Celine: A novel by Peter Heller

Celine: A novel (edition 2017)

by Peter Heller (Author)

Member:Effinghamlibrarynh
Title:Celine: A novel
Authors:Peter Heller (Author)
Info:Knopf (2017), Edition: 1st, 352 pages

Celine: A novel by Peter Heller

Heller's Dog Stars was fantastic; The Painter was great; but Celine was a huge disappointment. Just a conglomeration of ramblings assembled into a single book. Hope his next novel is back up to his talents. ( )
  exfed | Jun 19, 2017 |
I forgot how much I like Peter Heller. A good story and great characters. I loved Celine - she's worth reading. ( )
  libsue | Jun 12, 2017 |
Celine is not your typical private investigator. For some reason, people seem to underestimate 80-year old women with emphysema and a portable oxygen tank and Celine uses this to her advantage. Celine is feisty, shocking, and fearless and once she sets her mind on solving a cold missing person's case, there is nothing that will stand in her way. When Gabriella hires Celine to find her missing father, Celine and her husband, Pete, set out across the west in a camper to solve the cold case and find out what really happened.

As with the author's other books, the landscape is richly described. I greatly enjoyed Celine's spunk and spirit, which was reminiscent of Lizbeth Salander or Flavia de Luce on a quest. While the story was a little succinct, I enjoyed Celine and Pete's adventure and would look forward to reading another novel featuring these characters again. ( )
  voracious | May 31, 2017 |
It's not often that a novel features older characters, much less a long-married couple, much, much less a strong senior female lead. Think Nancy Drew as a spirited retiree PI who's a crack shot, thinks of her husband as the Watson to her Holmes, and is always up for an adventure and a road trip. I didn't just love Celene; she was so vividly drawn that I want to be her. Liked the story, loved the characters who populated the pages. ( )
  angiestahl | May 27, 2017 |
Very good book. Unusual mystery story that also tells us all about Celine and what drew her to finding missing people. The prose is wonderful and I could imagine myself in his descriptive landscape. The characters were well-defined and each interesting in his own right. ( )
  bogopea | May 22, 2017 |

From the best-selling author of The Dog Stars and The Painter, a luminous, masterful novel of suspense--the story of Celine, an elegant, aristocratic private eye who specializes in reuniting families, trying to make amends for a loss in her own past.

Working out of her jewel box of an apartment at the base of the Brooklyn Bridge, Celine has made a career of tracking down missing persons, and she has a better record at it than the FBI. But when a young woman, Gabriela, asks for her help, a world of mystery and sorrow opens up. Gabriela's father was a photographer who went missing on the border of Montana and Wyoming. He was assumed to have died from a grizzly mauling, but his body was never found. Now, as Celine and her partner head to Yellowstone National Park, investigating a trail gone cold, it becomes clear that they are being followed--that this is a case someone desperately wants to keep closed. Combining the exquisite plotting and gorgeous evocation of nature that have become his hallmark, with a wildly engrossing story of family, privilege, and childhood loss, Peter Heller gives us his finest work to date.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 19 Sep 2016 15:14:06 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible