A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns…

A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses) (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sarah J. Maas (Author)

1,2007510,095 (4.35)20
Member:malanspeak
Title:A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses)
Authors:Sarah J. Maas (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2017), 720 pages
Tags:MCYC

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas (2017)

English (74)  Piratical (1)  All languages (75)
The story, and the pacing, got better in this book, though it's still not as good as the Throne of Glass series in my opinion. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
“I see you […] And it does not frighten me” (pg 280).This is still a fun series, and I absolutely love the increased focus on Feyre’s sisters. I enjoy reading about the fire that is Nesta and the sweet breeze that is Elain. Also, I like seeing disagreements and familial moments with the Inner Court. I’m definitely not complaining about Lucien redemption either!

I think this book showed an excellent view of how war affects people, the common people, the ones fighting on the front lines, and the ones making the decisions.

Now, for the negatives, Feyre has too many doggone powers, and she can fly now.

Isn’t this creeping into mary-sue territory? Nerf her powers like Ash’s pikachu at the start of a new region. And the sex scenes are too cringy; they are not sexy at all. I don’t know what happened to them from book one, but I find myself skipping through them. That last-minute death was laughable because we all knew the golden boy Rhys was not going to die.

Overall, the nature of Sarah Maas’ books usually take me a while to finish. But I was thoroughly interested in the story, so I finished it rather quickly. Never did I wish for things to wrap up like I did for book 2.
  DestDest | Mar 19, 2019 |
Holy... Freaking... Crap...

One bragging moment, please: I read this in less than a day. I COULDN'T put it down. I knew that if I tried to, I would just end up wondering what happened, and I wouldn't be able to focus.
Also, who's brilliant idea was it to publish this book during finals week?! BAD IDEA!

Sarah, you killed me. Over, and over, and over again. My best friend has about a million snaps of me either smirking or covering my face and saying "NO!" about something that happened in this book. All my friends are worried about me, my mom is laughing at me because I cried at a place close to the end.

Can I just die now and not feel anything else ever again?

I love SJM's books, one because I tend to think things through and not feel emotions, and these books make me ride this roller coaster of emotions throughout the entire story. Also, her plots... She is not the predictable person so many other authors are! I couldn't figure out what the heck was going to happen, and that made me both scared, and happy.

Feyre's story arc is possibly my favorite Maasian arc so far. I can't decide between this one and Aelin's... Feyre has gone from the thorny girl in "A Court of Thorns and Roses," to this totally awesome, badass lady in "A Court of Wings and Ruin." Her scars run deep, but she doesn't let them control her, and that is amazing to see after reading so many books where the main character just lets her pain rule her, and she acts because of how she feels. Feyre rationalizes what needs to happen, and does it as quickly and efficiently as she can. She still has her "human heart," no matter what has happened to her.

Rhysand... Rhys is so my favorite character in the ACOTAR series. Snarky, a total boss, charming at times, full of surprises, and of course, "the world's best lover" in his own words. His character arc was a joy to read, seeing him going from the masked jerk he was in ACOTAR ("Oh, that's wonderfully gruesome... Such words from a lady..." Chapter 37), to the wonderful male he became in ACOWAR ("You are your own person, you make your own choices. But we are mates--I am yours, and you are mine. We do not let each other do things, as if we dictate the movements of each other. But... I might have insisted I go with you. More for my own mental well-being, just to know you were safe" Chapter 61. "I love you... I love you..." Chapter 76.).

Trying not to put spoilers in here is next to impossible.

I had so many WUT moments in this book, that I don't even know how to think straight about this book. I literally had several times I'd send a snap of me laughing to my bestie with the page number, and then THE VERY NEXT PAGE, I'd be going "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!" and being very upset. Sarah is the queen on plot twists. I still don't trust anyone because who knows what side they're on!

There are still so many questions I have that need to be answered in the next three books: Nesta and Cassian, Mor, Azriel, Elain and Lucien... I need one of the books to be about Lucien's adventures, and another on Mor, and then the other one about Nesta. I'd also like a book about Amren (who was totally badass in this... I can't say anything else...).

Sarah, never stop writing these books!

I'm going to shut up before I write out the plot of the entire book. Because that would be unfortunate.

I cannot wait for more SJM books to be published!
~Kat ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Wow! Usually in this type of series (especially with 500 pages) there are points that drag. Surprisingly, this was not the case in this book....never a dull moment!

I did not expect it to end on that happy of a note. I'm hoping the next books in the series will be told from dual POVs. I'm really anxious to see where the relationships between Elain/Lucien and Cassian/Nesta go from here.

One thing that really bothered me about the past two books was the way Tamlin was portrayed. I didn't agree with what he did, but I didn't feel like he needed to be painted in such a bad light. However, I am glad that there was a little redemption for him towards the end of this book.
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Still great ... and there will be another one next summer!!!! ( )
  LibraryLady14 | Jan 24, 2019 |
For Josh and Annie - A gift. All of it.
The buzzing flies and screaming survivors had long since replaced the beating war-drums.

Feyre returns to the Spring Court on a reconnaissance mission about the invading king. As a spy, the future of the entire kingdom may rely on her ability to play her part perfectly, and her decisions about who to trust and which allies are best will decide the outcome of the coming war.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,827,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible