Horizon (Horizon, Book 1) by Scott…

Horizon (Horizon, Book 1)

by Scott Westerfeld

This is a quick reading page turner that has an interesting plot. The characters are not quite as well developed as I would like but I am not really the target demographic - it was written for young adults, and deeper character development would have made a longer book. But I would have liked to have more. Now, having said that, it is the first book in a series (seven total I believe) so we may get more as the series progresses. Interestingly book 2 has a different author. I am wondering if each book will have a different author or how this moves forward. The plot was interesting enough, with enough action, to keep you reading. It is a serialized ending and I will likely read at least one more installment to see where this is all going. The book features several young people who survive a plane crash in the Arctic. The only problem is the plane comes down in the jungle. And what brought the plane down? Was it a freak accident or an alien entity? Who carved this jungle out of the Arctic tundra and who maintains it? Or are they even still on earth - have they been transported somewhere else and is that what caused the crash? Some of these questions will find answers in book one, but... Stay tuned for more in volume 2. Definitely worth the time to read. ( )
  Al-G | Oct 12, 2017 |
This is a middle-grade Lost. I enjoyed it, but I did not realize it was one of Scholastic's multi-author megaseries until I finished it. ( )
  adamwolf | Aug 29, 2017 |
This was an okay, but forgettable read and it certainly wasn't one of Westerfeld's better books. Even though I liked the multi-cultural diversity of the characters, they were rather clique and I felt that the plot was too far-fetched.

"Horizon" felt like the start of a long, drawn-out series, but I wasn't invested enough to go looking for the sequels. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jun 23, 2017 |
OMG. How does Scott Westerfeld keep coming up with his ideas? In this book, a plane flying near the Arctic is hit by turbulence and a weird light. It crashes and everyone on board except young people with superior intelligence are spared and wake up in a tropical world filled with strange creatures. (Bit like the series LOST which started off so well and then ended in the crapper!)
A group of kids who were meant to compete in an International Tournament of the Minds thing are spared - all engineering types. A boy who is half Japanese and half Australian who stole his father's ancient Samurai sword is spared and so are some others.
First in trilogy. ( )
  nicsreads | Jun 3, 2017 |

This harrowing tale of supernatural suspense kicks off a new series from the visionary mind of #1 New York Times bestselling author Scott Westerfeld.

When a plane crash-lands in the arctic, eight young survivors step from the wreckage expecting to see nothing but ice and snow. Instead they find themselves lost in a strange jungle with no way to get home and little hope of rescue.

Food is running out. Water is scarce. And the jungle is full of threats unlike anything the survivors have ever seen before -- from razor-beaked shredder birds to carnivorous vines and much, much worse.

With danger at every turn, these eight kids must learn to work together to survive. But cliques and rivalries threaten to tear them apart. And not everyone will make it out of the jungle alive.

BONUS! In the Horizon multiplatform experience, you're not just reading about the castaways, you're one of them. Join the race for survival in the FREE game, available on your browser and as an app.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 11 Sep 2016 13:59:52 -0400)

When Aero Horizon 16 crashes in the Arctic, eight children emerge from the wreckage to find themselves alone and surrounded, not by ice, but by a mysterious and deadly jungle full of carnivorous plants and predatory birds--the other five hundred people from the plane are gone, not necessarily dead, but taken by something that lives in the jungle.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible