The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Warlord of Mars (original 1919; edition 2009)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Barsoom (3)

Title:The Warlord of Mars
Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Info:BookSurge Classics (2009), Paperback, 238 pages
Collections:Fiction/Literature/Plays/Essays, Read but unowned
Tags:Science Fiction

The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1919)

English (20)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (21)
This is NOT really book 3, it's the end of book 2 & a fine way to wrap it up, too. There aren't any surprises, but it is a lot of fun. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
A very servicable pulp adventure story to while away my long bus journey. The story is dated, fairly simple, and tropetastic - John Carter need only enter another new hostile country, when he will inevitably meet and rescue a heroic warrior who is unlike the rest of his people, and immediately becomes his friend and loyal follower, allowing Carter to overthrow the established order and install his new right-thinking friend as leader. The same tricks, ideas and errors crop up, women are largely irrelevant except as motivation, and the ecosystem consists entirely of large and terrible predators.

Despite all this, it's actually quite fun if you're able to shrug off those things, or indeed appreciate them. The predictable outlines of the plot and the simplicity of the characters make it an easy and undemanding read. Seeing our heroes be valiant and defeat impossible odds is fun, even though their love of violence is rather deplorable - between the violent age and background from which Carter comes, and the savagery of Barsoom, it's much easier to justify that.

It's not a particularly clever or enlightening book, and won't be to everyone's tastes, but it's a decent example of its type and achieves what it sets out to do - page-turning adventure. ( )
1 vote Shimmin | May 18, 2014 |
His best one. With Princess, he is still trying to control his narrative, but Warlord is Burroughs at his best. ( )
  DougGoodman | May 16, 2014 |
I thought that this book was just exhausting. I'm tired of John Carter being pompous, racist, sexist, dim, self righteous, egocentric, and war hungry. I'm tired of spending book after book starting war after war over Dejah Thoris who has fallen into the 'damsel in distress' ditch. I'm tired of knowing ten pages before John Carter what is about to happen/his mistake/the solution to a problem. If you can get past all of that, there is a chance you will enjoy, now that Carter has civilized the Black men, conquering yet another race, I mean group of enemies. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bolen, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Copeland, Thomas A.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Killavey, JimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
St. John, James AllenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the shadows of the forest that flanks the crimson plain by the side of the Lost Sea of Korus in the Valley Dor, beneath the hurtling moons of Mars, speeding their meteoric way close above the bosom of the dying planet, I crept stealthily along the trail of a shadowy form that hugged the darker places with a persistency that proclaimed the sinister nature of its errand.

Out of the Martian Jungle

Imagine, if you can, a bald-faced hornet of your Earthly experience grown to the size of a prize Hereford bull, and you will have some faint conception of the winged monster that bored down upon me.
Frightful jaws in front and a mighty, poisoned sting behind made my relatively puny long-sword seem a pitiful defense indeed. Nor could I hope to escape the lightning-live movements or hide from those myriad facet eyes which covered three-fourths of the hideous head, permitting the creature to see in all directions at once.
To flee was useless, even if it had ever been to my liking to turn my back upon a danger; so I stood my ground, my only hope to die as I had always lived - fighting.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345324536, Mass Market Paperback)

Far to the north, in the frozen wastes of Polar Mars, lay the home of the Holy Therns, sacred and inviolate. Only John Carter dared to go there to find his lost Dejah Thoris. But between him and his goal lay the bones of all who had gone before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

The Gods of Mars ended on a cliffhanger, with John Carter's beloved wife, Dejah Thoris, and her former slave Thuvia caught in the clutches of the evil queen Issus. In order to free them, Carter journeys to the frozen wastelands of northern Mars, where new dangers and horrifying creatures confront him. Can Carter overcome the obstacles to rescue the woman he loves…and finally become the Warlord of Mars?… (more)

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100224, 1400109310, 145260827X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,902,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible