Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by…

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey (2007)

by Chuck Palahniuk

English (78)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (81)
2007 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is a strange, strange book. I'm not exactly sure what it's about - You get time travel, Party Crashing (Demo Derby on the streets), "night" and "day" people, and Rabies - all told in a style of people being "interviewed" about the main, character, "Rant".

This is one of those books that I think you will feel strongly about. The writing was spot on - but it is so difficult to figure out what was happening. Also, the dichotomy of the city vs the rural small town was difficult to figure out. Based on the first part of the book, I made the assumption that it was set in the 1960's or 70's. But, the way the city was set up - a bit of dystopian city vibe going, with the residents in the city divided into classes who can only move during night or day, to keep crowds manageable - it was very odd.

The secondary story about Rabies - I really don't get it. Maybe there isn't anything to get. I just don't know. But the book is complete, all is explained, and it ends in a way that makes, sense kind of.

So - Did I like it? I'm not sure. I found it intriguing - but also found it distasteful. A bit uncomfortable. I won't be reading it again - but I will keep an eye out for this author. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jan 2, 2016 |
4.5 stars ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
4.5 stars ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
To be fair, I probably didn't give it much of a chance, which is weird, because I always otherwise eat up Pahlinuk like a starving man with a Saltine. Still, fifteen pages in, I heard my sister's voice in my ear..."why waste time reading something you're not enjoying when there are so many books out there that you COULD get pleasure from?" Maybe I'll come back at it again, when I've run out of books that actually hook me in the first fifteen pages. And oh, I still heart you Chuckie, just so you know. ( )
  laurustina | Jan 14, 2015 |
At its best, Palahniuk’s prose has the rat-a-tat immediacy of a bravura spoken word performance. When he misses, which he does often in “Rant,” it’s just overcooked and indulgent.

An altogether more complex novel than that earlier faux-Nietzschean call to arms, this ‘Rant’ is anything but.

His latest novel, Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey, is even more ambitious, but here Palahniuk's swirl of characters and plotlines never gels, and the story lurches dangerously toward incoherence.
added by stephmo | editThe Washington Post, Joe Hill (May 20, 2007)

Reading the latest Chuck Palahniuk novel is an invariably gripping, always disturbing, and -- more and more often -- ultimately disappointing experience.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Kevin O'Kelly (May 16, 2007)

There is no question that Palahniuk is an important writer, with a huge popular following. But as his conceits grow ever more ludicrous, his books become more like art-statements than novels. The plot of Rant is so overheated it approaches self-parody, and occasionally trivialises what are clearly serious concerns.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (May 13, 2007)

Do you ever wish you'd never been born?
For my father, Fred Leander Palahniuk. Look up from the sidewalk. Please.
Like most people, I didn't meet and talk to Rant Casey until after he was dead.

Buster “Rant” Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life. With hilarity, horror, and blazing insight, Rant is a mind-bending vision of the future, as only Chuck Palahniuk could ever imagine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:04 -0400)

Buster "Rant" Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible