a quadriplegic with limited hand control. Formerly an NYPD detective, he now works for them as a consultant. His fiance Amelia Sachs, also a NYPD detective, is his eyes on the ground, attending the crime scenes and gathering evidence.

Settling in with the latest Deaver is like catching up with old friends. The romance between the two leads is moving (slowly) towards marriage. The 'business' part of their relationship is successful - their combined skill sets are renowned in police circles. The supporting cast includes Rhyme's care worker Thom. I did miss NYPD investigators Sellito and Pulaski who only have brief cameos this time 'round. I feel like I've come to know all the players quite well over the last twelve novels. So, settling in with this latest is like catching up with old friends.

In The Burial Hour, seemingly unrelated victims are being snatched in broad daylight. The miniature noose left at each crime scene ties the cases together. But it is what the perp is doing with his victims that is horrendous. He is obsessed with sounds and music and is filming the death throes of his victims, using their tortured sounds as part of a musical accompaniment. The killer is given a voice through his own chapters and the reader is privy to his reasoning before the cops are.

At the heart of this series is Rhyme's uncanny ability to find clues in the most minute of trace evidence. And it is this skill that puts the cops on the trail of the killer they now call The Composer. That trail takes Rhyme and Sachs overseas to Italy. Deaver has done this in previous books - moving the crime and investigation to different countries. I'm not sure I'm sold on it. It does provide an opportunity to introduce new characters and new settings. At the same time it provides the opportunity for the investigation to be more difficult as laws and practices are differen from the US. While I found the settings and law in Italy interesting, I quickly grew tired of the two Italian leads - a forestry officer and a prosecutor. I felt they were overdrawn - one is quite bright, but a novice, the other is secretive and bullying. The number of times this was demonstrated grew tiresome.

There is always a secondary plot to Deaver's books. This time it's an American accused of rape in Italy. Can Sachs and Ryhme help expose the truth? This plotline was quite different with the whodunit and why quite removed from my initial assumptions. It also showcases a current political viewpoint. The resolution of that case opens up a new possibility for future books - one that looks quite promising.

It is the forensic detail that I enjoy the most about this series. The minutiae that provides the clues. The sharp analytical mind (and personality) of Lincoln Rhyme. I mentioned that reading this series was like sitting down with old friends. And it is - but this latest book kinda reminds me of friends who are telling the same stories each time, albeit with a few twists. Enjoyable but not mesmerizing. ( )
  Twink | Jun 1, 2017 |
At the scene of the crime, a kidnapper leaves behind a tiny noose fashioned from a cello string; later the kidnapping victim appears on an internet video stream with a noose around his neck, his death apparently imminent. Eerie background “music,” accented with the victim’s gasps, accompany the video and the perpetrator signs his work “The Composer.”

Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are soon on the case and, shortly thereafter, tracking The Composer to Italy where they are joined by Ercole Benelli, a Forestry Officer who takes center stage in much of the investigation. The case takes some unexpected turns and some international roadblocks and red tape seem designed to thwart the capture of The Composer. Is Ercole Benelli up to the task of the investigation? Will Prosecutor Dante Spiro keep Rhyme and Sachs from putting an end to The Composer’s sinister plans?

This latest outing for Rhyme and Sachs offers readers enough plot twists and turns to keep them scrambling all the way to the final reveal. Interesting characters join the beloved Lincoln and Amelia, creating a story that intertwines the crime with current events, a tale designed to keep readers guessing until the final reveal.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | May 26, 2017 |
The Burial Hour is book 13 in the Lincoln Rhyme series and once again Deaver shows what a fantastic writer he is.

I have to admit that I was not as taken with this book as I was with Steel Kiss the book before, at least not in the beginning. Don't take me wrong, the book is good, well-written, with an interesting case that will bring Rhyme and Sachs all the way to Italy. However, I was not impressed with the kidnapper. The Composer just never struck me as a very interesting villain. Not compared to other villains that Rhyme and Sachs have had to stop in previous books. However, this is Deaver we are talking about, around 100 pages before the book ended did it seem that they have closed the case which surprised me. I mean there is a lot of more pages to fill out, it can't be this simple? And, it was not. It's towards the end that Dever pulls the rug out from the reader's feet and twist the story, and suddenly wow! This is what I'm talking about, now the story of the book suddenly become very intense.

The Burial Hour is a great book, I love the new setting of Italy. That really made me eager to try out more crime books set in Italy. The contrast between the Italian law enforcement and the American was interesting to observe and I came to like Ercole Benelli, the Forestry officer that Rhyme and Sache worked it, very much.

4.5 stars!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible