The Guests on South Battery by Karen White

The Guests on South Battery

by Karen White

The Guests on South Battery is the first book I have read by Karen White. Since I love paranormal stories and the American South did this book seem very promising. I also was curious to read something by Karen White, to see if her books were my cup of tea. And, I can say after this book that it worked on some levels, but it also had for me some flaws that I had problems with.

Let's start with the good things about the book. I loved the setting and the idea of the story. Old houses, ghosts, a mystery ready to be solved and family rivalry. That was great. Many of the supporting characters were quite nice, I especially liked Sophie. I think that's because we share a love for old houses. And, Melanie's mother Ginny is pretty cool. And, at first, Melanie was not so bad herself. However, and here come some things that bothered me, and it all started with Melanie. I love quirky characters, but Melanie's OCD was more annoying than quirky. I have battled my own OCD (Still do in some way) and I feel that I perhaps should have some sympathies. But, it was, to be honest mostly annoying to read about her control issues. I think she has a lot of issues she should deal with to let go of her anxiety. As my fellow buddy reader wrote about her when she discussed the book: "she's a bit uptight". Spot on that was my thought as well while reading the book.

However, I did in some way enjoy the book, but the plot was extremely predictable. Not surprised me since I had already predicted what would happen. Or perhaps I'm just psychic? I did like the cliffhanger ending, and I have the first book in the series so I will definitely read more by the author, despite my problems with the book. However, I do hope the next book I will read will be more to my liking.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
As the story opens the reader finds Melanie married to Jack Trenholm and the mother of twin who has just returned to work as a real estate agent. A client that has inherited a Charleston home on South Battery wants Melanie to handle the sale... but Melanie is reluctant at first because she has had so many problems with the house she inherited. She has gone to check the house out and is bombarded with some very strange feelings regarding the beautiful Charleston resident.

If you can't accept in theory that you can make contact with spirits or enjoy books that run to that theme...then this is NOT the book for you. However if you can go with the flow and fun of these “contacts” you will have a delightful time on South Battery. It's the 5th book in the Tradd Street series so you might want to start with [The House on Tradd Street]. The books all have strong plots and Karen White carries them out with diversified, delightful, often funny characters. [The Guests on South Battery] will appeal to anyone that likes a little "chill" in their reading. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 25, 2017 |
Melanie Trenholm reluctantly ends her extended maternity leave in the fifth novel in the Tradd Street series returning to her job as a Charleston real estate agent. Although temporary babysitting arrangements of the twins have been parceled out among Jack, her stay-at-home writer husband, and the grandmothers, a nanny needs to be recruited. As luck would have it, her first client upon return is Jayne Smith, a professional nanny recently relocated from Alabama. She moved when she became the benefactor of an old home on South Battery from Button Pinckney, a woman who Jayne never met nor knew. Enough money remained in the will to renovate the home, which Jayne hopes to do do in order to purchase a more modern home in Charleston. Although Jayne is hired as the twin's nanny, the presence of the mysterious and attractive young woman is disconcerting to the recently married and insecure Melanie. As in the previous novels, the story isn't without ghostly visitors whose presence interfere with the renovation.

One can tell that Karen White loves Charleston in her precise and loving descriptions of this Southern city. This novel ends with a cliff hanger letting the reader know that there will be a sixth novel in the future. I can't wait! ( )
  John_Warner | Aug 26, 2017 |
5 star for the #5 in The Tradd Street Series! Karen White just can't leave without having us hang for another year in suspense waiting for #6, that's what a good author does. You won't be disappointed with this book, she changes the plot around, makes more questions develop throughout the whole book, gives you a little love, a little taste of Charleston, and a bit of ghostly scare too. I love all her writings but this series has been my favorite. Please write more and quickly. ( )
  mchwest | Aug 18, 2017 |
A young woman is left a home in Charleston by someone she does not know. That is the mystery that must be revealed. What was the relationship between these two strangers? Add an OCD realtor and some unhappy ghosts set in a city known for its ghost tours and you have a fine story. My thanks to the author and the Penguin First to Read program for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | May 27, 2017 |

New York Times bestselling author Karen White invites you to explore the brick-walked streets of Charleston, where historic mansions house the memories of years gone by, and restless spirits refuse to fade away...

With her extended maternity leave at its end, Melanie Trenholm is less than thrilled to leave her new husband and beautiful twins to return to work, especially when she’s awoken by a phone call with no voice on the other end—and the uneasy feeling that the ghostly apparitions that have stayed silent for more than a year are about to invade her life once more.

But her return to the realty office goes better than she could have hoped, with a new client eager to sell the home she recently inherited on South Battery. Most would treasure living in one of the grandest old homes in the famous historic district of Charleston, but Jayne Smith would rather sell hers as soon as possible, guaranteeing Melanie a quick commission.

Despite her stroke of luck, Melanie can’t deny that spirits—both malevolent and benign—have started to show themselves to her again. One is shrouded from sight, but appears whenever Jayne is near. Another arrives when an old cistern is discovered in Melanie’s backyard on Tradd Street.

Melanie knows nothing good can come from unearthing the past. But some secrets refuse to stay buried....

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 17 Sep 2016 13:17:53 -0400)

"New York Times bestselling author Karen White invites you to explore the brick-walked streets of Charleston, where historic mansions house the memories of years gone by and restless spirits refuse to fade away.... With her extended maternity leave at its end, Melanie Trenholm is less than thrilled to leave her new husband and beautiful twins to return to work, especially when she's awakened by a phone call with no voice on the other end--and the uneasy feeling that the ghostly apparitions that have stayed silent for more than a year are about to invade her life once more. But her return to the realty office goes better than she could have hoped, with a new client eager to sell the home she recently inherited on South Battery. Most would treasure living in one of the grandest old homes in the famous historic district of Charleston, but Jayne Smith would rather sell it as soon as possible, guaranteeing Melanie a quick commission. Despite her stroke of luck, Melanie can't deny that spirits--both malevolent and benign--have started to appear to her again. One is shrouded from sight, appearing whenever Jayne is near. Another arrives when an old cistern is discovered in her backyard on Tradd Street. Melanie knows nothing good can come from unearthing the past. But some secrets refuse to stay buried..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,839,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible