Cómo ser un estoico: Utilizar la filosofía…

Cómo ser un estoico: Utilizar la filosofía antigua para vivir una vida… (edition 2018)

by Massimo Pigliucci (Autor), Francisco García Lorenzana (Traductor)

In the tradition of How to Live and How Proust Can Change Your Life, a philosopher asks how ancient Stoicism can help us flourish today Whenever we worry about what to eat, how to love, or simply how to be happy, we are worrying about how to lead a good life. No goal is more elusive. In How to Be a Stoic, philosopher Massimo Pigliucci offers Stoicism, the ancient philosophy that inspired the great emperor Marcus Aurelius, as the best way to attain it. Stoicism is a pragmatic philosophy that focuses our attention on what is possible and gives us perspective on what is unimportant. By understanding Stoicism, we can learn to answer crucial questions: Should we get married or divorced? How should we handle our money in a world nearly destroyed by a financial crisis? How can we survive great personal tragedy? Whoever we are, Stoicism has something for us--and How to Be a Stoic is the essential guide.… (more)
Member:10yogures
Title:Cómo ser un estoico: Utilizar la filosofía antigua para vivir una vida moderna (Ariel)
Authors:Massimo Pigliucci (Autor)
Other authors:Francisco García Lorenzana (Traductor)
Info:Editorial Ariel (2018), 256 pages
Tags:to-read

How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life by Massimo Pigliucci

How to Be a Stoic is a fine introduction to the philosophy and practice of Stoicism. If I were a relative blank slate and wished to mold my beliefs and choices to a philosophy, Stoicism would be close to the best fit for me. I also realized while reading that I've been doing a lot of this for the past 20+ years anyway. Only I wasn't focused solely on Stoicism. I've long been sampling the philosophies of the world and molding my... self, or sharpening the 'what I believe in' part of my mind, in the natural course of living and being introspective for the entirety of my adult life.

This introduction to Stoicism was worth checking out from a historical perspective but much of the practical stuff I already do without knowing I was very much a Stoic at heart. Still, it's good to be able to describe what I've come to understand as valuable skills for living. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Aug 7, 2020 |
Good way to get introduced to various Stoics. Really liked the practical spiritual exercises in the last chapter. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
Focusing extensively on the discourses of Epictetus, this book is a fine introduction to practical stoicism as a personal practice. ( )
  Beniaminus | Aug 25, 2019 |
Excellent presentation on the history and philosophy of stoicism. This book is very user friendly. The last chapter on Practical Spiritual Exercises provides the reader on how to incorporate stoicism into their life.

1. Examine your impressions
2. Remind yourself of the impermanence of things.
3. The reserve clause
4. How can I use virtue here and now
5. Pause and take a deep breath
6. Choose your company well
7. Speak little and well
8. Respond to insults with humor
9. Don't speak too much about yourself
10. Speak without judging ( )
  writemoves | Jun 17, 2019 |
Stoicism is an ancient philosophical practice that originated in Greece. Author Massimo Pigliucci writes of the teachings of his favorite Stoic Master, Epictetus, doing his best to give it modern context and applications. This is not a difficult task since a lot of issues that bothered the Ancient Greeks annoy and pester us to this day.

While Pigliucci prefers the Stoic practices of Epictetus, he is quick to point out that there are other Philosophies out there. The author mainly focuses on Western Philosophy since that is what he is most familiar with, but he also brings up Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, and others that might be better for you.

So this book was really enjoyable, but it is also quite humbling since I can see my own foibles present in the virtues of Stoicism. It works as a strange dichotomy because it is easy to know what to do. The problem is calming your knee-jerk reaction to events that happen. Sure I could get angry at the driver that just cut me off, but what is the purpose of the anger? In the end, you only hurt yourself and your own personal development. In this case, I find myself acting out impulsively even when I know I shouldn’t.

In the final section of the book, we find specific advice on how to be a more virtuous person. A lot of this advice is quite welcome to me. For instance, chances are that you have met someone who gossips. This isn’t even limited to having to talk to someone; go to your local Grocery Store and just look at all the inane babble that is printed. Oh no, a baby vomited on Tom Cruise. Look at that, a Kardashian did something. Who cares? It’s all the same in that sort of garbage. I know I live under a rock in a lot of ways since the news depresses me, but it has good advice on that sort of thing too. When someone murders a school full of innocent children, it is easy to call that person evil and wish terrible things upon them. However, Stoicism is a bit like Christianity in that it tells you to hate the crime and not the criminal. Condemn the sin, not the sinner. This is an interesting idea and probably the most difficult thing to do.

Anyway, this book was really good. I enjoyed reading it and would heartily recommend it if you are interested in Stoic Philosophy and personal development. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
In every culture we know of, whether it be secular or religious, ethnically diverse or not, the question of how to live is central.

Massimo Pigliucci is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,523,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible