Beartown: A Novel by Fredrik Backman

Beartown: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Series: Beartown (1)

"From the New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, and Britt-Marie Was Here, comes a poignant, charming novel about a forgotten town fractured by scandal, and the amateur hockey team that might just change everything. Winning a junior ice hockey championship might not mean a lot to the average person, but it means everything to the residents of Beartown, a community slowly being eaten alive by unemployment and the surrounding wilderness. A victory like this would draw national attention to the ailing town: it could attract government funding and an influx of talented athletes who would choose Beartown over the big nearby cities. A victory like this would certainly mean everything to Amat, a short, scrawny teenager who is treated like an outcast everywhere but on the ice; to Kevin, a star player just on the cusp of securing his golden future in the NHL; and to Peter, their dedicated general manager whose own professional hockey career ended in tragedy. At first, it seems like the team might have a shot at fulfilling the dreams of their entire town. But one night at a drunken celebration following a key win, something happens between Kevin and the general manager's daughter--and the next day everything seems to have changed. Accusations are made and, like ripples on a pond, they travel through all of Beartown, leaving no resident unaffected. With so much riding on the success of the team, the line between loyalty and betrayal becomes difficult to discern. At last, it falls to one young man to find the courage to speak the truth that it seems no one else wants to hear. Fredrik Backman knows that we are forever shaped by the places we call home, and in this emotionally powerful, sweetly insightful story, he explores what can happen when we carry the heavy weight of other people's dreams on our shoulders"--… (more)
Member:nakeshabrownreads
Title:Beartown: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2018), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Beartown by Fredrik Backman

English (152)  German (1)  All languages (153)
"The love a parent feels for a child is strange. There is a starting point to our love for everyone else, but not this person. This one we have always loved, we loved them before they existed. No matter how well prepared they are, all moms and dads experience a moment of total shock, when the tidal wave of feelings first washes through them, knocking them off their feet. It's incomprehensible because there's nothing to compare it to. It's like trying to describe sand between your toes or snowflakes on your tongue to someone who's lived their whole life in a dark room. It sends the soul flying " ~Fredrik Backman Beartown

This book was amazing and is responsible for my lack of sleep the past two nights! I love this author, and those that I have recommended his book, A Man Called Ove to, know how much I love this him. He is an amazing writer and can convey so much emotion in his books. When a book leaves you wanting for more, for it not to be over, you know the author has touched you.

Read Beartown... You won't be disappointed. There is so much about this book, but at the core it is about a parents love for their child, no matter how warped that may be. ( )
  foxandbooks | Aug 19, 2020 |
Peter Andersson is the General Manager of the Beartown Ice Hockey Club. He has a wife, Kira, and two children, Maya (15) and Leo (12). The hockey club is in a small town near a forest in northern Sweden where hockey is the town's identity. The junior team is about to become national champions if they can with the semi-final and final games. The town is in an uproar and the players are trying to remain focused. David is the juniors' coach. Sune is the A-team coach. The junior team's hope for victories is pinned on Kevin Erdahl, Benjamin, Bobo, Lyt, Filip, and Amat (a player just promoted to the junior team). Hockey is a rough sport that spills over into "regular" life. All is going ok until Kevin has a party after the semi-final game and Maya is raped by Kevin. This splits the town and greatly affects the town's hope for hockey to save them from poverty and anonymity. ( )
  baughga | Aug 7, 2020 |
Beartown is a hockey town, as we are told early and often in this book. It is not possible to live there and not be a fan of the junior and senior teams. Beartown is also a small town on the edge of a forest that has seen better days. Its hopes are in its hockey teams and their stars. On the eve of the most important day of the year, an act of violence threatens to ruin the hopes of the town, while traumatizing a young girl. This book explores how hard it is to do the right thing when it is unpopular, the effect of sports culture on a small town, social class, and growing up different. ( )
  rglossne | Jul 1, 2020 |
This wasn't the book for me. I probably should have known that by reading the back cover - but I do like a book with a strong sense of place and I was looking for something different from my regular reads and I thought it seemed like it might be interesting.

The good part was that it did have a strong setting. I haven't read very many books set in Sweden and I liked the way the author took care to describe not only the weather and the landscape but also the people and the cultural quirks.

I didn't enjoy the heavy handed foreshadowing that goes on and on in the book. Honestly, foreshadowing suggests there is something subtle about it and there isn't. I don't like constantly being told to watch out - things are going to happen! It's annoying to me.

I also found the dialog and the choices the characters made (especially by the teenagers - especially especially by the female teenagers) felt really strained and inauthentic. Some of that could lie in translation - but some of it was definitely more than that.

Anyway, I am sure there are some people who will really enjoy this book and maybe find it in some way relatable - but it really wasn't my cup of tea. ( )
  alanna1122 | Jun 30, 2020 |
The bestselling author of A Man Called Ove tells a poignant story of a hockey town paralyzed by scandal. Jobs are disappearing and Beartown is slowly dying, so for its citizens, hockey is everything. Backman asks, “Why does everyone care about hockey? Because hockey tells stories.” This is the story not just of hockey, but of a 15-year-old named Maya Andersson, whose father, Peter, the general manager of the hockey club, loves hockey, but loves his family more. Seventeen-year-old Kevin Erdahl is the star of Beartown, with a chance to go professional. One night, after a huge win, Maya goes to a raucous party at Kevin’s house and is thrilled at his attention, but things get out of hand, and what takes place changes Beartown forever. Lest readers think hockey is the star here, it’s Backman’s rich characters that steal the show, and his deft handling of tragedy and its effects on an insular town. While the story is dark at times, love, sacrifice, and the bonds of friendship and family shine through, ultimately offering hope and even redemption. Backman veers close to the saccharine, but readers may be too spellbound to notice.
added by VivienneR | editPublisher's Weekly (Feb 17, 2017)

Fredrik Backmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, NeilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my grandmother, Saga Backman, who taught me to love sports. What a quiet life I would have lived without her. I hope that the big bar in heaven serves proper dry martinis, and that they always show Wimbledon on the big screen. I miss you.

And for Neda Shafti-Backman, my funniest, smartest, more arguentative best friend who picks me up when I need it, and keeps my feet on the grund when I deserve it.
Asheghetam
Late one evening toward the end of March, a teenager picked up a double-barreled shotgun, walked into the forest, put the gun to someone else's forehead, and pulled the trigger.
“Never trust people who don't have something in their lives that they love beyond all reason.”
“For the perpetrator, rape lasts just a matter of minutes. For the victim, it never stops.”

Mob mentality/
Rape, revenge, renewal/
Hockey, hate and hope
(HelenGress)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,764,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible