Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat

Owls in the Family (1961)

by Farley Mowat

Other authors: Robert Frankenberg (Illustrator)

Summary:
“Owls in the Family” tells of two owls by the names of Wol and Wheeps. These two owls cause quite a commotion in their neighborhood. A little boy by the name of Billy comes in and saves the day when he brings the bird’s home and makes they part of his family.
Personal Reaction:
Being an animal lover, I enjoyed this book. The humor with the owls and how they handle the situations they encountered kept me wanting more by the end of every page.
Extensions:
1. Ask the children to draw an owl
2. Have the children write some fun facts they know about owls
  caitlynf | Mar 26, 2017 |
I really liked this book when I was like 8 years old. Fun story of a boy from Saskatoon raising a couple wild owls. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is simply a delightful story. I loved the adventures of Farley Mowat, his owls and the rest of his menagerie in Saskatoon. Farley was a budding naturalist even in his boyhood and his explorations involved sloughs, caves, bluffs, and all sorts of creatures (including human bullies). It was amazing how many "pets" his parents not only tolerated but invited into the family. Several incidents were so funny that I had to read them aloud to share the laughs; I especially loved the pranks and the huffy reactions of the dominant owl, Wol. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I read this book with my 7 year old girl over the last couple of weeks. This was her first real book. We both enjoyed the cute and funny story with some illustrations. ( )
  navyjoe98 | Feb 10, 2015 |
A little disjointed in places, but an otherwise delightful book that my kids and I all enjoyed immensely. I do hope this doesn't mean they're going to want to try and raid nests now. My play-by-the-rules, animal-loving nine-year-old wouldn't but my impulsive, play-by-his-own-rules nearly five-year-old is a little less predictable. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 16, 2014 |

Farley Mowatprimary authorall editionscalculated
Frankenberg, RobertIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Sandy and David who had an owl in their family too
One May morning my friend Bruce and I went for a hike on the prairie.

The adventures of two owls who shake up an entire neighborhood and turn a house topsy-turvy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

The story of two owls named Wol and Weeps who live with a family in Canada.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,298,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible