The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane (edition 2017)

by Lisa See (Author)

Member:marycallan
Title:The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane
Authors:Lisa See (Author)
Info:Scribner (2017), 384 pages

The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

Recently added bycfulton20, thacher, VickieG, DRHuber, PaintGirl, HayleyHardwick, LMJenkins, SassyBrit, private library

To Read (73)

A fascinating story of a girl in Yunnan Province in remote rural China with its ancient traditions and rituals where exotic Pu'er tea is cultivated. This was another of talented author Lisa See's books - I read most of it yesterday on a plane flight, finished it this morning, and remained intrigued throughout. The book follows the girl, Li-Yan, as she is educated, has a child at an early age who she regretfully surrenders, becomes a successful business owner and finds love. Li-Yan and her village transform and "modernize" very quickly with many accompanying challenges.

I learned a lot about tea, mainly about Pu'er tea with its earthy flavor and medicinal properties, and about the internal conflicts of some cross-cultural adoptees. I really loved reading this book and, surprisingly, when I arrived at my Mom's home after my plane trip yesterday, learned that Mom was in the middle of reading this same book!!! The first line of the book was "no coincidence, no story", which was confirmed in the story line, so seeing the book on Mom's table was a perfect reflection of what I was reading! ( )
  njinthesun | Oct 21, 2018 |
Loved it and was so sorry for the book to come to an end. (Audio) ( )
  LASMIT | Oct 19, 2018 |
The Tea Girl of Hummingbird
By Lisa See
2018

The Akha Tribe are an ethnic minority in Yunnan, China, nestled in a remote area f the Hanno Mountains. The area is rich in its past, its traditions. Its economy is dependant on the growing and processing of a special type of tea.
Li-Yan is one of the few educated girls in the Akha Tribe and she is often its chief translator with strangers and tourists. When she becomes pregnant, and has a daughter out of wedlock, she decides to abandon the girl at a welfare office to avoid its being killed. The girl is adopted by an American family, thus begins our story of Li-Yan, whose life we follow throughout the book.
The history of the area is told in rich and beautiful detail, its depth adds so much to this story of love, betrayal, heritage and life.
I absolutely adored this book and Li-Yan. The pace and detail made this hard to put down.
Beautiful story. Highly Recommended. ( )
  over.the.edge | Sep 23, 2018 |
This is one of the better books that I have read recently. It was a nice change to find this one revolving around a different culture than most books I read. I really enjoyed the beginning of this novel, but I knocked off one star because I found the ending not quite as engaging, and it felt rather rushed. Great read though. ( )
  patsaintsfan | Aug 13, 2018 |
Finally with The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane I think Lisa See has written a novel as good as Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I loved everything about it. Her women are so strong even when confused. They don’t just sit around hoping someone will save them. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jul 16, 2018 |

Wevers, SylviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhelmi, ErinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When a son is born,
Let him sleep on the bed,
Clothe him with fine clothes,
And give him jade to play . . .
When a daughter is born,
Let her sleep on the ground,
Wrap her in common wrappings,
And give her broken tiles to play . . .
Book of Songs (1000-700 B.C.)
In memory of my mother, Carolyn See
"No coincidence, no story," my a-ma recites, and that seems to settle everything, as it usually does, after First Brother finishes telling us about the dream he had last night.
A spark lights a fire. Water sprouts a seed. The Akha way tells us that a single moment changes destinies.

"A thrilling new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Lisa See explores the lives of a Chinese mother and her daughter who has been adopted by an American couple. Li-yan and her family align their lives around the seasons and the farming of tea. There is ritual and routine, and it has been ever thus for generations. Then one day a jeep appears at the village gate--the first automobile any of them have seen--and a stranger arrives. In this remote Yunnan village, the stranger finds the rare tea he has been seeking and a reticent Akha people. In her biggest seller, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, See introduced the Yao people to her readers. Here she shares the customs of another Chinese ethnic minority, the Akha, whose world will soon change. Li-yan, one of the few educated girls on her mountain, translates for the stranger and is among the first to reject the rules that have shaped her existence. When she has a baby outside of wedlock, rather than stand by tradition, she wraps her daughter in a blanket, with a tea cake hidden in her swaddling, and abandons her in the nearest city. After mother and daughter have gone their separate ways, Li-yan slowly emerges from the security and insularity of her village to encounter modern life while Haley grows up a privileged and well-loved California girl. Despite Haley's happy home life, she wonders about her origins; and Li-yan longs for her lost daughter. They both search for and find answers in the tea that has shaped their family's destiny for generations. A powerful story about a family, separated by circumstances, culture, and distance, Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane paints an unforgettable portrait of a little known region and its people and celebrates the bond that connects mothers and daughters"--"A thrilling new novel from #1 New York Times bestselling author Lisa See explores the lives of a Chinese mother and her daughter who has been adopted by an American couple"--… (more)

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,728,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible