Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by…

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey (2007)

by Chuck Palahniuk

English (74)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
E' farsi prendere per mano da una persona in apparenza mite e interessante, e trovarsi di colpo in un delirio pervasivo e illuminante. Poi ti volti indietro, e non ricordi piu' la strada che hai fatto per arrivare fin li'. Sai che il tuo futuro di oggi non sara' piu' uguale al futuro che avevi ieri, e non è solo una citazione. E' oltre. L'immaginazione di P. è oltre ogni ragionevole limite, come la sua bravura e capacità nel redigere un romanzo orale. Ma questo è il meno. P. è un creatore di universi: l'ha gia' fatto con Fight club, con Ninna Nanna, con Survivor. Questo è il suo ultimo universo, ma sembra quasi che ci sia stato e sia tornato indietro, per raccontarcelo cosi' bene - e si parla di scansioni temporali, non [solo] di stati d'animo. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
This is a crazy book. I did not like the style at first. Ever been in a room where multiple people are having different conversations? That was what it seemed. At one point I thought about taking one character, and just flip through the book and read those sections, and then go back and repeat for everyone else.

Eventually I got use to the format, and it became interesting, sort of enjoyable. I am set in my ways though, and don't like unique/creative styles.

I am not clever, and wished things were spelled out a bit more for me. For example, next to each character is a symbol. It is the sun or moon - one representing a "daytimer" the other a "nighttimer." I didn't figure that out until 10 or so pages from the end! I don't think it was spelled out; you had to figure it out.

When the book was over, I felt the same way I did when I finished "The Company of the Dead" by David Kowalski: the book may be better the second time reading. ( )
  mainrun | Oct 27, 2014 |
This book by Chuck was one that many didn't like. I disagree with them all. He brings a new kind of storytelling that had me on the edge of my seat. He also brings more Science Fiction to this story where his other books have been more of a messed up, realistic take on life. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Not loving it right now, but I'm very early in the book. I've started and stopped several times. I really just can't get behind this.
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
Great book. It's confusing and kind of prickly, introduces cartloads of weird but strangely convincing ideas, changes pace and shape at every other corner and turns out to be something completely different from what it seemed to be. I really liked it. It was full of weirdness and urgency, and flashes of slightly manic humour, it pinpointed society issues and pried apart (I want to say dissected) all those nice little pretensions and duct-taped ideas people keep up to keep things tidy and sane. It wasn't a gross-out fest like haunted, nor did it annoy me like Diary; for me it's up there with Lullaby and Fight Club. Highly recommended to everyone who knows what they're getting into with Mr. Palahniuk, and to anyone else who likes reading something a little off from time to time. Also: pay attention. It'll help hugely if you don't want to end up with your brain in a knot. ( )
1 vote tigerbuns | Jan 10, 2014 |
At its best, Palahniuk’s prose has the rat-a-tat immediacy of a bravura spoken word performance. When he misses, which he does often in “Rant,” it’s just overcooked and indulgent.

An altogether more complex novel than that earlier faux-Nietzschean call to arms, this ‘Rant’ is anything but.

His latest novel, Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey, is even more ambitious, but here Palahniuk's swirl of characters and plotlines never gels, and the story lurches dangerously toward incoherence.
added by stephmo | editThe Washington Post, Joe Hill (May 20, 2007)

Reading the latest Chuck Palahniuk novel is an invariably gripping, always disturbing, and -- more and more often -- ultimately disappointing experience.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Kevin O'Kelly (May 16, 2007)

There is no question that Palahniuk is an important writer, with a huge popular following. But as his conceits grow ever more ludicrous, his books become more like art-statements than novels. The plot of Rant is so overheated it approaches self-parody, and occasionally trivialises what are clearly serious concerns.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (May 13, 2007)

Do you ever wish you'd never been born?
For my father, Fred Leander Palahniuk. Look up from the sidewalk. Please.
Like most people, I didn't meet and talk to Rant Casey until after he was dead.

Buster “Rant” Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life. With hilarity, horror, and blazing insight, Rant is a mind-bending vision of the future, as only Chuck Palahniuk could ever imagine.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

Buster "Rant" Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible