Gertrude and Toby Save the Gingerbread Man…

Gertrude and Toby Save the Gingerbread Man

by Shari Tharp

"Farmer Sam and his son Ryan are taking their prize pig to the county fair. Gertrude and Toby decide they have plenty of time to sneak off the farm for an extra adventure. But Gertrude and Toby soon discover that a giant has captured their friend, the Gingerbread Man! Gertrude and Toby come up with a plan to save him. But the giant, who is sleeping nearby, wakes up during their rescue!"--Amazon.com.… (more)

This is a very interesting premise. Gertrude and Toby live on a farm and when the farmer and his son go off to the fair, they decide to go and explore. This is where the story meets fairytale land. As they are walking they see a magic carpet, they meet up with Hansel and Gretel and actually join forces with the magic carpet to save The Gingerbread Man from a Giant. It is a cute story that kids who have heard the fairytales will probably think is pretty neet. The only problem I have is that after they rescue the Gingerbread Man, there is suddenly a Market Owner who allows the homeless Hansel and Gretel to come and live with him and Toby and Gertrude head back to the farm. Not sure about that ending. As this was a pre-published copy of the book, the illustrations were roughed in, but not complete so I am not sure what they will look like as far as colours go, but the sketches are nice and complement the story.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Hop on for a magic carpet ride with Gertrude and Toby and Hansel and Gretel. Feel the excitement as the partners attempt to save a gingerbread man from the jaws of death. That big ol' giant had to gum down his cookies for his lack of teeth.

Shari Tharp and Jim Heath have joined forces again to create another wonderful children's book that combines a goat and tortoise and some other children's fairy tale characters. The expressions on Gertrude and Toby's faces as Farmer Sam and Ryan try to shove a prize pig into a trailer to transport to the county fair are priceless. Kids probably won't be afraid of the "Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum" bellering giant after seeing him napping and awakening with a big stretch.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Gertrude asked.
"Indeed," responded Toby. "our books are amazing adventures filled wonder and magic." ( )
  Winnemucca | Mar 2, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great story, my kids loved it. They had read the first book in the series ,so this added to the story for them. Great illustrations.
1 vote Jessicathomas | Feb 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first Gertrude and Toby book that we've read. My daughter enjoyed it, but I think we'll need to read the 1st book in the series to understand the characters better. It was fun to see the Gingerbread Man and Hansel and Gretel mixed into the adventure. Fairy Tale characters that my daughter already knows about help make the story more interesting. ( )
1 vote ladytaluka | Jan 18, 2017 |
Very nice book!
Веселая история с великолепными иллюстрациями
Интересная сказка, великолепно оформленная иллюстрациями.
Короткое произведение, 40 стр., читается легко, на каждой странице совсем немного текста, но много изображений.
В сказке встречаются разные сказочные персонажи: великан, ведьма, Гензель и Гретель на ковре-самолете, и все эти герои пересекаются с основными персонажами - черепашкой Toby и козочкой Gertrude.
Прекрасно подойдет для маленьких читателей (2-7 лет), в лучших традициях чтения детям (перед сном, например).
Книга на английском языке. ( )
  ViktoriiaL | Jan 13, 2017 |

Also available as a review copy on NetGalley: http://netgal.ly/L0m88f

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shari Tharp's book Gertrude and Toby Save the Gingerbread Man was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Atlas Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Atlas Publishing.

Editions: 099696794X, 0996967990

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible