A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived:…

A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Human Story Retold Through… (2016)

by Adam Rutherford

Although I had read controversial reviews of this book, I quite enjoyed it.

Ruterford tries to explain genetics and the history of the human race in layman's terms, which I greatly appreciated. Though, I am not sure all facts presented are scientifically sound (this is why I am giving this book only 3 stars - I'm just not sure whether all truths presented are indeed truths). I am not a geneticist but work with students in that field and hence this book will certainly be discussed in class.

This review is based on a NetGalley ARC (for the North American edition) provided by the publishers in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
This was an overview of human ancestry and genetics by a British scientist currently doing work in that discipline. Interesting, understandable, and readable. I enjoyed it.
  benjfrank | Sep 11, 2018 |
Test review
  ccatalfo | Aug 14, 2018 |
I expected to like this more than I did. From the title, it seemed to be a good choice since I enjoyed both Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and The Gene: An Intimate History. The first part of the book, which covered the history of humans from earlier species up into the eighteenth century, did live up to my expectations but the second part was a disappointment. That part was about who we are today and what the study of DNA tells us about ourselves. Maybe it mixed in too much sociology and psychology or maybe it just covered ground faster than I could follow. I do know some of my problem with this part of the book had to do with the author inserting his own slant into it, such as his rant against creationism. I suspect those of us who made it that far into the book were already on the same page, so to speak, so it just seemed unnecessary. This is just my opinion but the second part would have been much better with tighter editing. ( )
  wandaly | Mar 30, 2018 |

Rutherford, Adamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Garceau, PeteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mukherjee, SiddharthaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In our unique genomes, every one of us carries the story of our species--births, deaths, disease, war, famine, migration, and a lot of sex. But those stories have always been locked away--until now. Who are our ancestors? Where did they come from? Geneticists have suddenly become historians, and the hard evidence in our DNA has blown the lid off what we thought we knew. Acclaimed science writer Adam Rutherford explains exactly how genomics is completely rewriting the human story--from 100,000 years ago to the present. A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived will upend your thinking on Neanderthals, evolution, royalty, race, and even redheads. (For example, we now know that at least four human species once roamed the earth.) Plus, here is the remarkable, controversial story of how our genes made their way to the Americas--one that's still being written, as ever more of us have our DNA sequenced. Rutherford closes with "A Short Introduction to the Future of Humankind," filled with provocative questions that we're on the cusp of answering: Are we still in the grasp of natural selection? Are we evolving for better or worse? And . . . where do we go from here?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,653,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible