The Turn of the Screw and Other Short…

The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction (Bantam Classics) (edition 1981)

by Henry James

Member:toadkeep
Title:The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Henry James
Info:Bantam Classics (1981), Paperback, 560 pages

The Turn of the Screw, and Other Short Fiction by Henry James

If you like the Turn of the screw, consider listening to Britten's opera on the same. ( )
  Lapsus16 | Jun 3, 2013 |
I didn't actually get to read this book. My english professor seemed to think it possible to read the entire thing between one class and the next. Therefore, I didn't even start because I figured I would never finish. However, the sparknotes made it sound really interesting and kinda made me feel bad for never having a chance to pick up the book ): ( )
  KatiBruneau | Apr 3, 2013 |
I think that this is the only book from 10th grade English class (we focused on American authors that year) that I actually liked. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
Turgid. ( )
  912greens | Oct 17, 2007 |
An early sample of the ghost story/psychological thriller, but really didn't do it for me. ( )
  gazzy | Mar 26, 2007 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, R.W.B.Introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

To read a story by Henry James is to enter a fully realized world unlike any other—a rich, perfectly crafted domain of vivid language and splendid, complex characters. Devious children, sparring lovers, capricious American girls, obtuse bachelors, sibylline spinsters, and charming Europeans populate these five fascinating nouvelles, which represent the author in both his early and late phases. From the apparitions of evil that haunt the governess in “The Turn of the Screw” to the startling self-scrutiny of an egotistical man in “The Beast in the Jungle,” the mysterious turnings of human behavior are coolly and masterfully observed—proving Henry James to be a master of psychological insight as well as one of the finest prose stylists of modern English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:15 -0400)

The story of a young governess whose awareness of "visitations" by dead members of the household leads to a tragic climax.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible