The Jekyll Revelation by Robert Masello

The Jekyll Revelation (edition 2016)

by Robert Masello (Author)

Member:auntmarge64
Title:The Jekyll Revelation
Authors:Robert Masello (Author)
Info:47North (2016), 492 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read but unowned, Reviewed
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, suspense

The Jekyll Revelation by Robert Masello

I really enjoyed the way historical facts were entwined with fiction in this book. Famous historical names made it more interesting. The story from the present balanced out the story set in the past. Well written book. ( )
  scot2 | Aug 23, 2018 |
I was chosen by Netgalley to receive an advanced reader copy of “The Jekyll Revelation” by Robert Masello. Given that fact, it has not altered my opinion on the book at all. “The Jekyll Revelation” has a scheduled release date of November 8th 2016.

Who doesn’t love a good Jekyll and Hyde story? Being a 90’s kid, immediately I was reminiscent of the Pagemaster in all it’s cartoon glory. I was not expecting this book to be cartoony in the least, but between the title, and my love for a good retelling is what lead me to request a copy.

“The Jekyll Revelation” starts like any typical historical fiction; in the past. It seems as though Robert Louis Stevenson, author of “Treasure Island” and “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, has unwillingly stumbled upon an incident he presumed he left back in London.

The reader switches perspectives between Stevenson, and Rafael Salazar; an environmental scientist in the state of California. Masello draws the reader in within the first chapter, and quickly leaves you wanting more as the perspectives change. At first it is unclear what role the past has on the present, but the mystery unravels itself with each turn of the page.

For the complete review, please visit:

https://quitterstrip.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/if-you-have-it-within-your-power-to-summon-the-devil/ ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I quite enjoyed this novel. I loved that the story had dual perspectives and shifted back and forth in time. I was engrossed in the details and the insane (yet weirdly plausible) story plot and could feel my heart racing as it became more and more shocking. While I loved the way the author wrote this story, I will admit that I preferred the past to the present. It was just so much more thrilling and intriguing to the point where the present seemed a little lackluster in comparison. I wish there had been a bit more to the events taking place in modern day as it was all a bit anticlimactic. However, it was in general a very good novel and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a horror story with a historical background. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
The tantalizing cover and the intriguing blurb made me interested in the book. The identity of Jack the Ripper is a subject I find fascinating and I was curious how Robert Louis Stevenson would fit into this story. This book has two storylines and in the present storyline are we introduced to Rafael Salazar who is an environmental scientist. He discovers in an old truck a journal that turns out to be written by no other than Robert Louis Stevenson and the present storylines alternate with the journal entries.

I found the intro of this book promising with Robert Louis Stevenson trying to find if not a cure something that would make him better since he had been suffering from bad health since he was a child. And, it's now he meets a doctor that will change his entire life. In the present time, Rafael Salazar is studying coyotes in Topanga Canyon when he and his trainee Heidi stumbles on the trunk with the diary. But, the trunk also has a flask containing a portion that would be best to leave alone.

As much as I enjoyed the beginning of the book did it come a time after I read little over half the book when I found myself questioning whether I should continue reading or not. The story started to become a bit dull, and I found myself not enjoying either storyline. However, I did not give up and the story picked up. Well, at least the journal entries got better, I still did not find the present storylines that interesting with Rafe having trouble with his sister Lucy, the meth heads and his puppy love for Miranda. And, as I came to think of now when I'm writing the review, Heidi who was with him when he found the trunk and later on when they almost died in a car crash just disappeared from the story. And, that was just too bad because I liked her. I can't say that Rafe and Miranda interested me that much, but for the story to take the obvious direction was it necessary. And, here we have the big problem for me with this book. It was too often pretty obvious what would happen, no twist to the story that astonished me. Although the ending, the last entry in the journal both solved a question that I had back in my mind and was an interesting turn of event.

Still, I'm glad to have read the book. It may have had some weak moments in the middle of the book, but the story picked up towards the end of the book even Rafe started to interest me a bit more than when he was having trouble with the meth heads and Miranda's boyfriend Laszlo.

I want to thank 47North & Little Bird for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Did you know the first Jack the Ripper murder occurred on the London opening night of the stage play of Robert Louis Stevenson’s “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”? Did you that Stevenson was himself questioned in the case because of his writing about Mr. Hyde? Masello takes historical persons and adds his own fictional characters to create an imaginative novel that spans the years and connects the London streets of long ago to the canyons of modern California. Just as in his “The Einstein Prophecy” real people turn into characters in his book and real events become the framework for an amazing story. The story alternates excerpts from Stevenson’s diary that is paired with a narrative from today’s world about a young environmental scientist. How are these connected? That is the question that keeps the pages turning; and the juxtaposition of the two stories creates a compelling read. Add to that wonderful characterizations and it becomes a page turner that is hard to put down! The only critique I have of the book was the ending to the modern story – the story ending to Stevenson’s part is fantastic!! – I felt like there wasn’t enough closure for the main character, Rafe, and his future. It isn’t a bad ending, I would have just preferred something more. Other than that, an excellent book! This is my second book by Masello and it certainly won’t be my last! ( )
  Al-G | Nov 1, 2017 |
26 November, 1894
From: Robert Louis Stevenson, Vailima House, Samoa
To: W. E. Henley, 18 Maybury Road, Old Woking, Surrey, England

Dear Henley--
What I must tell you now, I tell you with dread.

While on routine patrol in the tinder-dry Topanga Canyon, environmental scientist Rafael Salazar expects to find animal poachers, not a dilapidated antique steamer trunk. Inside the peculiar case, he discovers a journal, written by the renowned Robert Louis Stevenson, which divulges ominous particulars about his creation of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde . It also promises to reveal a terrible secret--the identity of Jack the Ripper. Unfortunately, the journal--whose macabre tale unfolds in an alternating narrative with Rafe's--isn't the only relic in the trunk, and Rafe isn't the only one to purloin a souvenir. A mysterious flask containing the last drops of the grisly potion that inspired Jekyll and Hyde and spawned London's most infamous killer has gone missing. And it has definitely fallen into the wrong hands.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible