Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan…

Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day

by Seanan McGuire

1991785,115 (3.94)23

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
In Dusk or Dawn or Dark or Day, the novel with a long but interesting title, Jenna is a ghost living in New York. She works as a suicide counselor and a barista. Originally from Kentucky, she spends her time helping others in order to take away their time and reduce the amount of time to her dying day, the amount of time before she was meant to die. It’s all a bit confusing, to be honest. When ghosts in New York City begin to disappear, she gets in the middle of a plot involving witches entrapping ghosts, which leads her back to her old home when she had been living.

The story is interesting and well-written. I found Jenna to be a well-developed character. My biggest issue was that there were way too many rules, and I found it hard to follow. Somehow, ghosts have substance and can be among the living and hold jobs (I’m not exactly sure how that makes them ghosts). They have to take time from the living, which means giving them additional time to live? I still don’t fully understand all of the rules, and the bottom line is that it detracted from the story. I think this story would have been better served to not get bogged down with all of this complex system of rules, and tell the story, which often times got lost in the shuffle. The other thing was I thought the climax could have used a bit more punch. It came and went and lacked a big bang that I was hoping for. I don’t want to get too down on the story. There was a lot to like within it, and ultimately I would recommend reading it.

Carl Alves - author of Battle of the Soul ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 6, 2018 |
Wonder making ghost stories. Novella, but very strong. Perfect length. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Jul 1, 2018 |
When her sister Patty dies an unnatural death, Jenna is at a total loss and feels so responsible for what happened that she runs into the woods and ends up losing her own life. But instead of joining Patty in the afterworld, Jenna is stuck between the here and there and remains on earth as a ghost; watching her parents grieve over their children’s deaths before eventually moving to New York. There, she hopes to understand what caused her sister’s depression and resulting suicide, only to feel more and more guilty. Jenna chooses to punish herself for Patty’s death by not allowing herself to move on into the afterlife until she actually earned her place there. However, a ghost-hunting witch makes it difficult for her to follow that plan.

When I bought this novella, all I knew was what was written on the dust jacket and that was not much. I did not expect this story to be as fantastical as is was and had I known what was waiting for me, I wouldn’t have picked it up as I’m not very into fantasy. I was also not a big fan of the world McGuire built since I found the rules and laws of the ghost world she created hard to understand and difficult to follow. Her concept of how ghosts control time and aging as well as how they are anchored to certain locations was confusing at times and not always clearly explained which made me want to put the book down multiple times. Only the fact that it has just over 180 pages and was beautifully written made me not DNF it. ( )
  mandkrue86 | Jun 26, 2018 |
I bought this book with exactly zero idea of what it was about. Seriously. It was on Book Outlet and it had Seanan’s name on it, so I added it to my cart without even reading the blurb. I’m not the least bit disappointed.

I came into this read, let’s call it D4, a day after finishing Into the Drowning Deep. If I didn’t know who it was by, I almost wouldn’t know it was by the same author. The almost is key. While D4 is an urban fantasy or paranormal fantasy and Drowning Deep is definitely oceanic horror (is that a genre? It should be.), they have a similar voice (which I think is different than tone – don’t @ me), especially in the way the characters are written.

A novella about life after life was just what I needed after the creepies of Drowning Deep. D4 delivers ghosts with a twist. In this world, everyone has a set amount of time in life. If you should happen to die before your time, you remain a ghost, living out your afterlife however you can manage. In order to complete your ghostly sentence, you must take time from the living. It will bring you closer to your death day, if you will, and gives the living a refreshing boost, knocking them farther away from their own death day.

Witches in this world can trap and manipulate ghosts, essentially granting themselves immortality. Jenna, in her time in NYC, has formed an uneasy acquaintance with a local witch while she serves out her sentence. In a short amount of time, Seanan develops the two characters and their tenuous relationship and she left me wanting more.

D4 gave me some excellent Dead Like Me vibes and I know this is marketed as a stand-alone, but I hope there’s more to come from this universe. I enjoyed the dynamic between witches and ghosts. If you’re looking for a quick paranormal read in a modern setting, give this a whirl! ( )
  MillieHennessy | Apr 15, 2018 |
This was a great novella. The writing was superb, I loved the world and the descriptions of everything. I loved how well thought out the world of being a ghost was. It was super interesting and I wanted to keep reading. The plot moved along well, it was paced beautifully, I never felt like it was rushed or too slow. The characters - Jenna, Delia, & Brenda were so well done. I really enjoyed getting to know Jenna. I liked her voice, and how we got to see character development for her in such a short amount of pages. I hope Seanan McGuire writes another story in this world. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stafford-HIll, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has been tempted to go, and has found the strength to stay. I will see you all tomorrow.
The wind howls, the rain comes down in sheets, and Patty is still dead.

When her sister Patty died, Jenna blamed herself. When Jenna died, she blamed herself for that, too. Unfortunately Jenna died too soon. Living or dead, every soul is promised a certain amount of time, and when Jenna passed she found a heavy debt of time in her record. Unwilling to simply steal that time from the living, Jenna earns every day she leeches with volunteer work at a suicide prevention hotline. But something has come for the ghosts of New York, something beyond reason, beyond death, beyond hope; something that can bind ghosts to mirrors and make them do its bidding. Only Jenna stands in its way.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,233,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible