Cam Jansen and The Mystery of the UFO (1980)

by David A. Adler

Other authors: Susanna Natti (Illustrator)

Series: Cam Jansen (2)

Ten-year-old Cam, possessor of a photographic memory, and her friend Eric investigate what seems to be a brief appearance of U.F.O.s.

Fifth-grade sleuth Cam (Jennifer) Jansen and her best friend, Eric Shelton, return in this second beginning chapter-book mystery, this time confronting some mysterious lights over their local park. As everyone around them becomes convinced that it must be UFOs, Cam drags Eric into the park to investigate, and they discover that it is all a prank being played by a young man who is determined to win a photography contest. Fortunately, Cam and Eric are there to foil the plot, and all ends well...

At a slight 58 pages, Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the U.F.O. is a book intended for young people who have graduated from leveled beginning readers and are just getting going with longer chapter-books. Although the two main characters are in fifth grade, I recall reading this series at a younger age, in the third grade or so. Children tend to like to read about characters who are slightly older than they are, I find. This one was originally published in 1980, and there are elements of the story - particularly the almost complete freedom the two main characters are given by their parents - that I think would be unlikely in today's world. Leaving that aside, this is a fun story, and although I thought the narrative developments were anything but surprising, during this adult reread, I recall finding it quite suspenseful as a girl. Recommended to beginning chapter-book readers who enjoy mystery stories. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Aug 14, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book teaches children to investigate to find out what really happened, this could be good for a research project or for writing. I think students will like this book because they will want to know what the UFO is. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 28, 2015 |
This is a story about a girl and her friend who want to win a photography contest and end up getting a picture of a UFO. This book is fun because of her gift to track down and solve thrilling and puzzling mysteries.
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |

David A. Adlerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Natti, SusannaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my brother Eddie. He always made us proud.
One cold November afternoon Cam Jansen and her friend Eric Shelton were walking through town.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible