A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Wings and Ruin (2017)

by Sarah J. Maas

English (58)  Piratical (1)  All languages (59)
The last of this trilogy as good though not as good as the second one. It was very action packed but also had a lot of winding down that needed to happen since it was the last book and needed to conclude in a nice, neatly wrapped package. I read it in a day (so it was at least that good) and did enjoy it! Would recommend the trilogy for sure. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
I can see why a lot of people didn't enjoy this one as much as ACOMAF but I loved it none the less.
It took a very long time to get to the big action, but I didn't mind the slowness and seeing all the little things they had to go through to finally get there. I enjoyed Seeing all the Courts interact especially because all the High Lords are so different from one another and fit their Courts so well, almost like their Court personified. Her imagery of the different locations and characters made me picture them so vividly.
The thing I really love about these books is the relationship dynamics, especially between all the core characters. I love Feyre's protectiveness she has for those she loves, and the fury for those that have wronged her. I love how badass she is; she's cunning and smart and sarcastic. She loves so deeply and can be so caring. I love seeing her with the inner circle, but even more with her sisters and trying to figure out how to help them in their new world.
I cried a few times in this one and my heart broke in so many different scenes. I really enjoyed this one just as much as ACOMAF. ( )
  KayleighWynne | Jul 30, 2018 |
Of the 3 books this was my least favorite. It did not flow naturally, and too much was forced on us. Seemed contrived to try to appeal to too many different factions, that the first 2 books should have introduced.
  magrra | Jul 14, 2018 |
I'm really happy about how Feyre's story ended. I didn't feel the ridiculous about of glee I got fromthe other books but I just think that's because the story didn't center around Feyre and Rhys's whole love situation. I got a fair amount of shocks and tears. I can't believe this series is going to go anymore though. I'm sure it's going to happen with new characters but then it would be a separate series... we will see. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Only you can decide what breaks you, Cursebreaker. Only you.
This book is a beautiful mess. Beautiful because there were so many heart wrenching moments that just tore at me, and a mess because quite frankly that is what it was.

I remember being not fully satisfied with this book when I first read it, nor really anticipating rereading it leading up to ACOFAS, but I’m actually really glad I did because it caused me to take a step back and realize the things that were weak about it, and that a favorite author can let me down... which is perfectly okay.

Throughout rereading this book I was coming to terms with giving it three stars, and in all honestly, that's what it is. Maybe a half a star extra. But... because of my sheer loyalty and a good bout of feels this book gave me, I'm keeping my original four star rating. While there were some really, really good moments, this book just comes nowhere near close to Sarah’s other books.

I recently listened to a podcast with Sarah where she didn’t explicitly say but very well mentioned that she was a bit crunched for time writing this book... which really shows. When I’ve reread the trilogy recently, I started to notice things that I didn’t like about her writing that I hadn’t noticed before and it was even more present in this book (for instance word choice, over used phrases and examples, certain sentence structures).

My main issue with this book was the way Sarah chose to tell the story. By having the entire book in Feyre’s POV it just came off as lazy. She had such a good opportunity to tell the story like she does TOG, following many characters, but she really limited herself with Feyre. This entire time I was sick of Feyre’s voice (which I enjoy in the previous two books) and more sex scenes - really the first one was good, but the rest I literally skipped. I wanted to see Amren and Varian, Cas and Nesta (dear god please give me more) even Lucien and Elain. Not to mention the bond absolutely started gritting on my nerves because it was such a lazy storytelling device. It’s like she didn’t want to take the time to write it and just teased us with little bits and it was agonizing.

Someone had pointed out that the difference between Rhys and Rowan is that Rowan isn’t a fully developed character when we first meet him so we get to take that journey with him, but Rhys is fully developed and while we get to learn his story, his entire character arc is simply him getting better. And more generous. His flaws are that he sacrifices himself... pretends to be evil when he’s actually not...

Also the magic and world building felt lazy in here. There were multiple instances that felt like a) Sarah was pulling something random to create conflict and then b) pulling another random thing to solve it.

Like I said I enjoyed this book... and even more than last time (especially those battle scene. yes honey). It had so many amazing moments, but it’s just not like her other books. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
For Josh and Annie - A gift. All of it.
The buzzing flies and screaming survivors had long since replaced the beating war-drums.

Feyre returns to the Spring Court on a reconnaissance mission about the invading king. As a spy, the future of the entire kingdom may rely on her ability to play her part perfectly, and her decisions about who to trust and which allies are best will decide the outcome of the coming war.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,983,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible