The Art of Being Free: How Alexis de…

by James Poulos (Author)

1411,032,744 (3)None
"Most folks probably don't learn about Alexis de Tocqueville in school anymore, but his seminal work, Democracy in America, is still surprisingly resonant. When he came to America in 1831 to study our great political experiment, he reported that the main issues were: religion, money, sex, death, love, gender inequality, work and politics. Clearly, we haven't come as far as one might hope. But it wasn't all doom and gloom. De Tocqueville not only cataloged our problems; he also provided a manual on how to solve them. In The Art of Being Free, journalist and scholar James Poulos parses de Tocqueville's advice for a modern audience, showing us how to live a sane, healthy, and happy life, regardless of the hectic world around us. Poulos dives into the original, beloved text to see what Tocqueville would say about our relationship to technology; our methods for coping with stress; our obsession with appearances; our workaholism; and our physical indolence. He explores how our uniquely American malaise might be alleviated, not by the next wellness or self-help craze, but by the kind of inner inventory-taking that has fallen out of fashion. Like Sarah Bakewell's How to Live or Alain de Botton's How Proust Can Change Your Life, The Art of Being Free offers a vital new twist on a collection of timeless wisdom--for Americans of all ages"--… (more)
Member:NeoWayland
Title:The Art of Being Free: How Alexis de Tocqueville Can Save Us from Ourselves
Authors:James Poulos (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), 303 pages

The Art of Being Free: How Alexis de Tocqueville Can Save Us from Ourselves by James Poulos

Author Poulos uses example for the current culture compared to political equivalents from Alexis de Tocqueville’s reflections on American society in the later 1800s. There are seven categories, change, faith, money, play, sex, death, and love. Discussion runs the gambit from philosophy to current affairs to entertainment as a mirror of society. He uses examples from movies, television, and literature to support his thesis rather than facts taken from headline news. Footnotes, endnotes and an index are included.

Goodreads Giveaway randomly chose me to receive this book free from the publisher. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Feb 19, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible