Devils and Details by Devon Monk

Devils and Details (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Devon Monk

Police Chief Delaney Reed is good at keeping secrets for the beach town of Ordinary Oregon-just ask the vacationing gods or supernatural creatures who live there. But with the first annual Cake and Skate fundraiser coming up, the only secret Delaney really wants to know is how to stop the unseasonable rain storms. When all the god powers are stolen, a vampire is murdered, and her childhood crush turns out to be keeping deadly secrets of his own, rainy days are the least of her worries. Hunting a murderer, outsmarting a know-it-all god, and uncovering an ancient vampire's terrifying past isn't how she planned to spend her summer. But then again, neither is falling back in love with the one man she should never trust.… (more)
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Devils and Details
Authors:Devon Monk
Info:Devon Monk
Collections:Read, Read this year, ebooks, Working on
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!Po, Fic, SF, _import191111, __make_cover

Devils and Details by Devon Monk (2016)

The troubles in Ordinary ramp up; we get a little (very little) more info about the war foreshadowed at the end of the first book. One death and three assaults. And a heck of a lot of dancing around truth between Delaney and Ryder - we do find out (some of) what's up with him, and he finds out at least some of what goes on in Ordinary. And he jumps in, with not enough info, and puts himself, Delaney, and possibly the whole town in a rather awkward situation. I think Mithra was cheating from the start - from Piper's birth, at least, he lied to her mother and to her. It will be...interesting...if the author follows that track, since Ryder now has the ability to see if someone's cheating... I definitely want to read the next book(s). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 30, 2019 |
I love reading about Delaney and her adventures. She has a firm grasp on who she is as an individual and will not let anyone change that about her. She stands up for herself and knows her worth. I love that she is giving other people a chance in her life and that she is always willing to grow as a person ( )
  Michelle_Boyea | Jun 7, 2019 |
This is the second volume in the Ordinary Magic series, there are three books in this series right now. I continue to really enjoy the characters and the unique town of Ordinary. I didn’t enjoy this book quite as much as the first one, possibly because the novelty of the idea behind Ordinary has worn off a bit. However, this was still a highly entertaining book that was a fun and quick read.

Delaney is again juggling many issues at once. The Gods’ powers have gone missing and a vampire has been murdered; somehow Ryder is involved in all this but Delaney can’t figure out how. Both Delaney and Ryder have many layers of secrets in their pasts and they need to start trusting each other if they are ever going to figure out all of these mysteries.

I still love all the crazy and quirky characters in here and enjoy this crazy town where gods come to vacation. I enjoy our lead characters as well. Monk has a wonderful writing style that is fun and easy to read and I always just fly right through her books.

Overall this was a great installment in the Ordinary Magic series. I am very excited to see how things wrap up in the final book in this series, Gods and Ends. I would recommend to those who enjoy creative and somewhat light-hearted investigative urban fantasy. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 7, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,182,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible