Manga Classics: Sense and Sensibility by…

Manga Classics: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

by Stacy King

Other authors: Po Tse (Illustrator)

Series: Manga Classics

This is a manga version of Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen. The overall effect has been emotionally amped up and is overflowing with angst to compensate for the lack of Austen's beautiful prose.

The characters all seemed to be unrecognizable from how they were in the original version, often acting out of character. Sometimes they all seemed like slightly different shades of the same single character, 'woman'.

I have also read the manga versions of Jane Austen's Emma and Pride and Prejudice, and those had similar issues. Subtlety might be impossible to portray in manga conversions.

**eARC Netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
I got this copy from Udon Entertainment on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I started reading the original Sense and Sensibility and I could not get myself to read it. I barely read 3 pages so when I found this one on NetGalley I thought it might help me but it didn't.
I know this is different than the original novel in some ways but I really don't like the plot. There was too much crying and too much drama.
I should make a drinking game based on it. Every time you see a tear, take a shot.
I don't see any creativity in it either. The drama that one of the sisters had to go through just repeated in the other sister's case... except one of them actually got married to the guy that they fell in love with first. Congrats Elinor.
The art was not wow. It's a basic manga art. It's not very good but it had its details that I liked.

Thinking that I have one or two more of these to read is not super pleasing. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
Sisters Elinor and Marianne Dashwood find love and heartache after the death of their father leads them to have to rely on the kindness of family members for their living situation.

I've never really been a manga fan but being as they are wildly popular and because I love Jane Austen so much, I figured I'd give mangas another try with this adaptation of Austen's classic novel. King does a good job of condensing the original novel a bit and fitting it into the manga format.

While the illustration style isn't one I generally like, it surprisingly works pretty well for the most part. I do love when Tse adds in whimsical motifs to represent love or when he uses foregrounding and shading to represent past events being recalled by characters in the present moment. However, the manga tendency to make characters' emotional reactions over the top means this Elinor isn't as reserved as the character is in the original text.

Still, all in all, this was a solid adaptation that was entertaining to read, even though there are no major changes (or perhaps because there are no major changes). Back matter explains the adaptation process, the illustration choices, and contextual details about Regency England (e.g., why it was improper for Marianne to write letters to a man she wasn't engaged to formally). This is last bit is especially helpful for teens (the target audience for this manga) who may not be super familiar with the historical backdrop for this novel. Also worth noting that the book begins with a helpful primer on how to read manga for those are not familiar with the format. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 27, 2017 |
This was, I believe, Austen's first novel and the one that I like the best even though I'm not fond of her as an author much. This story is much, much better than Pride and Prejudice. The characters are more realistic. The younger sister is a swooner and drama queen but the heroine, the eldest sister, Elinor is, as the title implies, sensible. She does get her heart broken but in the end, the lovers who spurned them end up unhappy and they find true loves equal to their personalities. While I'm not fond of Austen's work, I read the original when I was 12/13, they do make for great shojo stories with all the dramatic hate/love relationships and the manga art-style fits perfectly. A very good adaptation which while not developing character fully does stick with the plot very well. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 25, 2016 |
I love most of Jane Austen's novels, but Sense and Sensibility has always been my favorite. So when I saw that there was a Manga Classics version, I had to get my hands on it. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the classic adaptations from this series, but I was a little nervous (high expectations for this one).
I was not disappointed! The artwork is terrific and expresses so much emotion and tone. The story follows the general storyline of the original work and it was great to see a different type of retelling. The best part - my favorite character (who was once portrayed by one of my favorite actors, Alan Rickman) is illustrated just like I pictured him for Manga. A+ to the illustrator. A great book for younger readers and fans of adaptations.
I also learned from this one that there is a Manga Classics version of The Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favorite authors of all time)! I look forward to continuing this series.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Oct 2, 2016 |

King, Stacyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tse, PoIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

When Elinor Dashwood's father dies, her family's finances are crippled. After the Dashwoods move to a cottage in Devonshire, Elinor's sister Marianne is torn between the handsome John Willoughby and the older Colonel Brandon. Meanwhile, Elinor's romantic hopes with Edward Ferrars are hindered due to his prior engagement. Both Elinor and Marianne strive for love while the circumstances in their lives constantly change.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,916,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible