The Turn of the Screw and Other Short…

The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction (Bantam Classics) (edition 1981)

by Henry James

Member:toadkeep
Title:The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Henry James
Info:Bantam Classics (1981), Paperback, 560 pages

The Turn of the Screw, and Other Short Fiction by Henry James

The Turn of the Screw contains four short stories that all focus on the psychological development of the characters. Emotions, feelings, and perceptions are far more important to James than action and events are. The title story is about two children and their governess who are haunted by the ghosts of their former governess and a servant. The Pupil is about a tutor and his student and their relationship with the student's parents. The Tree of Knowledge is about an artist's relationship with his best friend, wife, and son, all of whom understand that the artist is not a success. The Figure in the Carpet is about a man and his two friends' quest to discover the secret meaning behind an author's works.

While I admit that Henry James is a great author who has made significant contributions to literature, he's just not my cup of tea. I don't think I've really enjoyed anything I've read by him to date. For quality of the book, I have to give him 4 stars, but for how much I personally enjoyed the book, I have to go with 2 stars. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
If you like the Turn of the screw, consider listening to Britten's opera on the same. ( )
  Lapsus16 | Jun 3, 2013 |
I didn't actually get to read this book. My english professor seemed to think it possible to read the entire thing between one class and the next. Therefore, I didn't even start because I figured I would never finish. However, the sparknotes made it sound really interesting and kinda made me feel bad for never having a chance to pick up the book ): ( )
  KatiBruneau | Apr 3, 2013 |
I think that this is the only book from 10th grade English class (we focused on American authors that year) that I actually liked. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
Turgid. ( )
  912greens | Oct 17, 2007 |

Henry Jamesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lewis, R.W.B.Introductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

To read a story by Henry James is to enter a fully realized world unlike any other—a rich, perfectly crafted domain of vivid language and splendid, complex characters. Devious children, sparring lovers, capricious American girls, obtuse bachelors, sibylline spinsters, and charming Europeans populate these five fascinating nouvelles, which represent the author in both his early and late phases. From the apparitions of evil that haunt the governess in “The Turn of the Screw” to the startling self-scrutiny of an egotistical man in “The Beast in the Jungle,” the mysterious turnings of human behavior are coolly and masterfully observed—proving Henry James to be a master of psychological insight as well as one of the finest prose stylists of modern English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:01 -0400)

The story of a young governess whose awareness of "visitations" by dead members of the household leads to a tragic climax.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,485,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible