The Simple Art of Murder by Raymond Chandler

The Simple Art of Murder (1950)

by Raymond Chandler

Got it just to read the titular essay, which was nice. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
His last but it is still Chandler ( )
  BobBerring | Jul 23, 2015 |
Unlike many, I was absolutely delighted by the title essay of this collection; unfortunately, thus far the rest of the stories have yet to follow suit, and it is ironic that I could identify the murderer immediately after their initial appearance in "Spanish Blood" after the entire previous essay was spent railing against the formulaic. This is, I suppose, simply a good example of how an author's prejudices can shoot holes in their talent. Most of the other stories fell into the same category, except (perhaps also ironically) the last one, Pearls are a Nuisance, which was delightfully sharp. ( )
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
2.5 stars

These are detective short stories that were originally published separately in magazines in the 1930s and 1940s. There is also one essay written by the author, with the same title as the book.

I should know by now not to pick short stories, unless I'm more certain I'll be interested in the topic. I think I've discovered why I'm not a big short story fan, though – or one reason why, anyway. If I lose interest and my mind wanders at any point, I miss too much of the story. I thought the essay was kind of interesting, and I did like one of the short stories, but the others just didn't hold my attention. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |
I enjoyed this, particularly the essay: Chandler doesn't really spare anyone, but I rather like that.

On the other hand, I didn't feel blown away by the prose, in this one. Maybe it's that the short stories aren't Chandler's form, maybe it's just that I'm bundled up in the cognitive cotton wool of a cold and the cough suppressants. There's just something same-y about them, and the freshness and sharpness of the prose from, say, The Big Sleep, doesn't seem quite as much in evidence. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Fiction in any form has always intended to be realistic.

Collects these stories
"The Simple Art of Murder: an Essay"
"Spanish Blood"
"I'll Be Waiting"
"The King in Yellow"
"Pearls are a Nuisance"
"Pickup on Noon Street"
"Smart-Aleck Kill"
"Guns at Cyrano's"
"Nevada Gas"
Contains: The Simple Art of Murder, Killer in the Rain, Trouble is my Business a Smart-Aleck Kill

Prefaced by the famous Atlantic Monthly essay of the same name, in which he argues the virtues of the hard-boiled detective novel, this collection mostly drawn from stories he wrote for the pulps demonstrates Chandler's imaginative, entertaining facility with the form.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:14 -0400)

An essay on detective fiction accompanies eight stories about a politician's murder, a hotel detective, missing pearls, and gangsters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible