Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel by…

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Kathleen Rooney (Author)

Member:hstahl
Title:Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel
Authors:Kathleen Rooney (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 304 pages
Collections:New at AFL

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel by Kathleen Rooney

The audio helped me attach to Lillian Boxfish in a way that I didn't when I simply tried to read the book. Now, besides the superb narration, I loved so many things about this story: that it is based on a real woman; that we actually encounter two eras of NYC as Lilian walks through it; that this is NOT a come-of-age NYC story (I am tired of those) but rather it is a grand-dame look back. I love how the 80s came alive, with the presence of so many things I forgot I knew as I lived through them. I loved Lils' particular voice and word choices. I love how she asks everyone she talks to: "What's your name?" And that she uses it and doesn't forget it. This book made me think about me, a professional on the cusp of a big birthday, wondering where I am, with triumphs and failures, fantastic loves and heart-wrenching hurts. This is a story about a woman. Bravo. ( )
  sydsavvy | Sep 5, 2017 |
I have been thinking about this book since I finished it and it keeps resonating. How clever - as we walk each neighborhood with Lillian Boxfish we come to understand each chapter of her life. So well thought out and so well written and so interesting to live inside this character's head and heart. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
A quiet, nice, Sunday afternoon story. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
It seems that I've been reading books lately about which I'm ambivalent. I like them a great deal and yet there's something about them that bothers me, often deeply. I don't know what these things are, I'm certain they're different for each book in this category, but Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk is one of those wonderful, memorable, upsetting stories that remind me that art should ruffle your feathers, not just make you feel happy and comfortable and loved. If you like wit, and grace, and a healthy tot of cynical humor, Lillian is the woman for you. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | Jul 3, 2017 |
Today, Chicago has its own literary flâneuse, Kathleen Rooney. Her new novel, Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, is about an elderly woman who walks from midtown to downtown Manhattan and back on New Year’s Eve, 1984. But Lillian Boxfish isnt just any elderly woman, she’s a fictional version of Margaret Fishback, the real-life female Don Draper of 1940s advertising and an accomplished poet. And Rooney isn’t just any writer: she walks hundreds of miles every year, exploring cities on foot.

The book bounces around the 20th century and tackles themes of work, time, motherhood, and what it means to be truly in love with a city. It’s one of my all-time favorite New York novels, right up there with Winter’s Tale, Invisible Man, and The Golem and the Jinni. I recently spoke with Rooney about walking, writing, Fishback, New York, and Chicago.

Kathleen Rooneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sands, XeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There once was a girl named Phoebe Snow.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kathleen Rooney's book Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,771,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible