Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Uncle Tom's Cabin (original 1852; edition 2006)

by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Member:WantonWonton
Title:Uncle Tom's Cabin
Authors:Harriet Beecher Stowe
Info:Ann Arbor Media (2006), Hardcover, 488 pages

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1852)

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet A. Jacobs (LisaMaria_C)
    LisaMaria_C: This is the slave narrative of Harriet Jacobs and shares with Stowe a Christian sensibility and emphasis on how slavery destroys a slaves moral agency.

English (145)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (157)
I was shocked when I saw how bravely Tom stood up to his 'master' and refused to obey the order to whip his fellow slave, knowing that the price would inevitably be a painful death. I see that the sacrifice is now-a-days considered to be giving in, but in that context, under those circumstances, his only choices were obey or dis-obey, non-violently or make life even worse for the others and himself. Given those realities, he acted heroically, not as we currently use the phrase 'an Uncle Tom.' ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Absolute trite garbage. One of the worst reading experiences I have experienced. This is religious sentimentality in its worst basest most soap-opera form. Pompous and self-aggrandizing. I would NOT recommend it to anyone unless you have to read it for your studies as a mandatory text. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
This American classic talks about one main thing: the evil and immorality of slavery. This was quite a bit more brutal than I had thought, in a good way; I think I had expected a Christian plea for justice, but I got a reasonably true picture of the callousness of some slave owners during the era, and not all Northerners get let off the hook either. It's been referred to as a must-read, and I can only concur.
  -Eva- | Apr 19, 2019 |
1 vote ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
A very interesting and informative description of dark times that most of us might prefer to go through life not 'knowing' but must learn about in detail not in a glossed over history book. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |

Noto Soeroto, TrisnatiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Riel, Ton vanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SaniIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wayboer, Jos.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Late in the afternoon of a chilly day in February, two gentlemen were sitting alone over their wine, in a well-furnished dining-parlor, in the town of P_______, in Kentucky.
"Your heart is better than your head, in this case, John," said the wife, laying her little white hand on his. "Could I ever have loved you, had I not known you better than you know yourself?"
Of course, in a novel, people's hearts break, and they die, and that is the end of it; and in a story this is very convenient. But in real life we do not die when all that makes life bright to us dies to us. There is a most busy and important round of eating, drinking, dressing, walking, visiting, buying, selling, talking, reading, and all that makes up what is commonly called living, yet to be gone through; and this yet remained to Augustine.
"Well," said St. Clare, "suppose that something should bring down the price of cotton once and forever, and make the whole slave property a drug in the market, don't you think we should soon have another version of the Scripture doctrine? What a flood of light would pour into the church, all at once, and how immediately it would be discovered that everything in the Bible and reason went the other way!"
The Young Folks' Edition of Uncle Tom's Cabin has different text and ~92 pages; please do not combine with the main work.

in

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212184, Mass Market Paperback)

Uncle Tom, Topsy, Sambo, Simon Legree, little Eva: their names are American bywords, and all of them are characters in Harriet Beecher Stowe's remarkable novel of the pre-Civil War South. Uncle Tom's Cabin was revolutionary in 1852 for its passionate indictment of slavery and for its presentation of Tom, "a man of humanity," as the first black hero in American fiction. Labeled racist and condescending by some contemporary critics, it remains a shocking, controversial, and powerful work -- exposing the attitudes of white nineteenth-century society toward "the peculiar institution" and documenting, in heartrending detail, the tragic breakup of black Kentucky families "sold down the river." An immediate international sensation, Uncle Tom's Cabin sold 300,000 copies in the first year, was translated into thirty-seven languages, and has never gone out of print: its political impact was immense, its emotional influence immeasurable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

First published 1852

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible