Dayworld by Philip José Farmer

Dayworld (1985)

by Philip José Farmer

Series: Dayworld (1)

The premise of this book is that there are so many people living on Earth that everyone only gets one day a week. The rest of the time they are frozen solid and someone else lives in their apartment and works their job. However, some people are Daybreakers which means they assume 7 different identities and stay unfrozen. Great writing to support a great idea. ( )
  gypsysmom | Aug 16, 2017 |
I love the premise, but I found myself struggling to read it sometimes. A couple of the days felt throwaway in there lack of details. I plan to read more of the series, and hope they can kick up a gear. ( )
  PaulBaldowski | Jan 24, 2015 |
In this future world, everyone lives on one day. Some people live on Monday, some live on Tuesday, etc. They are “stoned” or put into a type of hibernation that makes their bodies stiff and impervious to harm during the rest of the week. Caird doesn’t live on only one day; he lives seven different lives on seven different days. He is an immer, the children of Immerson, a group that hopes to take over the present government.

This new way of living makes life seem like a utopia with no over- crowding or pollution. The government takes care of everything; food, clothing, housing, just as long as you comply with the laws. Everyone is stoned at the same time each night and revived at the same time each day. Each person has been conditioned against violence and slovenly behavior. Everyone looks alike: tall, thin, healthy, dark skinned. Each day has its own culture and fashion. Religions are aloud as long as they don’t state they are the only true belief system. The scary part is that the government has such firm control over its people and everyone is accustomed to accepting everything the government does or says. The rulers can stone a person and put them out of the way forever if they become a problem.

This is an intelligent science fiction novel with spy thriller elements. Caird isn’t just threatened by the authorities; a homicidal maniac has targeted him and his wives in each day. The author muses on the freedoms of individuals. One daybreaker that appears throughout the book, but never is found by the organics, the name used for police, is an orthodox Jew named Gril. When Caird finally asks him why he has become a daybreaker he states that the laws of God out way the laws of the ruling government.

I enjoyed reading this novel and will be on the lookout for more installments in the Dayworld series. ( )
  craso | Dec 8, 2012 |
Today won't miss her. They'll think she's off on her own chase, if they think about her at all. Castor's kept them pretty busy. And what happens tomorrow? Will Snick appear at organics HQ with her visa and her orders from Sunday? No, she won't. So how will Friday know that she's supposed to appear? It won't, and the following days won't know about her, either. Nobody will know that she's missing until Sunday comes and she doesn't report to her superiors. Sunday can do nothing about it except to leave inquiries for the following days. When Sunday comes again, it will get the news that Snick disappeared on Thursday.

In a future where everyone is awake 1 day out of 7 and in suspended animation for the other 6 days, a few people illegally avoid suspended animation and live a different life on each day of the week. The original Tuesday identity of this novel's hero is Jeff Cairns, an organic (police officer), while on the other days he has different names, careers and even families. Everything is going smoothly until an insane man with a grudge against him becomes a daybreaker in his attempts to kill Jeff, which threatens to bring Jeff's illegal activities to the attention of the authorities.

I read and enjoyed this book a long time ago, so I was very happy when I found a copy for 50p in a charity shop. ( )
  isabelx | Apr 23, 2011 |
It’s an average book. The plot is decently well placed. I had a hard time getting into caring for Caird because of the multiple personality thing. Partially because each personality was so different and so I never had the requisite ink to care for them. Partially because each personality was so different and violated common sense in that he subsumed the others so totally he couldn’t remember other days. And partially because toward the end of the book he becomes a complete multiple personality disorder nutcase, with his personalities fragmenting and talking to each other in his head.

(Full review at my blog) ( )
  KingRat | Jun 16, 2008 |

Farmer, Philip Joséprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leal, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Punchatz, Don IvanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Straßl, LoreTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my latest grandchild, Thomas Jose Josephsohn, born March 25, 1983. May he live to be old and be always as bright, friendly, outgoing, cheeful, curious, and healthy as he is now.
When the hounds bay, the fox and the hare are brothers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,740,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible