The Keeper of Lost Things: winner of the…

The Keeper of Lost Things: winner of the Richard & Judy Readers'… (edition 2017)

by Ruth Hogan (Author)

Member:gogglemiss
Title:The Keeper of Lost Things: winner of the Richard & Judy Readers' Award and Sunday Times bestseller
Authors:Ruth Hogan (Author)
Info:Two Roads (2017), Edition: 01, 336 pages
Collections:2019, Your library, ebook
Tags:modern fiction, relationships

The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan

Recently added bybooksmurf, rena75, kathdob, arlingtonlibrary, megmagiera, private library

English (45)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
For me this book was quite a mixed bag. The plot was fanciful and sweet, the writing was lyrical and beautiful, and the characters were interesting and generally handled well. Then in the last third of the book, the plot meanders off into this strange place and I really didn’t want to follow it. There was a lot of eye rolling during the last quarter of the book but overall, I suppose I enjoyed it. Restrained praise on this one, but still praise. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
It's been too long since I read a book that makes me feel like I can not explain it. These are not the type of books I read, and yet it was beautiful and refreshing. ( )
  Denizhorowits | Feb 5, 2019 |
What a lovely book! I was passed this by a colleague in work who is as book mad as me, and told me nothing about the story. It is a mystery, love story and ghost story rolled into one, with wonderful characters one of whom is a lovely dancing drome!

The inclusion of a disabled person as a key character is a wonderful thing, and Hogan has captured the glorious innocence of a Downs Syndrome person in Sunshine. There is no sentimentality, no pity, just a lovely character who is as complex as she is innocent. The other characters are just as well written and the story weaves through different strands well.

I don't know what's holding me back from the 5th star - maybe the too neat a conclusion...but do not let this stop you from reading this book, it is truly lovely! ( )
  peelap | Feb 3, 2019 |
Not perfect in writing or construction, but really beautifully done. A story where the keeping of lost things compensates for loss, as the main character (a writer) collects things he's found. The writing simply ties together the people with the objects and their stories, without being overbearing, by focusing on Laura, a housekeeper who is left a house by her employer. Exceptional for a debut novel, with good characters and subplots that all tie together without fuss. ( )
  lisahistory | Dec 30, 2018 |
4 stars for gorgeous writing
I absolutely loved the author’s style of writing and word choice, that said, God did this book made me sad at times.

I personally have a bias against books that cover large periods of time so I try to avoid them. Usually in those books, a lot of people die and that makes me sad.
I don’t need a book to be 100% happy but I will never hesitate to state my personal preference which is books that take place over shorter periods of time.
And I make that clear because it is never the fault of the author if I don’t love a book for that reason.

So, back to this book.
This book basically revolves around two storylines.
There is Laura who inherits a house and a collection of found objects.
Then there is Eunice whose story begins in the 1980’s when she meets Bomber and continues over the decades.

You see my conundrum. A surprise storyline that covers decades.
Laura’s story worked better for me, Eunice’s broke my heart at times.

I knew I was in trouble early in the book when I read the line “but over time the stories grew darker...the happy endings gradually gave way...crediting his readers with both imagination and intellect”.
Uh oh, I thought, am I being predictable and i creative to want/expect a happy ending in this book? Is the author warning me?

In the scheme of things, I’m ok with how the story ended. But at the beginning of the book, I thought it might be a rare 5 Star for me. Personal bias included, I was never going to get to 5 stars with this one. It made me sad. But ultimately it was beautifully written and I will look for what this author writes next. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
To Bill, my faithful wingman, and Princess Tilly Bean
Charles Bramwell Brockley was travelling alone and without a ticket on the 14.42 from London Bridge to Brighton.

A charming, clever, and quietly moving debut novel of of endless possibilities and joyful discoveries that explores the promises we make and break, losing and finding ourselves, the objects that hold magic and meaning for our lives, and the surprising connections that bind us.

Lime green plastic flower-shaped hair bobbles—Found, on the playing field, Derrywood Park, 2nd September.

Bone china cup and saucer—Found, on a bench in Riveria Public Gardens, 31st October.

Anthony Peardew is the keeper of lost things. Forty years ago, he carelessly lost a keepsake from his beloved fiancée, Therese. That very same day, she died unexpectedly. Brokenhearted, Anthony sought consolation in rescuing lost objects—the things others have dropped, misplaced, or accidently left behind—and writing stories about them. Now, in the twilight of his life, Anthony worries that he has not fully discharged his duty to reconcile all the lost things with their owners. As the end nears, he bequeaths his secret life’s mission to his unsuspecting assistant, Laura, leaving her his house and and all its lost treasures, including an irritable ghost.

Recovering from a bad divorce, Laura, in some ways, is one of Anthony’s lost things. But when the lonely woman moves into his mansion, her life begins to change. She finds a new friend in the neighbor’s quirky daughter, Sunshine, and a welcome distraction in Freddy, the rugged gardener. As the dark cloud engulfing her lifts, Laura, accompanied by her new companions, sets out to realize Anthony’s last wish: reuniting his cherished lost objects with their owners.

Long ago, Eunice found a trinket on the London pavement and kept it through the years. Now, with her own end drawing near, she has lost something precious—a tragic twist of fate that forces her to break a promise she once made.

As the Keeper of Lost Objects, Laura holds the key to Anthony and Eunice’s redemption. But can she unlock the past and make the connections that will lay their spirits to rest?

Full of character, wit, and wisdom, The Keeper of Lost Things is heartwarming tale that will enchant fans of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, Garden Spells, Mrs Queen Takes the Train, and The Silver Linings Playbook.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 19 Sep 2016 20:54:34 -0400)

Having collected a lifetime of lost objects in order to deal with the loss of his fiance, Anthony Peardew bequeaths his secret life's mission to his unsuspecting assistant Laura, leaving her his house and all its lost treasures--and the responsibility to return each one to its owner.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,442,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible