The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Warlord of Mars (original 1919; edition 2009)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Info:BookSurge Classics (2009), Paperback, 238 pages
Collections:Fiction/Literature/Plays/Essays, Read but unowned
Tags:Science Fiction

The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1919)

English (18)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (19)
Really good stuff. ( )
  jmcalli | Feb 6, 2014 |
Part 3 of the first trilogy of Barsoom has - in my opinion - the same quality as part 1. I enjoyed this book very much. It completes the former two books into an end. I will in some time continue the series. ( )
  ReneH | Sep 26, 2013 |
Picks up from where book two ended, and the action was non-stop, much like a Bourne movie. As good as I remembered from my youth. ( )
  paulrharvey3 | Jun 24, 2013 |
It had to happen. This is just as much two-fisted John Carter fun as the previous books, but I'm quite over Dejah In Distress. She doesn't even get any lines. Well, some lines. I spent quite a bit of time imaging a book that was all about Phaidon, Dejah Thoris and Thuvia having shenanigans. There was still fun to be had.

I have a question, though. How do you think John Carter disguised the colour of his pubic hair whenever he was 'in disguise' as a Thern in the previous book? And how did they colour his genitals? Seriously? These people don't wear clothes unless they are outside at the North pole of Mars. Is there not significant scholarship on this topic? ( )
  veracite | Apr 7, 2013 |

veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |

Edgar Rice Burroughsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Copeland, Thomas A.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the shadows of the forest that flanks the crimson plain by the side of the Lost Sea of Korus in the Valley Dor, beneath the hurtling moons of Mars, speeding their meteoric way close above the bosom of the dying planet, I crept stealthily along the trail of a shadowy form that hugged the darker places with a persistency that proclaimed the sinister nature of its errand.

Out of the Martian Jungle

Imagine, if you can, a bald-faced hornet of your Earthly experience grown to the size of a prize Hereford bull, and you will have some faint conception of the winged monster that bored down upon me.
Frightful jaws in front and a mighty, poisoned sting behind made my relatively puny long-sword seem a pitiful defense indeed. Nor could I hope to escape the lightning-live movements or hide from those myriad facet eyes which covered three-fourths of the hideous head, permitting the creature to see in all directions at once.
To flee was useless, even if it had ever been to my liking to turn my back upon a danger; so I stood my ground, my only hope to die as I had always lived - fighting.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345324536, Mass Market Paperback)

Far to the north, in the frozen wastes of Polar Mars, lay the home of the Holy Therns, sacred and inviolate. Only John Carter dared to go there to find his lost Dejah Thoris. But between him and his goal lay the bones of all who had gone before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:01 -0400)

Inside the walls of this mysterious revolving tower is his beloved wife, Dejah Thoris, the beautiful princess of Barsoom. Worse yet, his wife is trapped there with the lovely but wicked Phaidor, who has sworn to make John Carter her own-even if it means murder. How can Carter gain access to the Temple, whose doors swing open only once a year?… (more)

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible