Audubon, On The Wings Of The World by Fabien…

Audubon, On The Wings Of The World (2016)

by Fabien Grolleau

This beautifully illustrated book covers the life of John James Audubon and his life pursuit of cataloguing the birds of America. His adventuresome spirit and single-mindedness may have made him a poor businessman but certainly contributed to him completing his life’s work and then continuing to go on further expeditions. One can’t help but feel sorry for his family, as they stayed at home while he travelled, wondering if and when they would ever see him again. I would recommend this to the many members of our local Audubon Society as well as anyone interested in early American scientific discoveries or those interesting in bird-watching. ( )
  Jessiqa | Oct 3, 2017 |
Yes, I love birds and the great outdoors, but I knew very little of John James Audubon. This turned out to be a perfect introduction. In the early 19th century, Audubon began to comb the American wilderness, in search of birds, which he meticulously documented. An artist and adventurer, who firmly placed nature, above everything else, sadly, to the detriment of his family.
His meeting with Darwin, during a visit to England is priceless. This is a beautifully illustrated volume, that I can not recommend high enough.

**warning- Audubon shot birds on a regular basis, to use as specimens and models. It seems this was a very common practice during this time, but it is not always easy to swallow with our more modern sensibilities. ( )
  msf59 | Jun 13, 2017 |
"Canada Geese—"

At the start of the 19th century, John James Audubon embarked upon an epic ornithological quest across America with nothing but his artist's materials, an assistant and a gun. Driving him on through terrible storms, encounters with ferocious bears and dangerous people, Audubon's all-consuming passion for birds came to define his entire life - but what would the world make of his expressive and distinctly unscientific illustrations upon return?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,334,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible