Beartown: A Novel by Fredrik Backman

Beartown: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Series: Beartown (1)

Member:Stewartry
Title:Beartown: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2017), Edition: Tra, 433 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Beartown by Fredrik Backman

English (80)  German (1)  All languages (81)
I just finished Beartown, and I'm in awe again of Fredrick Backman's storytelling. This one is so different from his charming story of the curmudgeon in A Man Called Ove, but the characters are all drawn carefully and lovingly with their own stories. The emotion just ratchets up and up as the story unfolds. While I'm not much of a hockey fan, that's really not the point, and Backman tells a story that revolves around a love for hockey that is not really a sports story. He makes the reader understand how much energy and devotion that families, friends and even whole communities put into nurturing young players up into the elite levels, and after investing so much, how easy it is to get caught up in that momentum and to be guilty of allowing it to blur the lines of perceived right and wrong. Still, I think we have heard enough about the double standard in cases like this, especially with the MeToo movement, that I hope more credence is being given to girls' claims of rape regardless of who the rapist is. Even in a time in which outside forces leave our idea of right and wrong open to interpretation, we need to hold on to a sense of good and evil. Did Beartown redeem itself in the end?

We all liked "Beartown" very much. Ellie shared the good news that there is an almost-sequel "Us Against You" which I have already reserved at the library. My favorite character was Ramona. We all became to care very much about the characters. There was a discussion about the rape, should it have been reported to the authorities?? This led to talking about Urban Meyer at OSU, Should he be fired for what he knew about his ass't coach"s abusive attacks on his wife? Where do you draw the line about. what should be reported to authorities. How far along the chain of command should you go? Inevitably, we got into OSU's upcoming season which is said to be one of their very best. Losing $$$, losing fans, etc. Without the generous $$$ of fans and alums, what happens to the program? Donna was able to give us a report on how loss of $$$ impacts the program. On and on and on...... Back on track: we enjoyed Beartown, think he is a good writer with a good translator. ( )
  NMBookClub | Aug 17, 2018 |
Roughly a third of the way through this book, two major events happen. The first is a logical culmination of what has been laid out to that point. It is also a catalyst for what could be argued is an equally significant event that follows almost immediately. The author weighs one event against the other in the novel's community. It is also at this point the author reveals the book is indeed of the "young adult" genre. (By the way, why do YA titles almost always center on teenagers rather than young "adults"?) The author does a good job of crafting a number of very memorable significant and not so significant characters who stand out on their own. Also, throughout the book, he sprinkles a number of truly beautifully written moments -- moments that could only have worked so well if the characters had been so finely crafted. However, in general, there is little here that an aware, experienced true "adult" would find beyond what can be found easily in real life. No big issue is debated that hasn't been debated already. Supposedly, this is because the book is actually aimed at much more inexperienced -- and sheltered? -- "young adults". Unfortunately, for all that is good about the book, I question whether the author has any idea how the criminal justice system really works. This is not unimportant to believing the story line. There are a number of problems that show up because of how this is handled. I suspect I was supposed to be wrapped up in much of the over-hyped emotions, and not notice the rough treatment of reality. Perhaps, the biggest flaw in my eyes is the pairing the author makes of two very key characters. One is totally memorable, unique, and charismatic in a supremely humanly flawed way. The book, in my mind, is worth the price of admission for this character alone. And yet, the author has inextricably linked this character to what I can only describe as one huge cliche. Frankly, as much as the author explains why the two characters are linked, I struggle to accept that "logic" on its face. Am I inclined to read the follow-up book by this author on his community of characters? I'm not so sure. ( )
  larryerick | Aug 9, 2018 |
I told myself after reading A Man Called Ove that I needed to stop reading Backman's books while in public. I seem to have forgotten that and that's how I found myself sitting in the pharmacy waiting room with tears in my eyes. This packs an emotional punch that I was not prepared for. Excellent 4.5🌟 ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 23, 2018 |
Friday Night Lights comes to Scandanavia. Predictable and feels like Backman was writing with a movie in mind but still a great read. ( )
  sblock | Jul 18, 2018 |
I just read another Backman, [Beartown]. The second in the series is [Us Against You]. I have loved all the books I have read by him and this is no exception. Beartown centers around a small town defined by their love of hockey. It's all blown apart when a crime happens and people take sides. Still filled with his trademark humor and lots of love, but it does explore dark issues. Backman does a masterful job of not giving away the ending even through the book starts with it. Ha!! How's that for a hook? Now I have to get the second in the series... 4.75 stars ( )
  Berly | Jul 16, 2018 |

Mob mentality/
Rape, revenge, renewal/
Hockey, hate and hope
(HelenGress)

"From the New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, and Britt-Marie Was Here, comes a poignant, charming novel about a forgotten town fractured by scandal, and the amateur hockey team that might just change everything. Winning a junior ice hockey championship might not mean a lot to the average person, but it means everything to the residents of Beartown, a community slowly being eaten alive by unemployment and the surrounding wilderness. A victory like this would draw national attention to the ailing town: it could attract government funding and an influx of talented athletes who would choose Beartown over the big nearby cities. A victory like this would certainly mean everything to Amat, a short, scrawny teenager who is treated like an outcast everywhere but on the ice; to Kevin, a star player just on the cusp of securing his golden future in the NHL; and to Peter, their dedicated general manager whose own professional hockey career ended in tragedy. At first, it seems like the team might have a shot at fulfilling the dreams of their entire town. But one night at a drunken celebration following a key win, something happens between Kevin and the general manager's daughter--and the next day everything seems to have changed. Accusations are made and, like ripples on a pond, they travel through all of Beartown, leaving no resident unaffected. With so much riding on the success of the team, the line between loyalty and betrayal becomes difficult to discern. At last, it falls to one young man to find the courage to speak the truth that it seems no one else wants to hear. Fredrik Backman knows that we are forever shaped by the places we call home, and in this emotionally powerful, sweetly insightful story, he explores what can happen when we carry the heavy weight of other people's dreams on our shoulders"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,030,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible