Gertrude and Toby Meet the Wolf (Gertrude…

Gertrude and Toby Meet the Wolf (Gertrude and Toby Fairy-Tale Adventure…

by Shari Tharp

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This story is sweet. I reminds me of the story “The Boy who Cried Wolf” when Gertrude and Toby see a little boy. The boy say he see a wolf. If you know that fairy tale story. The moral of the story you think this story is going be somewhat like that.

It also features another story or fairy Tale which is called “The Three Little Pigs”. The author does wonderful with mixing it a bit with the two starting with “The boy who Cried Wolf” scenes and then somewhat changed it to add the “The Three Little Pigs” scenes. The ending is done cute as well.

My favorite is the artwork that is done. The pictures are drawn well. I really like that. They look like some took the time to draw the scene and the the wording was put together after. Who will win their fishing contest? ( )
  Lindz2012 | Sep 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great Book! I work with kindergarten and first grade and they loved it. ( )
  Joannacimorelli | Jun 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is my daughter's favorite Gertrude and Toby. It's an easy read with an engaging story of these faithful friends. Getting themselves in and out of scrapes over and over in this remix of children stories. ( )
  Eric.Osborn | Jul 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this book to my little sister and we both really enjoyed it. I like the spin on some fairy tales and the illustrations are so cute and funny. This is the first of the adventure series I read and my sister has asked if we can get the rest, she's a big fan. ( )
  StefyMariah | May 30, 2017 |
Gertrude and Toby are off for another Friday Adventure! This time they are going fishing at Trout Lake. However, they are constantly being interrupted by a young boy shouting that a wolf is coming. Finally, the young boy is caught by the wolf. Gertrude and Toby decide to help the boy, but end up leading the wolf straight to his favorite meal, the three pigs!

One more amusing adventure for Gertrude and Toby, this time combining the fairy tales of The Boy Who Cried Wolf and The Three Little Pigs. I loved that Gertrude and Toby continue to show that friends can have differences and that teamwork is best. This unlikely pair also shows ingenuity for the silly problems that they tend to get into. My little one loved the colorful but simple pictures of the comical animals.

​This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | May 5, 2017 |
For Sara-Ashley. ST
Dad—Thanks for teaching me to be an artist. JH
Gertrude and Toby are best friends and live at McFarland Farms.
You better hope so, said the third little pig, or we'll toss out the turtle. Turtle soup can be mighty tasty.

I declare, squeaked Toby, I'm a tortoise!

Gertrude the goat and Toby the tortoise are going fishing at Trout Lake for their Friday adventure. While at the lake, they see a little boy being dragged off by a hungry wolf! They follow the wolf and rescue the little boy, but the wolf doesn't give up. He goes after them, determined to get his lunch back!

Book 3 in the Gertrude and Toby fairy tale adventure book series

Gertrude and Toby Meet the Wolf is an exciting adventure story for children who are transitioning from beginning readers to chapter books. This is the perfect book for the child who has been tasked with the usual 30-minutes-per-night reading homework. From the standpoint of reading progression, this title fills a specific niche that represents a gap in the children's book market--longer illustrated children's books that are more complex and challenging than typical picture books.

Gertrude and Toby Meet the Wolf incorporates many traditional fairy-tale characters that will be immediately recognizable to many young readers. These characters include the Boy Who Cried Wolf, the Three Little Pigs, and of course, the Big Bad Wolf. The presence of these fairy-tale characters adds familiarity for young readers and keeps alive the old tales (e.g., those by the Brothers Grimm) that we have all come to know and love.

The first and second books in the series, Gertrude and Toby's Friday Adventure and Gertrude and Toby Save the Gingerbread Man, follow the same approach, incorporating fairy-tale characters in contemporary settings. These are modern stories with more complex plots and wording than those of standard picture books, but without the daunting word count of typical beginning chapter books.

We hope you love Gertrude and Toby and their series of adventure books as much as we do. Happy reading!

Gertrude the Goat and Toby the Tortoise are going fishing at Trout Lake for their Friday adventure. On their way, they make a new friend, but unfortunately he is carried off by a hungry wolf! They follow the wolf and rescue their friend, but the wolf isn't giving up. He goes after them, determined to get his "lunch" back!.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shari Tharp's book Gertrude and Toby Meet the Wolf was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Atlas Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Atlas Publishing.

Editions: 0996967974, 1945033002

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,065,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible