Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by…

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey (2007)

by Chuck Palahniuk

3,533None1,492 (3.68)78
2007 (17) 2008 (9) 21st century (13) American (27) American literature (13) cars (11) Chuck Palahniuk (16) contemporary fiction (13) dark (10) dark humor (15) dystopia (22) ebook (16) fiction (305) first edition (16) humor (15) literature (11) novel (41) oral biography (10) oral history (14) own (14) palahniuk (13) rabies (58) read (44) satire (13) science fiction (51) signed (21) thriller (9) time travel (68) to-read (31) unread (25)

English (71)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (74)
Not loving it right now, but I'm very early in the book. I've started and stopped several times. I really just can't get behind this.
  thebradking | Feb 22, 2014 |
Great book. It's confusing and kind of prickly, introduces cartloads of weird but strangely convincing ideas, changes pace and shape at every other corner and turns out to be something completely different from what it seemed to be. I really liked it. It was full of weirdness and urgency, and flashes of slightly manic humour, it pinpointed society issues and pried apart (I want to say dissected) all those nice little pretensions and duct-taped ideas people keep up to keep things tidy and sane. It wasn't a gross-out fest like haunted, nor did it annoy me like Diary; for me it's up there with Lullaby and Fight Club. Highly recommended to everyone who knows what they're getting into with Mr. Palahniuk, and to anyone else who likes reading something a little off from time to time. Also: pay attention. It'll help hugely if you don't want to end up with your brain in a knot. ( )
1 vote tigerbuns | Jan 10, 2014 |
I LOVE the way [author: Chuck Palhaniuk] writes! Rant chronicles the life of a rabid boy spreading disease and mystery. Totally off-beat and weird and everything I love! I listened to this one on audio, which I think is the way to go. It helps you kind of keep all the characters straight. Well, sort of... ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
This book. This book. This book. Unique would not even begin to cover how this book should be described. This book made me question life and want to be a party crasher. ( )
  Laurakeggg | Jul 30, 2013 |
I have read several of Chuck PPalahniuk's books, and found them all to be unique in their own right. "Rant," is no different. This is a story of a typical bizarre Palahniuk character, told in the form of an oral history. Palahniuk explains at the beginning that due to the nature of the fact that the story is told by a dozen or so people who either knew or knew of Buster Casey, the facts and chronology might not always align. This book took a little bit of dedication to get into but once I was into it I was hooked. Perhaps not as violent or gory as many of Palahniuk's books, it is nonetheless as captivating in its bizarreness. ( )
1 vote zenhead | Jun 23, 2013 |
At its best, Palahniuk’s prose has the rat-a-tat immediacy of a bravura spoken word performance. When he misses, which he does often in “Rant,” it’s just overcooked and indulgent.

An altogether more complex novel than that earlier faux-Nietzschean call to arms, this ‘Rant’ is anything but.

His latest novel, Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey, is even more ambitious, but here Palahniuk's swirl of characters and plotlines never gels, and the story lurches dangerously toward incoherence.
added by stephmo | editThe Washington Post, Joe Hill (May 20, 2007)

Reading the latest Chuck Palahniuk novel is an invariably gripping, always disturbing, and -- more and more often -- ultimately disappointing experience.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Kevin O'Kelly (May 16, 2007)

There is no question that Palahniuk is an important writer, with a huge popular following. But as his conceits grow ever more ludicrous, his books become more like art-statements than novels. The plot of Rant is so overheated it approaches self-parody, and occasionally trivialises what are clearly serious concerns.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (May 13, 2007)

Do you ever wish you'd never been born?
For my father, Fred Leander Palahniuk. Look up from the sidewalk. Please.
Like most people, I didn't meet and talk to Rant Casey until after he was dead.

Buster “Rant” Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life. With hilarity, horror, and blazing insight, Rant is a mind-bending vision of the future, as only Chuck Palahniuk could ever imagine.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:21 -0400)

Buster "Rant" Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,441,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible